276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Rainbow Grey: Discover a magical new world for young readers in 2021 from the bestselling author of Amelia Fang! (Rainbow Grey Series)

£3.995£7.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Once upon a time there were seven groups of Weatherlings. Then a Rogue created the worst storm Earth has ever seen, Storm Tornadia, and since that time rainbow Weatherlings have been extinct. ‘I thought rainbows were just made up?’ All that remain are Weatherlings of “Sun, snow, rain, cloud, wind, thunder ‘n’ lightning.” It was super obvious who this book’s villain was going to be and the resolution was a bit too sweet, but … adult reading a kid’s book here. I probably would have been blindsided by the reveal had I actually read this when I was the target audience. Ten-year-old Ray Grey lives in the magical Weatherlands, high in the sky. Ray is surrounded by Weatherlings with astounding weather power at their fingertips, but she doesn't have ANY magic... Until a trip to Earth to find some secret treasure changes Ray's life forever– and she becomes Rainbow Grey.

I especially loved Ray's parents. Her mum is an engineer having all sorts of tools in her hair so she can reach them faster. All in all, I will finish this review though I still got many feels, this was a magical book with magical characters and tons and tons of fun! I think Kiddo (10) could have read this by herself. We shared it as a bedtime read and ... to me it was patently obvious who the "Baddie" was going to be from the moment of meeting them.

And I loved that she went from Ray Grey with grey hair to Rainbow Grey with awesome rainbow hair (which I definitely wanted). Amid all this action – and the farting-cloud-cat silliness you’d expect from the creator of the bestselling Amelia Fang books – is a book that lets in quieter moments too, and really focuses on the friendship between Ray and her pals Snowden and Droplett. Indeed, the end message is very much about how love, hope and togetherness will always triumph and give a person a strength they didn’t think they had.

Bonuspoints go to Nim the cutest and most explosive cloudcat in existence. I just loved that little fluff cloud and I had some laughs seeing his face on places you may not want your face to be (though I guess for a cat it is all perfect). The ending was amazing, full of rainbows, saving the forest, magic, and also a nice epilogue which made me want to grab the next book, only realising it isn’t out yet! ARGH! No! I believe we read a couple of the Amelia Fang books when kiddo was younger and were a little nonplussed by them, but willing to give LEA another go, with a book/ new series aimed at slightly older kids?I was very very sad when Amelia Fang ended, but oh so excited when I heard that Laura Ellen Anderson was going to write a new series featuring weather, rainbows, and more!

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment