276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Herd: the unputdownable, thought-provoking must-read Richard & Judy book club pick

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Had me so gripped I raced through it in two days. A story about parenting decisions, betrayal and friendships - guaranteed to spark lively conversations with everyone who reads it. Sarah Turner, The Unmumsy Mum They weren’t exactly chalk and cheese; more like cheese and pineapple - a weird, unexpected pairing that just worked”. Do you agree with this statement about Elizabeth and Bry’s friendship? Why do you think it “just worked”? Frankie Gray, publishing director at Transworld, pre-empted world English language rights in The Herdfrom Nelle Andrew at Rachel Mills Literary. Except this is MMR and how many parents were scared or ignorant or didn’t want the MMR for their babies for all sorts of reasons.

When was the last time you heard of someone contracting polio in this country?’ Sophie asked, still calm, still smiling. Do you agree with the statement that there is no competition between friends if they are different? The characters were strong and well executed and the research meticulous. The balance the author gives to both sides of the story is just perfect. The court case wrapped up with a great twist I didn’t see coming.Yes, absolutely we are. One hundred per cent yes,’ he said, without even looking my way. Sophie smiled her calm smile at him, the one I’d seen her use with her young kids. The Herd is a wonderful book, skilfully written, compassionate and balanced. It grips from the start and doesn't let go, sending us on a journey that's both timely and controversial, through masterful storytelling, brilliantly drawn characters and huge swathes of emotion. Jenny Quintana The Herd follows Elizabeth and Bryony – two women with very different viewpoints and perspectives. Did you identify more with one character than the other? Why? Despite such a contentious issue, the author manages to make neither heroes nor villains of the two main characters, as we watch their friendship implode after a chain of heart-breaking events that ends up in the courtroom, as well as the other characters we meet along the way. The 80-something with a polio-withered leg, the internet troll who wishes death on anti-vaxxers, the husband who wants to support his wife, while fearing for the health of his child.

Each one desperately living their offspring. Mistakes easily made having a domino effect on another with consequences unforgivable. And, unfortunate. But with well meaning at that time. Little do they know that they differ radically over one very important issue. And when Bryony, afraid of being judged, tells what is supposed to be a harmless white lie before a child’s birthday party, the consequences are more catastrophic than either of them could ever have imagined . . . Transworld has pre-empted The Herd by Emily Edwards, a book club novel about two women who, for differing reasons, don't have their children vaccinatedwhich leads to devastating consequences. Scattered between the two women's stories are inputs from others - those others being rather a mixed bunch of seemingly unrelated people. It takes a while to figure out that the are unrelated as they just appear in italics without names or descriptions. We have a woman with polio, an online troll who loves seeding arguments and pouring oil on the flames, and a bunch of other women (I think they are all women) each throwing in their few pennies worth. It's a bit odd. The Herd is a very timely read just now with the ongoing pandemic and the hot topic on vaccinations. It follows Bry and Elizabeth who have an unlikely but close friendship, with different views on preventative healthcare for their children. I enjoyed this book much more than I thought I would, and it was a refreshing take on vaccinations and the outcomes that may occur as vaccine numbers reduce for many countries. Gemma, WA, 4 Stars

What was the inspiration behind The Herd?

We have chosen to vaccinate our sons and I believe it was the right thing to do; both for us and to help protect others. That doesn’t mean I didn’t dread the moment the needle entered their soft bodies. But I knew it would be infinitely worse to watch them contract measles, meningitis or whooping cough – knowing I could have prevented their suffering. A masterpiece of emotional nuance, this novel makes you think. It challenges pre-conceived attitudes and beliefs and it turns your heart upside down and inside out.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment