276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Damage: INSPIRATION FOR THE NETFLIX SERIES OBSESSION

£4.995£9.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Without me realising it at the time, 'Damage' was made into a very successful film in the 90s staring Jeremy Irons and Juliette Binoche, and I was glad to say I have already watched it and so remembered vague scenes from it.

But I did not die in my fiftieth year. There are few who know me now who do not regard that as a tragedy.” Driven to Suicide: When Anna was 15, her brother committed suicide when he discovered she was in a relationship with Peter. Fleming tells the reader: ‘ We were made for other things. For needs that had to be answered day or night – sudden longings – a strange language of the body.’Our jobs in the UK are to make properly authentic local programming that will be hopefully loved by our UK members but also has potential to reach the world.” I had a very difficult time stomaching the general premise, which I don't think gives too much away---dad has sorid, ridiculous affair with son's fiancé. Wow. WOW. wow.

Of course it is proof of the excellent writing that although I did end up feeling extremely uncomfortable about the road to self-destruction the narrator so willingly took I had to follow him to the bitter end. Brother–Sister Incest: Anna and her brother were very close, so close that he committed suicide when Anna started dating a man. Everything changes when he meets Anna Barton, his son’s girlfriend. Although his wife is suspicious of the girl, who is eight year older than her beloved 25 year old son, the narrator feels an instant attraction to her the moment he meets her. An attraction that appears to be mutual since he and Anna start a passionate affair shortly after meeting.

The main character in this book has always tried to do the right thing. He is a serious straight laced man He's a A loving father and a devoted husband and he is happy in his somewhat sterile but pleasant marriage.

We are left in no doubt that destruction is inevitable, that Fleming is at the precipice. There are no mitigating circumstances, and we know that there will be no happy ending, or forgiveness. What we see is a chillingly honest portrayal of sexual obsession, and our potential for destruction: lives damaged, or soon to be so. All that ends when his son brings home a new girlfriend. The narrators falls madly in love with her, actually madly in obsession with her I should say, a triggering a tragic turn of events for all concerned. We experience this story through the detached eyes of a cold narrator, who engages in some logic-defying mental contortions to justify what he is doing. But there is no escaping the consequences of his disturbing romantic entanglement with Anna. He remains firmly rooted in the delusion that he has found true love, that he can have a domestic life with this young woman. He even assigns himself godlike powers of taking on others' negative feelings so that they can be free of them--all in the name of assuaging his own vague sense of guilt. At points, he even deflects blame from himself and onto the "devil."

Your browser is not supported

Betty and Veronica: Stephen Fleming (Archie) is married with Ingrid (Betty), who is a respectable woman with whom he had two children. He falls in love with Anna (Veronica). Anna is the girlfriend of his son, she is much younger than Stephen and she has passionate sex intercourses with him. Primal Scene: Martyn walks in on his father making love with his secret lover. To make things worse, the said secret lover is Anna, Martyn's fiancée. Access-restricted-item true Addeddate 2009-12-11 18:57:31 Bookplateleaf 0004 Boxid IA104611 Boxid_2 BL11203T Camera Canon 5D City New York Donor Oblivion is simple, complex, rich, cold, intriguing, bleak, and hopeful. The relatively short novel not only contains its own plot, but an entire play, a drama critic's article, several letters, and a chunk of a secondary character's diary, making its structure a bit of a challenge. The transition to the play is jarring, and I had difficulty understanding that the play had started and that the thoughts being expressed were words said by the actors and not in the narrator's head. That may have been Hart's intent, in that the book moves rapidly and frequently between Andrew's (the narrator's) thoughts and dialogue with other characters, evoking the foggy experience of grief that blurs the line between outer and inner worlds -- being half there in each world, and yet not there at all, not sure if one is thinking or talking, hearing voices inside or outside. This could be brilliant, but I can't decide because it's not a pleasant place to be. Most of the book isn't a pleasant place to be. Fact: Damage is an excellent title and describes perfectly what happens when obsession overrides sanity. Or, in the eyes of our MC, what happens when one finally finds "passion." (passion= being a man whore pyscho....but whatever. Also, this fact is turning into an opinion....)

A beautiful couple, Roger and Ingrid had it all. A successful marriage and careers, beautiful grown children, and plenty of money. Interest in Hart's poetry is maintained by the Josephine Hart Poetry Foundation, a registered charity under English law. [4] References [ edit ] Love Makes You Crazy: Stephen's love for Anna makes him act irrationally. For example, during a business trip, he travels at night from Brussels to Paris just to see his lover. In the end, he loses his job and his family because of his love. there would be time for the pain and pleasure lust lends to love. Time for body lines and angles that provoke the astounded primitive to leap delighted from the civilised skin…There would be time for words obscene and dangerous. There would be time for flowers to put out the eyes and for silken softness to close the ears.’Likes Older Men: Anna's mother tells that Martyn is not Anna's type: Anna generally dates older men. Her former lover Peter and her secret lover Stephen are much older than her (Stephen is the father of her official fiancé).

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment