276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Sixteen Souls: The "TikTok made me buy it" sensation dubbed Heartstopper with ghosts!

£4.495£8.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

These were the children born to Jacob by Zilpah, whom Laban had given to his daughter Leah—sixteen in all. I am so glad that I did. Because it left nothing for me to be disappointed in. I greatly appreciate all of the representation that is whiting this book. There is LGBTQ+, disability rep for a double amputee, trans representation. With all of this rep I feel like it only deepened the connection with the characters. And you were able to get to know their true authentic selves. That is until a new seer, Sam, comes into town and expects Charlie to join him on discovering why some of the ghosts in town are disappearing.

These are the sons of Zilpah, [the maid] whom Laban gave to Leah his daughter [when she married Jacob]; and she bore to Jacob these sixteen persons [two sons and fourteen grandchildren]. I'm so so happy Chris introduced me to Rosie and to her marvellous book! I absolutely can't wait to read the sequel and return to these wonderful characters I love so much. Hurry up, Rosie, hurry up! The concept of magic is rather fascinating, our main character can see ghosts and there is this idea of mathemagics that blends magic with something more technical and logical, as well as seers, I also love how Charlie has some ghosts as real friends that are constantly there for him.Sam never got his own POV, but he was as much a main character as Charlie, right from Chapter 1, and that remained all throughout the novel. I never felt like he was forgotten, left behind, or that I couldn't connect to him because we never got to see his POV. a really sweet story that reminded me of Cemetery Boys with a British twist, featuring a charmingly diverse cast and lots of ghosts These are the sons of Zilpah, whom Laban gave to Leah, his daughter, and these she bore to Jacob, even sixteen souls.

This book is utterly fantastic. 'Sixteen Souls' is everything I wanted 'City of Ghosts' by V.E. Schwab to be and more. It's rich, it's dark, it's gay af (I swear not a single one of these characters are straight), with a wonderully eerie atmosphere that perfectly captures the city of York in all its haunted, gothic glory. There're plenty of ghostly goings on at all times, and a thoroughly engaging plot that whips along at a brisk, steady pace. The writing is lovely and totally immersive, meaning I absolutely ripped through the entire thing in the space of just 36 hours (elapsed time). The book title's marketing appendix is “TikTok made me buy it” and this is a good indication of who the target audience is. The plot is very fast and very dense. There's always something happening and barely a time to rest. Maybe I'm already to old but I was longing for some kind of breather chapter every now and then. Reading this book is like riding a rollercoaster twenty times in a row nonstop. It's a little bit exhausting. At least for me. I know of people who would scream for a twenty-first ride. This was a case of all the right ingredients but it just not landing for me. I think I will need to give this a second chance at some point. When another seer by the name of Sam takes up residence in York, Charlie can't continue keeping to himself and his ghost friends. Ghosts around York are disappearing, all signs pointing to it being against their will. Your debut novel Sixteen Souls was spotted by publisher Yasmin Morrissey at Scholastic after generating more than 250,000 TikTok views. Do you have any tips for writers who want to delve into the world of Bookstagram and BookTok but don’t know where to start?Their chemistry together is a cute, and again realistic, slow burn. From worrying they're enemies, to a grudging partnership, to a friendship and into romance. They had some cute moments together, that brought them closer, while never forgetting their purpose or responsibilities. SOULS takes the reader for a wild ride in a heart-stopping aviation and legal thriller propelled by irresistible characters, an agonizingly possible airborne dilemma, and a desperate refusal both in the air and in the courtroom to give up in the face of devastating odds. You’re welcome to join the discussion if you’ve read it before or during the month with the book club. Please note that there may be spoilers if you’ve not read the book!

I loved how EVERY character had a purpose. They all have their own strengths and weaknesses, their own parts to play in the plot, and their own experiences with the Seer gift. Every minor character is a part of Charlie's history, and they all help in some way, with their own limits and different experiences to add to his. No one is a perfect know-it-all, who just happens to be in the right place at the right time, or who just happens to know things they shouldn't. Together, they made a team, and supported each other through every struggle and ordeal.Yet, not everything goes to plan. Unlike some books, where everything just happens to work out, against all the odds, Talbot uses realism to its strength. Not every plan they make is pulled off, not every solution they find is correct, and not every villain they unveil is the right villain. Truly enjoyed the writing and the deep character development as well as all the representation in the book. The ghost world was really well explained and felt so unique and special. At the end of the month, join us for a live stream with some of my favourite authors and readers from across social media.

the setting is perfect. It’s set in York which is perfect for the ghostly vibe. I mean it is the home of the York Ghost shop. These are the sons of Zilpah, whom Laban gave to Leah his daughter, and these she bare unto Jacob, even sixteen souls. Getting to know you're characters throughout the book and how they handle the different bombs thrown their way was executed so well. Somehow, Talbot managed to make it crystal clear, right from the start, that this is a world we're familiar with, just with some different rules. The Seer aspect, the touch/can't touch, and the friendly/angry dynamics of the ghosts and Charlie's life amongst them, never felt overwhelming. It wove so well together that I consistently felt grounded in the story, and in Charlie's life.I am delighted to have contributed a terrifying tale to this spooky keep-you-up-all-night anthology of 13 chilling stories curated by authors Amy McCaw and Mia Kuzniar. Sixteen Souls got me on every level - ghosts, history, romance, a compelling story and a protagonist that I really cared about. A stunning debut." Imagine a story that has all the character of York, then fill it with all the ghosts from there too...and whilst you're at it make it QUEER. Perfect if you like books like Cemetery Boys, Ninth House, The Fell of Dark and The Taking of Jake Livingstone.’ What advice do you have for writers looking to incorporate supernatural and fantasy elements in their work?

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment