276°
Posted 20 hours ago

UPROAR!: Satire, Scandal and Printmakers in Georgian London

£12.5£25.00Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

A brilliant new history of Georgian Britain through the eyes of the artists who immortalised it, by one of the UK's most exciting young historians.

Come face to face with a roaring Tyrannosaurus Rex and soaring Pterodactyls inside this fully immersive indoor play area. Design your very own interactive 3D Dinosaur and explore an explosive volcano slide! We promise to entertain your intrepid little adventurers.I would have liked the prints selected for this book to have been a bit larger (and, ideally, in colour, though I do understand this would likely have made an already-pricey book even more expensive to print), so I could read the speech bubbles and properly take in the details. I also personally wasn’t a fan of the fabricated dialogue and the numerous heavy-handed comparative references to modern pop culture for humorous effect didn’t really work for me either, but that’s just a matter of personal taste rather than quality. In March 2023, I published my debut non-fiction history book, UPROAR!, which tells the thrilling story of London’s satirists from the late Georgian period. This book has been an absolute delight to read and review. Alice Loxton has given us an insightful, witty and marvelous history of Georgian Britain never seen before. This is an incredible debut and it's so exciting to see a new female historian of such calibre. Covering the age of Georges III and IV, UPROAR! details the lives and scandals of Londoners through the American and French revolutions, the age of Napoleon, and beyond. Once more, It was reviewed in The Times , The New Statesman , TLS , LRB , The Spectator, BBC History Magazine, Country Life and The Mail on Sunday. I also wrote a piece which was printed in The Telegraph , and appeared on BBC Radio 4’s Loose Ends and twice on Times Radio .

Vivid, pacey and endlessly engaging, this brilliant debut brings the late Georgian period dazzlingly to life. Irresistible stuff -- Tracy Borman, author of CROWN AND SCEPTRE Uproar! Play Barn is located at The Yorkshire Hive, which is a free-to-enter destination adjacent to Yorkshire Wildlife Park. For writing work I’m represented by Hardman and Swainson, and my publisher is Icon Books. My writing has featured in The Telegraph, The Times, The Spectator, Tatler, The Critic, Country Life Magazine and BBC Music Magazine. I’ve interviewed many historians and individuals about their work including Dan Jones, Sir Don McCullin, Saul David, Philippa Langley and Peter Frankopan. I’ve presented many history documentaries, been interviewed as a talking head, and appeared on live international broadcasts. You can see many of my documentaries at History Hit TV and on the History Hit YouTube channel, or have a watch of my showreel, here. My agent is Helen Purvis - please don’t hesitate to get in touch.

Loxton plunges us headfirst into the tumultuous world of London's eighteenth-century printmakers in this lively, riveting and pacy account -- Charlotte Mullins, author of A LITTLE HISTORY OF ART Friday 31st March - In conversation with Dan Snow at the Sheldonian Theatre, Oxford Literary Festival

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment