276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Tropical Sun 100% Natural Dry Sorrel Dried Hibiscus Flowers (100g)

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Sorrel is a great source of antioxidants, which are beneficial compounds that protect your cells from damage by neutralizing harmful free radicals. Sorrel is especially high in vitamin C, a water-soluble vitamin that fights inflammation and plays a key role in immune function ( 3 ).

However, if you are not a fan of the above ingredients or how they taste in a dish, here are a few more sorrel substitutes you could use instead: Wray & Nephew White Overproof Rum – this is a classic Jamaican white rum, use this or your rum of choice. Steeped Sorrel Can Stain –so be careful when handling this drink because it can ruin your clothes or a porous surface.Bhakuni, D. S., Bittner, M., Marticorena, C., Silva, M., Weldt, E., and Hoeneisen, M. Screening of Chilean plants for anticancer activity. I. Lloydia. 1976;39(4):225-243. View abstract. This drink is popular in West Africa. It’s also called Zobo drink in Nigeria. The sorrel plant is also prolific throughout the Caribbean, where it’s simply called jamaica. That’s why you may hear people call it “Jamaican sorrel drink.” Dried Red Sorrel Calyces– The main ingredient for our drink. It comes from the flor de Jamaica or hibiscus flower and has an herbal, floral taste. All of my experience with this ingredient has been through preparations where you boil/simmer the calyxes in water and then use the resulting "tea" in whatever you're making. Pour the sorrel tea into a vessel(s) that can be fitted with an airtight lid. Close bottles and transfer into the refrigerator to chill thoroughly.

It has a sour, lemon-like flavor and is often featured in dishes like soups, stews, and curries. It’s also used medicinally, as it’s touted to promote healthy digestion, decrease inflammation, and treat mouth ulcers. We don’t make a ton of Caribbean foods at home, simply because a lot of the classic recipes take a long time to make, or require ingredients that are difficult to find here in Canada. Water —the base of our drink. The amount of water you use depends on how big your pot is and how much sorrel you wanna make. I used a 7.3-quart dutch oven so I used about 20 cups of water. Consider garnishing your glasses with fresh orange slices or a sprinkle of ground cinnamon for an extra festive touch. And, don’t limit yourself to the holidays. The red color of this sorrel drink recipe is perfect for Christmas, but it’s delightful all year round! Why Make This Sorrel Drink RecipeAll three are easy to grow, either from seed or young plants, and are perennials so should last several years. Serve: Shake well and serve sorrel tea as-is or over ice for a refreshing beverage and garnish with sliced lime and/or mint leaves, if desired. Enjoy! Note: you can also drink this tea hot as an herbal tea.

Red Label Wine — a Jamaican wine that gets its sweet flavours from raisins, marzipan, candied berries and a hint of dark chocolate. Once again, a few tablespoons of this in your sorrel drink makes a world of difference! Fresh ginger: I recommend getting ginger from your local Caribbean market for the most fresh, pungent ginger root flavor/taste. I don’t find it necessary to peel/grate the ginger beforehand as we’ll be straining the tea in the end. However, I do recommend pounding the ginger open (use a mallet) so that all the ginger-rich flavor infuses into the sorrel tea while steeping. Jamaican Christmas is synonymous with Sorrel drink and rum cake. Rum is a big part of the festive season. So the sorrel drink must contain rum, lots of rum! This is not to be confused with “sorrel” the leafy green plant used as a herb or vegetable. What is the Difference Between Dried Sorrel and Fresh Sorrel?If you buy Sorrel drink from the store, it won’t contain rum because it’s made for everyday drinking. But when making Sorrel drink for the festive season, it must have Ray & Nephew white rum. What Goes In It – Jamaican Sorrel drink recipe And since it has to seep for a few days before you strain and serve it, that makes this the perfect make-ahead drink! Start making it a week before Christmas, bottle and refrigerate it a day or two before and when it comes time for dinner everyone can help themselves to a nice cold glass! How to Strain Sorrel Karn H and Moore MJ. The use of the herbal remedy ESSIAC in an outpatient cancer population. Proc Annu Meet Am Soc Clin Oncol 1997;16:A245. This sour plant has some pretty sweet health perks. Here’s what we know about how sorrel may be able to help. Promotes your gum health While various parts of the plant are used in a variety of cooking style around the world, in Jamaican, we use the sorrel flower calyx to make the sorrel drink, consumed mostly at Christmas time.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment