276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Our Iceberg is Melting: Changing and Succeeding Under Any Conditions

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

A fun and interesting fable using the story of a colony of Emperor Penguins as a metaphor for how an organization can go about making a needed change. On an iceberg near the coast of Antarctica, group of beautiful emperor pen­guins live as they have for many years. Then one curious bird discovers a potentially devastating problem threatening their home—and almost no one listens to him. The book accurately "types" people in a creative way, and subtly offers real tips for persuading large groups of people. Sadly, some people who read this book will not be swayed by it - not because the information is untrue, but because people are unaware of what they are doing and how they are feeling. Large-scale change can only occur when massive numbers of people rally around a common opportunity. Our Iceberg Is Melting is based on John Kotter’s pioneer­ing research into the eight steps that can produce needed change in any sort of group. After finishing the story, you’ll have a powerful framework for influencing your own team, no matter how big or small.

Now cross your arms the other way, so that whatever arm you normally cross on top is now under your other arm. How do you feel? Awkward? Most people only ever cross their arms one way - in fact, according to "The Definitive Book of Body Language", 90% cross the left arm over the right.The revised and updated tenth anniversary edition of the classic, beloved business fable that has changed millions of lives in organizations around the world. Very similar, right? The two con men just added some details that are obviously included in the steps because everybody facing changes can think about them. Then they put some sub-headings and explanations to make theirs appear different when put side by side with those of Johnson’s. Crazy. In the end, I don't think this story is an accurate reflection of what we are facing at work and I would have appreciated more serious and more scholarly books on the subject. The best thing about Kotter's book was that it was short and easy to read but that was also its downfall. This is the kind of book that you might give to people who are uneducated, ignorant, and not very literate.

I got out of there just in time. Another couple of weeks and I'd have been dressing up as Fred the visionary penguin, baking under the soul-destroying glare of the fluorescent lights of the Sequoia room in the South San Francisco Embassy Suites. And believe me, I have paid my dues as far as abusive corporate training sessions are concerned: I think this book is for everyone. But, I think that it will specially work for organizations, businesses, and other type of groups, because it is about changing in a group. But, it can be useful for anyone, because we are constantly with people in any type of group. This also expands your skills as a leader in a group. It helps you guide yourself through the change. I knew it was time to leave the corporate world when our vice-president, a friend who had been a truly smart woman when we first started to work together, bought 300 copies of this trendy 2006 business fable* (involving penguins and melting icebergs) for the entire division. Removing barriers such as inefficient processes and hierarchies provides the freedom necessary to work across silos and generate real impact.

Become a Member

a la hora de ponerlo en práctica probablemente sea más fácil. Esta frase me ayudó a abrir los ojos que no todo es teoría. With the rise of the jejune, it makes me wonder if people who received MBA's in grad school are those who changed degrees after they failed basket weaving classes.

Yo creo que este libro me va a ayudar mucho en mi viaje como héroe. Me enseñó muchas cosas que me van a ayudar en la vida. Este libro habla sobre cambiar en un grupo, muchas veces estamos con personas alrededor. Este libro fue escrito como una fábula de un grupo de pingüinos, que actuaban exactamente igual que los humanos. Así que puedo comparar las situaciones y ser empático con lo que los pingüinos pasaron. Aprendí ocho pasos que me ayudaran a hacer cambios en grupos. Como dije, casi siempre estamos con personas, así que saber cambiar con ellos me puede ayudar mucho. Este libro me enseñó que no importa que tan grande es el grupo, siempre se puede cambiar. No es fácil cambiar, y van a haber personas que van a tratar de pararte. Los pingüinos cambiaron la colonia. Yo se que esto no es cierto, pero está basado en historias verdaderas, que pusieron en práctica los ocho pasos. Al principio las personas tal vez te ven como loco o tonto. Pero hay que seguir con el plan y trabajar duro. Esto me va a ayudar mucho en mi vida. Aunque el problema sea pequeño o grande, lidiar con personas es lo mismo. Lo puedes usar en muchos tipos de situaciones. This particular fable takes up only two cds, and a great deal of the second cd consists of the two authors answering questions and talking about the way that the fable has been put into practice at various unnamed companies. As for the story itself, we begin with Fred, a young but intelligent and curious penguin who finds evidence that the iceberg is melting and seeks to help the penguin colony avoid disaster. He goes to Alice, a somewhat bold and radical member of the ruling council, manages to convince Louis, the head of the colony, who then mobilizes support to include Buddy, a friendly but not very bright penguin, and the Professor, a very intelligent and well-respected older penguin, to manage the change. NoNo, who is in sharp opposition to change, seeks to derail the change effort, and the penguin colony has to deal with seagulls, the problem of feeding scouts, and elementary school teachers who are giving their children nightmares, but ultimately the colony is successful and decides upon a life of wandering from iceberg to iceberg without putting down permanent roots, which shows the way the writers tend to think about the contemporary business world. I'm not sure what to say about this book. We were given copies of this book by our management team at work in connection with a pending divisional restructure. I think the book was intended to help us adapt to change but I don't really see a parallel between the fabricated and factually flawed fable of penguins on a melting iceberg and what we are facing at work. In der heutigen Gesellschaft wird das Thema Veränderungen gross geschrieben - auch an mir geht es nicht einfach so vorbei. Articulate the connections between the new behaviors and organizational success, making sure they continue until they become strong enough to replace old habits.

Success!

Pull together the guiding team. Make sure there is a powerful group guiding the change - one with leadership skills, credibility, communications ability, authority, analytical skills, and a sense of urgency. Can you guess which expert on dairy products writes the foreword to the parable of the penguins? Hmmm. Can you?)

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment