276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Mythology: Timeless Tales of Gods and Heroes, 75th Anniversary Illustrated Edition

£12.5£25.00Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Francisco de Goya, Saturn Devouring His Son, in which the titan Saturn eats all his children so that they won't be the death of him. Her father had begun teaching her Latin, then French, German, and Greek when she was only 7 years old which probably was a factor in her interests later and her great scholarly success. Mythology succeeds like no other book in bringing to life for the modern reader the Greek, Roman, and Norse myths and legends that are the keystone of Western culture - the stories of gods and heroes that have inspired human creativity from antiquity to the present. You can change your choices at any time by visiting Cookie preferences, as described in the Cookie notice.

Most of them (stories) I felt were very engaging compact retellings, but I will say some stories suffer, an example is the creation myth. Since so much of Western humanity's psychology and our literature have their roots in mythology, it is well worth understanding the stories and characters involved. Though the explanations are clear, I found I got more from this this time as I am more receptive now to the chapters that have more of an encyclopaedic feel. TO CANCEL YOUR SUBSCRIPTION AND AVOID BEING CHARGED, YOU MUST CANCEL BEFORE THE END OF THE FREE TRIAL PERIOD.The introduction is superb and Edith Hamilton is very helpful in outlining her sources and her reasons for choosing them.

What I’m not sure about is if I would have found this easy to read when I knew a very tiny amount about Greek and Roman Mythology and Norse Mythology. There are a ton of stories here so just pace yourself and don’t overwhelm yourself as there are a lot of names. Edith Hamilton's mythology succeeds like no other book in bringing to life for the modern reader the Greek, Roman and Norse myths that are the keystone of Western culture-the stories of gods and heroes that have inspired human creativity from antiquity to the present. No one in modern times has shown us more vividly than Edith Hamilton 'the glory that was Greece and the grandeur that was Rome. Since its original publication by Little, Brown and Company in 1942, Edith Hamilton's Mythology has sold millions of copies throughout the word and established itself as a perennial bestseller in its various available formats: hardcover, trade paperback, mass market paperback, and e-book.Doutora honoris causa de várias universidades e devota dos ideais clássicos, Hamilton tornou-se, aos noventa anos de idade, cidadã honorária da cidade de Atenas. In 1895 she moved back to Germany with her sister to study humanities and classics at the university of Munich (the then centre of classical studies).

We don’t share your credit card details with third-party sellers, and we don’t sell your information to others. Don't get me wrong though, I really enjoyed the book as a whole - especially the stunning artwork, as I'm a sucker for pretty pictures - but not gonna lie, I got confused by all the names and incest and relationships a lot. It was also interesting to note how our thought (in the western world via Europe) has developed in a line pretty clearly from the ancient Greeks.

All her knowledge came from classic literature; she has never been to Greece, and never participated in archaeology. I would say this was great for an overview of Greek mythology but more of an introduction for Roman and Norse mythology. There are a few inaccuracies, and she barely mentions things like Hercules' trials or the Voyage of the Argo, which are studied in much greater depth generally. Edith Hamilton (1868-1963) was born of American parents in Dresden, Germany, and grew up in Indiana. I'm also not a pretentious asshole who is going to pretend I lurved it to pieces just to look smart.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment