276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Greatest Hits

£8.41£16.82Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Yusuf often wavers between optimism and pessimism in his songs. Sometimes, though, they’re more fully dejected. “Trouble,” for instance, was written after a year of convalescence, when at 19, he was hospitalized and expected to die. It marinates in sorrow. (You may have heard it in Harold and Maude, where it plays before Maude’s death.)

While his greatest hits offer a glimpse into his genius, they are just a fraction of his vast musical legacy. From the subtle guitar strumming to Stevens’ poignant lyrics, this song has a timeless quality that remains captivating even after decades.Sad Lisa” is similarly sullen. Like his sentimental family songs, it focuses on a person he wants to save, its piano reminiscent of a lullaby. On the same album, “Where Do the Children Play?” also worries for others’ wellbeing. However, it’s more concerned with consumerism and capitalism – and, by extension, our general sense of wellbeing amid “progress.”

Oh Very Young” is preoccupied with intangibility: a person slipping through your fingers and what they leave behind, especially when they pass young. “I’ve Got a Thing About Seeing My Grandson Grow Old” finds the narrator taking care of himself, motivated to stay alive so he doesn’t miss out on the future. The chorus’s soaring melody gives the song an uplifting energy, while its simple arrangement allows the artist’s heartfelt words to take center stage. A powerful storyteller, Stevens crafts a vivid narrative about his son Matthew’s dreams of fame and fortune. Listen to the best Yusuf / Cat Stevens songs on Apple Music and Spotify. Existential Eulogies (“Wild World,” “Father and Son,” “I’ve Got a Thing About Seeing My Grandson Grow Old,” “Oh Very Young,” “Dying to Live”) Although he’s best known as a rosy-eyed, hippie-era guitarist, Yusuf / Cat Stevens’ lyrical honesty and varied instrumentation are far more complex than first meets the ear. His voice – at times twangy, at others soft and sincere – fits seamlessly with booming choruses and gentle missives alike. Mired in the vision of a peaceful future but clouded with worry at what’s to come, Yusuf’s music comforts and frets in equal measure.His songs have been embraced and reimagined by numerous artists, leaving an indelible mark on the landscape of modern music. These 14 songs epitomize the essence of Cat Stevens and serve as a testament to why he holds such a special place in our hearts. I wholeheartedly recommend immersing yourself in his music; it’s an experience you won’t want to miss. To call Yusuf solely a singer-songwriter would ignore his penchant for orchestration and grandeur, heights that sit alongside his gentle, folk tunes. He’s also had a hand in hits beyond his own: before he broke through as an artist, he wrote both “Here Comes My Baby” and “The First Cut is the Deepest.”

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment