276°
Posted 20 hours ago

AOC AGON AG493UCX2 -49 Inch Dual QHD Curved Gaming Monitor, VA, 4ms GTG, Height Adjust, USB Hub, FreeSync Premium, Speakers (5120 x 1440 @ 165Hz, 400 cd/m²,HDMI 2.0 / DP 1.4 / USB-C / USB 3.2)

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

The maximum number of colors, which the display is able to reproduce, depends on the type of the panel in use and color enhancing technologies like FRC. First off this monitor is impressive and probably a 5/5 for most Windows users. For us Mac folks.. getting 5K feels like bait and switch, however. It took some time to figure out how to get the full 5120x1440 resolution to work on a Mac.. but i got it working!! FYI - Apple support told me this would not work without an AMD chip set but turns out they were either wrong or didn't interpreter their won documentation as i did.

The AOC AG493UCX2 also supports Picture by Picture, which along with the integrated KVM functionality allows you to connect two PC to the screen, display them side by side, and use a single set of keyboard/mouse to control both PCs. The Samsung S95UA is another 49″ 5120×1440 120Hz super-ultrawide gaming monitor with built-in KVM, however, its USB-C port is limited to 5120×1440 60Hz – it has stronger 90W Power Delivery though. VA glow is minimal, and light bleed is visible but not distracting. It’s far better than most IPS displays, and about average for a VA panel. Ergonomics Information about the ergonomic functions - height adjustment, swivel angles, tilt angles, etc. VESA mountAnyway, what about speed? AOC offers user-configurable overdrive in the OSD menu. In truth, the various levels of overdrive don’t look terribly different subjectively. But at least the fastest mode doesn’t suffer from obvious overshoot and inverse ghosting. In any case, response is best considered good but not quite as sharp as the best 1ms IPS gaming monitors. Even the lowest level of High Dynamic Range (HDR) feature poses a significant upgrade to common monitors. The peak luminance of 400 cd/m² enables your display to hone the picture quality with a manifold colour spectrum and more diverse contrast. The VESA-certificate ensures richness of detail and realistic portrayals of game and film worlds.

You’ll need to be a member of the size matters club to appreciate the AG493UCX. At a hair shy of 4 feet wide, its footprint isn’t small. Clear off the desk to set this one up. From the front, you can see a relatively thin, flush-mounted bezel with a wide strip at the bottom broken only by the red Agon logo. The anti-glare layer is the same type found on nearly all computer monitors and has excellent light control with no grain or image distortion. The ratio between the horizontal and the vertical side of the display. Some of the standard and widely used aspect ratios are 4:3, 5:4, 16:9 and 16:10.

Overview

Overall, what most people are saying seems to hold true. The monitor is VERY nice to look at and use, with a few hiccups and humps to work over. The warm colour temperature preset is closest to 6500K at 7400K, but it’s a little cooler than I prefer. Colour accuracy is good, however, with an average DeltaE of 0.68 (0.44 calibrated) in sRGB mode (brightness cannot be adjusted in sRGB mode, but the default is a usable 218 cd/m²). The saturation is excellent, with no over or under-saturation of colours, giving images a very natural appearance. I’ve been using a lot of displays recently with massive gamut coverage, so it did look a little flat at first, but once I had time to adjust I came to appreciate the more natural appearance. The stand comes fully assembled, but rather than just clipping into the panel there are four screws to secure it in place. On our review sample, the holes didn’t line up properly, so I had to screw them in at a slight angle. As they tightened they pulled into line, but it’s a rare bit of sub-par build quality that I don’t expect from AOC. The misaligned screw holes are the only negative I can attribute to the build, though. Everything else is pristinely manufactured, with close-fitting panels and a reassuring heft that feels distinctly premium.

Panel uniformity is better than I expected for a display of this size. There are a few hotspots where brightness and contrast exceed the nominal limits, but for the most part, it’s in the green. The static contrast shows the ratio between the brightest and the darkest color, which the display can reproduce simultaneously, for example, within one and the same frame/scene. A Windows desktop also benefits from the HDR treatment when brightness is high. Working in productivity apps was fine where text was the main focus, but spreadsheets looked a bit distorted. We got used to the curved horizontal lines after a time but if you crunch a lot of numbers, try this monitor before you buy. There is also a USB-B upstream (to connect to your PC), and 3 x USB 3.2 downstream ports for connecting peripherals (including one fast-charge B.C 1.2). The monitor’s USB ports can be set to USB 2.0 or 3.2 Gen1*, which is handy if you have external drives or controllers that require a higher standard of USB. Approximate height of the display. If the manufacturer does not provide such information, the height is calculated from the diagonal and the aspect ratio.The monitor is based on a 49″ 5120×1440 super-ultrawide panel, which is basically equivalent to two 27″ 2560×1440 monitors put side by side, just without the bezels in between them! Simplify the connections with one cable only. The USB-C connection provides DisplayPort Alternate Mode for transferring high-resolution video signals from a notebook to the monitor while simultaneously charging the notebook’s battery from the monitor with USB power delivery. Additionally, the USB 3.1 ensures lightning-fast data transmission, so even transferring a 4K movie can be done in less than one minute. The AG493UCX or AG493UCX2 respectively are currently my favorites in that category, since they offer a KVM switch, which would come in quite handy (generally a feature I am very happy is increasingly being offered across different product lines). The 49” AGON AG493QCX is similar to its sibling, offering a Full HD-based experience instead of the QHD on the AG493UCX2. In a fully featured sim setup with a reasonable distance from the monitor, the AG493QCX delivers a great immersion experience, and unlike its QHD sibling, the lower resolution is less taxing on the GPU, bringing the total system cost down.

There’s a good variety of ports on the AG493UCX2: There are 3x HDMI 2.0, 1x DisplayPort 1.4 and 1x USB-C for connecting your displays (USB-C supports the display signal and up to 65W power delivery, as well as supporting KVM (keyboard, video, mouse) if you have your peripherals connected to the display). Information about the maximum horizontal viewing angle, within which the image on the screen is of acceptable quality. Colours do have a tendency to become washed out when viewed at an angle, which can occur if you’re close to the screen or sitting off-centre. It’s less significant when gaming, as this is usually in your peripheral vision, but when I was editing images at the side of the screen I had to move in front of the picture to make sure it was accurate.Coverage is how much of the gamut is covered, whilst volume includes any colour that extends beyond the defined gamut. VA panels typically have great contrast, however, the AG493UCX2 has an advertised contrast of 3000:1. It wasn’t until I calibrated the display that I was able to reach this figure, which reinforces my opinion that the factory calibration could have been much better. It should be noted that the previous model had much better contrast, so this could just be a one-off, but I can only review based on what’s in front of me. I’m not going to spend too long on the HDR performance, as this is only an HDR400 display, so there’s no local dimming and you don’t get the full HDR experience. Peak brightness hits 650 cd/m² with good contrast, so it’s superior to any IPS panel for HDR400, and the respectable DCI-P3 coverage allows the AG493UCX2 to produce some stunning colours. AOC has reigned in its HDR modes, too – HDR game mode on the old model used to oversaturate colours to a massive degree, but here they are bright without being blown out. DisplayHDR mode is more natural, but without as much brightness overall. In my opinion, the SDR image looks better across the board, so I wouldn’t recommend this if you’re heavily invested in HDR. The monitor has AMD FreeSync Premium certification, but it’s not officially certified as G-SYNC Compatible by NVIDIA. Regardless, VRR works on both Radeon and GeForce cards at 5120×1440 within the following ranges: To make the OSD adjustments or select various games modes and gaming-specific features, users can either use the on-board buttons, the included remote control, or the AOC G-Menu software.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment