276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Survivors: The gripping, bestselling novel of life after a global pandemic

£4.495£8.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

New World Rising" – documentary on the making of Series 3 produced by Andy Priestner with contributions from directors Peter Jefferies and Tristan DeVere Cole and actors Lucy Fleming and Stephen Dudley (John Millon). All interviews in the documentary recorded on 4 August 2005.

For the beginning of series 2 the focus moved to a new location, at Callow Hill Farm, near Monmouth (but again just within Herefordshire), as "Whitecross". The Lights of London episodes featured Hanwell railway station, The Oval, and other locations in London, while the Waterloo & City line and the Camden Town deep-level shelter were used to represent parts of the London Underground. The Monmouthshire and Brecon Canal and village of Skenfrith also made appearances. I must say, though, the logic behind using Jenny as live bait to draw out the gunman is bonkers: it goes against everything about protecting mothers in the tribe, so far. It’s clearly just to get Jenny downstage and into the action? Jenny (Lucy Fleming) becomes a target for an unknown sniper in ‘A Friend in Need’. Credit: BBC Worldwide.Britbox is a recent collaboration between the BBC and ITV which brings together archive, classic and contemporary television programmes from both services’ catalogues. During series 3, production occasionally moved further afield to Suffolk, Derbyshire, and Wiltshire, with the last episode filmed in the Scottish Highlands. Extensive use was made of the Severn Valley Railway. Charles and Hubert catch up with Jenny, who has been travelling for days. They trio meets up with Agnes, and they take shelter at a community run by a man named Brod. They discover that many community members are there against their will due to Brod's bullying tactics. Brod also forces Charles and the others to stay, promising protection against the wild dogs, which now outnumber people. Brod threatens Charles' life, and to ensure Charles and his group are able to leave safely, Hubert kills Brod, which also allows the other people to return to their farm. Greg: Yes, Ruth’s dressed head to foot in home-assembled PPE. I think that’s another reason why Greater Love shook me up so much. It was all so close to home, and another indication that, even with Terry Nation now off the series, it continued to understand the subject matter of virology and survival that it dealt with.

By Rich Cross Last updated on 25 January 2021, 08:36:58 The pleasures and perils of location hunting In a High Court case in the mid-1970s, which was abandoned by both sides due to escalating costs, writer Brian Clemens claimed that he had told Terry Nation the concept for the series in the late 1960s and had registered the idea with the Writers' Guild of Great Britain in 1965. [1] Nation strenuously denied this. Charles, Jenny, and Hubert arrive at a religious settlement, where no violence or guns are allowed. They stay there for the night and discover the settlement has a fully functional windmill, which they allow local people to use in trade. One of the settlement's leaders, Frank, asks to go with Charles, Jenny, and Hubert, as he is fitted with a pacemaker, which is nearing the end of its life. They leave in search of a power station engineer, who is reportedly nearby. Today (9 March) is the twentieth anniversary of the death of Survivors‘ creator Terry Nation, who died from emphysema in Los Angeles, US on 9 March 1997 at the age of 66.The production of Nation's next BBC creation, Blake's 7, experienced fewer problems. This series follows a group of criminals and political prisoners who are on the run from the evil "Terran Federation", piloting a stolen spaceship of unknown origin. Blake's 7 ran for four series from 1978 to 1981. [15] Although Nation scripted the whole of the first season of Blake's 7, his creative influence subsequently declined [16] in the following two seasons despite writing some key episodes, as script editor Chris Boucher exerted a greater influence on those seasons. Nation didn't write any episodes in the fourth season of Blake's 7. In the 1980s, Nation attempted, without success, to secure funding for a fifth season of Blake's 7. Greg: I’m afraid it marks a downturn for me. I suspect we’re getting to the areas where we may disagree. I’m not a fan of this episode. Basically, a refined man who reads poetry turns up at the community and wants in. Only it’s revealed that he had, years earlier, murdered a child and was imprisoned for his crime. During the 1970s, Nation wrote a children's novel for his daughter Rebecca (after whom he named the character of Rebec in the 1973 Doctor Who serial Planet of the Daleks) titled Rebecca's World: Journey to the Forbidden Planet, as well as a novel based on Survivors. [17] [18] United States [ edit ] With all the corpses lying dead, wouldn't other diseases be on the rise? That would be disastrous for new born babies because they wouldn't be innoculated in a post plague world. In 1969, when the show began to be produced in colour, Nation granted permission for the Daleks to be used in the series three episode Get Off My Cloud, based on the story by Peter Phillips about a bed-bound science-fiction author who finds himself within one of his own fantasies after a mental breakdown. This would be the first time the Daleks had been shown in colour on television, although they had previously appeared in colour in the Peter Cushing films. Only production stills and low-quality audio extracts survive.

The post-apocalyptic mood is brilliantly captured and although the plot and stories do dip after Terry Nation gave up full control of the project, the sense of loss and foreboding is superbly carried forward. The Changes (TV series), a series set in a Britain that is suddenly plunged into a pre-industrial age In season one, stories were about life and death decisions. This is a cosy little domestic yarn. I have, like all good obsessives, scored every episode out of ten, so that I can decide how to rank the three seasons once we conclude our odyssey through the archives. The last two episodes for me are 5/10. Am I wrong? Unfortunately the quality of the show decreases as they made the bizarre decisions to get rid of the Abby character from the second series, and it gets a little bogged down in the domestic drama of running an effective farming community. However, it is worth watching all the way to its conclusion as there are always very good episodes that elevate the series far above normal.Audio commentary on episode Mad Dog recorded on 4 August 2005, with Morris Perry (Richard Fenton) and Tristan de Vere Cole (director). Moderator: Rich Cross. Tensions among the group are rising as the workload increases. A seemingly gentle man, Alistair, arrives and joins the group. Hubert, meanwhile, is feeling hard-done by and insists on better living accommodations until he discovers that Alistair is a convicted child killer named Andrew. The others question "Alistair", who admits his crime and says that he has been rehabilitated. Hubert, however, spreads panic among the others, and Alistair volunteers to leave. Sam: His fate is nicely foreshadowed, too; Greg was going to make the supply trip, but Paul stops him, knowing Greg has parental responsibilities — an investment in the future. It shows the measure of Paul’s altruism there, in his sacrifice for the common good and the next generation. With cinemas of the early to mid 70's being full of films predicting grim futures for Mankind - such as 'Zardoz' and 'Soylent Green' - it was predictable that television would get in on the act eventually. Terry Nation's 'Survivors' begins with one of the most memorably scary title sequences ever filmed; to the accompaniment of Anthony Issac's powerful theme, a Chinese scientist accidentally smashes a flask. Some time later, he collapses at an airport and dies. Within hours, the terrible plague he has inadvertently unleashed spreads across the world. Millions perish. Only a handful survive - and they band together in an attempt to rebuild civilisation... Audio commentary on episode The Fourth Horseman recorded on 5 June 2003, with Carolyn Seymour (Abby Grant) and Pennant Roberts (director). Moderator: Andy Priestner.

When people begin to die of a new strain of a flu virus, newspaper journalists Helen Wiseman and Daniel Connor investigate. They uncover a terrifying story - but will anyone ever get to read it?

The 2008 series provides examples of:

In times of crisis, rumour and fear run rife across the decimated landscape of Britain. Evelyn and Abby experience the lethal effects of this panic first hand.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment