276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Grandad's Camper: A picture book for children that celebrates LGBTQIA+ families

£6.495£12.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Inspired by these tales, the narrator encourages Grandad to fix up the van, and the two take it for a road trip to the beach. Her favourite pastime, however, is to snuggle up with Grandad while he shares tales of his past adventures with Gramps. It’s refreshing to see diversity and inclusion without it being the main reference of the story - as it should be! Discover a wonderful grandfather-granddaughter relationship, as a little girl hatches the perfect plan to get her Grandad adventuring again.

This debut picture book from award-winning author-illustrator Harry Woodgate won the British Book Awards Nibbie for Children's Illustrated Book of the Year and the Waterstones Children's Book Prize, was shortlisted for the Polari Prize, and named as an ALA Stonewall Honor Book. VERDICT For the hope for new adventures, and the glimpse of intergenerational kindness and understanding, this lovely book should be on every shelf. Caregivers, especially older ones, may see this book as an opportunity to talk about departed loved ones and introduce their happy memories to a younger generation-many a family will find themselves pulling out photo albums to relate their own origin stories. But what our protagonist/narrator most likes to do is to snuggle up with her Grandad and listen to stories if his adventures with Gramps. Celebrate love in all its forms, as Grandad tells his granddaughter about the adventures he used to have with Gramps.I absolutely adore it and am very excited to have matching artwork to proudly display when we move house! You can change your choices at any time by visiting Cookie preferences, as described in the Cookie notice. It was inspired by their university dissertation, which revealed a lack of representation for older LGBTQIA+ characters in children’s books. Oh I do wish such books were around when I was a kid, wondering why I was different and who (if anyone) I could tell. I love that Grandad wears a t-shirt reclaiming the pink triangle in the 1970s, and I love that children will see the story of gay grandads and know families come in all different shapes and sizes.

The artwork is enticing and rich, and readers will be happy to pore over the pages studying details like Grandad's friendly dog and the textured backgrounds as they read and reread the story. Delightfully colourful and carrying a warm, positive message of inclusion and love, Woodgate's uplifting picture book depicts a grandad recapturing the adventures of his youth courtesy of his granddaughter.

When Grandad reflects back on his life with Gramps, his memories take the visual form of vignettes showing the younger versions of the men--Grandad white, Gramps with the same brown skin tone as the girl--on the road, at home, or enjoying the great outdoors, but always delighted to be together. This is a quiet story that speaks volumes, and astute educators and storytellers will be able to use the book in both intimate storytimes and with larger groups. While there, the protagonist, who narrates, and their grandfather play the usual games and do the usual activities, but Grandad also tells stories about how he and Gramps, a man of color who is now deceased, met and fell in love while traveling in an old VW microbus. Every summer, the narrator of this heart-warming tale goes to stay with her grandad in his pretty old cottage by the sea.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment