276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Ship of Brides: 'Brimming over with friendship, sadness, humour and romance, as well as several unexpected plot twists' - Daily Mail

£4.495£8.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Offizier Henry Nicol, der vor ihrer Tür Wache hält ist auch interessant und sogar Frances vertraut ihm. I'm a huge fan of Jojo Moyes and until now have never been on the fence with what to rate her work. This one is a tough one though. I liked half; I disliked half. I found myself impatient to know what happened in the end, to each and every one of the girls, yet at the same time, I found myself skimming the "man" parts--the captain's tale, Nicol's story, this guy and that guy. They bored me, and I didn't care about their lives. The story begins in India in 2002 (which initially threw me a bit) as an elderly grandmother on vacation stumbles across the broken hull of a once great British warship, now in the process of being dismantled for scrap on an oily, debris littered beach. She has come upon a ship graveyard and can just make out the name on one of the rusted hulls “Victoria” and at once is overwhelmed by memories… Jojo’s work never fails to bring a smile to my face with her honesty, humour and empathy about what it is to be human —[Still Me is] a must read!”

THE SHIP OF BRIDES | Kirkus Reviews

Really, it is almost hard to believe that Jojo Moyes chose so perfectly the stories which portrayed us, humans so aptly.

Bestselling authorJojoMoyeshas a unique way of using her prose to make her readers feel great emotions – love, passion, sadness, and grief – and her latest novel The Giver of Stars–does not disappoint in that respect.” Rich in history, with well-developed characters and a strong sense of place, this book will fit well in any library’s fiction collection.For fans of Sara Gruen’s Water for Elephantsor Catherine Marshall’s Christy.” From the New York Times bestselling author of The Giver of Stars and Someone Else’s Shoes,a post-WWII story of the war brides who crossed the seas by the thousands to face their unknown futures.

The Ship of Brides - Historical Novel Society

I would definitely recommend this book to fans of historical romance and even WWII fiction. This book tells a story some people might not know, I certainly didn't. It's a story worth telling, how these hundreds of women promised themselves as wives to soldiers on the front lines, women who were expected to meet those obligations. That the burden of the promise was seen as theirs alone to carry, well it makes a good story, but sad history. Compelling. . . It’s an epic feminist adventure that candidly paints a community’s soul-searching with great humor, heartache, honesty, and love.” THE SHIP OF BRIDES by JoJo Moyes was my first read from this author and I thoroughly enjoyed the adventure. The year is 1946, and almost 700 war brides are making their way to England, the war is over. We follow a group of gals who have so many stories to tell. Maggie - feisty girl of the land. Lovely. Avice - society girl, vein and focused on things not so important. Annoying. My favourite (just!) Frances - capable nurse who has survived a horrible upbringing. A treasure. With characters so real they feel like dear friends and a compelling storyline, this is a beautiful, special novel. I loved it and didn’t want it to end!”After You] left me thrilled by the possibilities of fiction to entertain and inform, and astounded by [Moyes’s] deep well of talent and imagination.”

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment