276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Official Downton Abbey Cookbook (Downton Abbey Cookery)

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Recipe Note from the book: This is an English classic, and done badly, it remains the source of nightmares for many people forced to prepare and cook at school. ( where it was often done with the whole cauliflower, serve soggy on the outside and raw in the middle) With a foreword by Gareth Neame, executive producer and co-creator of Downton Abbey, and featuring over 100 stunning color photographs, The Downton Abbey Cookbook also includes a special section on hosting Downton-themed dinner parties and presents stills from across the TV series as well as the latest film. Notes on the etiquette and customs of the times, quotes from the characters, and descriptions of the scenes in which the foods appear provide vivid context for the dishes. Each of the sections that discuss the series "Downton Abbey" in various ways are informative and educational, but are never "over-done" There are multiple discussions of the Grantham Family as well as the servants, but there is also a greater discussion of British Society and history as well. As Downton Abbey is a snapshot of British Class and the way the people of England interacted and lived together. The research and historic work that went into this cookbook is clear. I believe the TV show is a great window into this time in history and the author proves this successfully. I also had to put the jelly in the freezer for an hour because I didn’t see the part about the jelly being in the fridge for at least 8 hours. It worked, and the Champagne Jelly really does end up keeping the Champagne taste (or Prosecco in my case). Turbot is one of the most prized fish in French cuisine, and the recipe for Turbot with Hollandaise would make a suitably extravagant centerpiece for a Downton-themed dinner – but if you don’t (yet) own a turbotière, you may need to improvise your cooking arrangements to accommodate the fish’s unusual shape.

Book Review — “The Official Downton Abbey Cookbook” by Dr. Annie Gray (2019) published by @weldonowen The "Lunch and Supper" chapter was centered on recipes for the midday meal. Items like "Sardine Salad"(a lovely preparation), "Lobster Cutlets", "Ham with Red Wine and Almonds", "Cornish Pasties"(traditional meat pies), "Eggs A La St James" and "Vegetable Curry" A history of the midday meal as it is observed in England and has included as well as "Notes' for each recipe discussing how the dish is singular to the series or can be changed to suit tastes. Food historian Annie Gray in The Official Downton Abbey Cookbook offers up not only a feast for the eyes and the palette, but a marvelous historical journey through the lives, the country homes, the foods, the kitchens, and the people who populated such places as the fictional Downton Abbey. Gray has done extensive research on the meals included in the world of Downton Abbey and chosen those suited to a contemporary palate that can be replicated in today’s kitchens. Make sure you set your oven to the right temp, I accidentally baked my first batch at 250 vs 200 and ended up with mocha colored meringues (still very good, and I’ll use them with chocolate ice cream). But I did have to make them over for this dinner.There are tons of pictures. Very easy to follow recipes. Very clear on instructions and ingredients. Accessible to most skill levels, some recipes require a bit more effort than others or a special pan or two.

Rather than being carefully moulded and garnished, the dishes are typically served in the vessel they were cooked in, and while some of them take a long time to simmer or bake, the effort and time involved in making them is minimal. There are things I would have done differently – less sauce on my fillets, making sure my fruit didn’t bob to the top of the mold (or what ends up being the bottom)– maybe my fruit pieces were sliced too thin and hence too light?

Customer reviews

The quintessential breakfast associated with the English upper classes, is of course, Kedgeree, a lightly spiced dish of rice, fish, and hard-boiled eggs. Modern versions often use smoked fish, and the dish is especially associated with finnan haddie, a lightly smoked fish from Scotland that was popularised in Britain once the Victorian railway boom made it possible to transport it to London without spoiling. SERVES 4 INGREDIENTS I’m a girl reared in southern Philadelphia area in a neighborhood of working class blue collar families so... I’d definitely be in the Downstairs grouping. While the meals/recipes presented for the upper class look good, I found more “comfort food” with the likings of Toad in the Hole or Cauliflower Cheese. Look at this,doesn't it resemble mac and cheese? There's a bit of mental disconnect when you get a forkful. The six series of ‘Downton Abbey’ spanned the period from 1912–1926, and the recipes in this cookbook include a number of dishes which featured in particular episodes, along with additional recipes from cookbooks that were popular during the period, providing a real sense of English cooking at the time. Starting the day the Downton way

Bake until the sausage is cooked through and the batter has puffed up and browned, about 45 minutes. Additionally, calorie-controlled diets appeared on the scene, including the Hollywood diet, which largely revolved around coffee and grapefruit. Let the fish cool until it can be handled, then remove and discard the skin and break up the flesh into large flakes, removing any errant bones. Set aside. The perfect gift for the Downton Abbey fan, The Official Downton Abbey Christmas Cookbook will become a cherished souvenir of the beloved series, and inspire new holiday traditions. My Own Christmas Recipes The Sole Florentine is easy to make, and very delicious. I liked the poaching in wine method the author advised. I used my leftover Champagne Jelly Prosecco for poaching (I still had some leftover after pouring myself a glass, also author advised ‘if the time of day is right.’Stating the obvious, 2020 has been a year like no other. In many ways we have been shaken to our core in terms of really appreciating what we have lost, what we have and what we look forward to. This well-researched and compelling cookbook from food historian Dr. Annie Gray includes more than 100 authentic and delicious period recipes, accompanied by spectacular images of the Downton Abbey cast, food photography, quotes and historical information to vividly bring the dishes and customs of the Crawley’s English country home to life.

As the book is reflecting the divided class of Downton Abbey, and the cookbook likewise is divided (mostly) into two parts. There are in this book recipes for the gentry and the recipes for the servant class respectively separated. The introduction gives an excellent overview of the way food was important in British society and also how the dishes served were different for the various classes. As history (and science) moved forward, the availability of food and access to foodstuffs, electricity, refrigeration also changed the way the classes ate. Annie Gray's The Downton Abbey Cookbook is a fascinating food history read. Even if you didn't watch the show, which would certainly help, there's a great deal of interesting discussion of food shortages, availability, evolving cookery tools and technologies, and some statistics that may well amaze and confound you. To make the batter, whisk together the milk, flour, salt, and eggs in a bowl until thoroughly mixed. Well, I did brown the cauliflower and I think that part made a difference. However I needed to add additional milk to make a smooth cheese sauce.

The 2020 IBPA Awards Winner! Bring an authentic slice of Downton Abbey into your kitchen with over 100 delicious recipes from this official cookbook. The layout of the book delves into the various meals of the day, including the British "tea" and what exactly they ate during these different repasts. What I loved about the book is that nothing is taken for granted but given real consideration. While corsets and body-shaping garments were by no means discarded completely, the prevailing shape was less sculpted and more apparently natural.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment