276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Space Between Us: This year's most life-affirming, awe-inspiring read – Selected for BBC 2 Between the Covers 2023 (Volume 1) (The Enceladons Trilogy)

£4.995£9.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Sandy is an alien creature and, without knowing anything about it, people have very different reactions to it.

I was gripped from the first page, it was almost unputdownable and unpredictable in its twists and turns. Many thanks to Orenda Books and Netgalley for providing me with an ARC in exchange for an honest review. Before embarking on his literary career, he designed radar and missile guidance systems for military aircraft.The heroes’ respective circumstances give Sandy opportunities to interact with very human problems on our home ground. They all have their own personal issues to deal with, but they are drawn back together when there are reports of an octupus-type creature washed up on a local beach. A copy of this book was kindly provided to me by Netgalley and Orenda Books in exchange for an honest review. They each wake up the next morning in the same stroke ward I was in, having recovered completely, while others who suffered the same stroke have died.

Doug Johnstone draws a profound and quiet connection between each character and Sandy and especially between Lennox and Sandy whose contact is very special. This is absolutely the case with The Space Between Us which, whilst having it's roots - or perhaps tentacles - in science-fiction, goes far beyond a simple first contact story with a being from another planet, into a story which is an exquisite look at human nature, a need to find our place in life, and the trials and harsh tribulations we endure on our journey.But they aren’t the only ones with an interest in the alien … close behind are Ava’s husband, the police and a government unit who wants to capture the creature, at all costs.

They find they have a curious connection to this creature and a strong will to ensure that Sandy survives. Doug Johnstone dipped his toes in the water of science fiction with Fault Lines, and now with The Space Between Us has dived in fully - but has not abandoned what I love about his novels, which is his amazing character work. Sandy was probably my favourite, they had more humanity than humans and it is through Sandy that we are reminded of the human need to belong, to have friends and family and be part of something.Most of the story involves a chase to take the alien away from scientists and police who might exploit or harm it. Inevitably, darker forces also want to investigate Sandy, so the three take drastic action that leads to a chase across Scotland. What’s more confusing is the fact that they all fully recovered before they received any medical treatment. So I owe gratitude to Anne Cater of Random Things Tours for offering me one of the coveted places and to the publisher for providing me with a digital copy of the book for the purpose or review. Instead, it also includes the human side of things with topics such as bullying, cancer, grief, death, suicide, (domestic) abuse and gaslighting.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment