276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Born to be Mild: Adventures for the Anxious

£7.495£14.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

At first, things go off smoothly but as Urkel continues to ask questions, one of the more talkative members lets slip that he and the other Dragons caused the vandalism and beat up Eddie. This book should have been for me. I sometimes feel crippled by indecision, and I can get very anxious about things, so whilst it was never going to be a self-help book, I thought it may provide some funny insights into the life of someone who suffered similar problems. Also, I like the Very British Problems tweets Rob puts out, but this book was shallow, a bit dull, and not very funny. Though you don’t want to feel as if you’re laughing at Rob’s life, I found this book really funny and, to me, it didn’t feel like you were laughing at his expense – rather laughing along with Rob as he relays lots of humorous, albeit awkward, experiences that lots of people can no doubt relate to, whatever their personality type. It just sums up so much of what it means to be ‘British’ in a humorous, entertaining way – but the inclusion of Rob’s personal experiences and very difficult times add a very real and important message about mental health to this book. You might not assume that someone who manages a funny, light-hearted social media account could be suffering from anxiety, but you never know in reality. It manages to drive home the impact of poor mental health without feeling preachy or over the top, and remains a entertaining and fun read. Maybe life is about learning to be content with what you can be bothered to achieve. And being thankful for peaceful days.

Born to be Mild Lyrics | SongMeanings Weird Al Yankovic - Born to be Mild Lyrics | SongMeanings

A handful of years ago, I moved with my wife to a house on a quiet street in a quiet town and lay quietly in a room for a long time.I tried. I really did. I didn't want my first book of 2021 to be a DNF (did not finish) failure. Yet at 20 something percent I couldn't deal with it anymore. That night, Rachel and the others laugh about how Carl taught The Dragons a lesson in manners and respect. Then, the phone rings. Harriette answers it and learns from Carl that The Dragons returned to Rachel's Place to finish what they started earlier in the day. The damage is far worse than Rachel had ever feared: tables and chairs lying everywhere, video games damaged, the glasses and china broken and The Dragons' logo spray painted on the wall. Then, a promotion was run and the Kindle version dropped to 99p. At 99p I will buy about any book that interests me. I still think far too many people think that promotions should drop the price to zero or that eBooks should be free. I don’t understand this logic. Why should people get for free something which has taken someone many hours, probably over the course of months, to work on? Especially, as in this case, when it would be part of the person’s income. Furthermore, 99p – that’s cheaper than a tea/coffee/beer and will last so much longer. If you don’t enjoy it, so what? It was only 99p – think of how much you spend on other things that you don’t get full enjoyment out of. This is something that I have touched upon in other posts before – see ‘World Book Day – Support Independent Authors‘ and ‘Social Media and Promoting Academic Work‘

Born to be Mild: Adventures for the Anxious - Goodreads Born to be Mild: Adventures for the Anxious - Goodreads

Because Born to be Mild is a book that is honest about anxiety, yet positive, uplifting and ultimately life-affirming and relevant. I really can’t disagree with that. I get frustrated with the pressure to be best and number one, whether it be personally or when one discusses sports teams, pop acts, or even countries. This is something that I have discussed before in relation to my review of The Sportsworld of the Hanshin Tigers by William W. Kelly and I will also be discussing in my book Frankie Fans Say. When driving on the road, I don’t want to be the fastest – I’m happy to be going at my pace (letting the fastest, hopefully, get stopped by the police before me) and just get to my destination. Yes, it’s nice to get recognition for what you do and be seen as an expert – but it doesn’t have to be about being seen as the best. The push to be best and do wild things may drive many people and whole economies, but it also creates ridiculous pressures and, ultimately, probably leads to huge inequalities, social problems, health problems and environmental damage.As the book’s title tells it, what we’re talking about here are not traditional notions of daring-do and high-octane action. Rob doesn’t go skydiving or cast himself off in a barrel upstream from a terrifying waterfall. (Maybe he’s leaving those things for the sequel?) ‘Mild’ means Rob going away on holiday on his own, taking a beekeeping course, trying to learn a new language, and stretching out at a yoga class. “The struggle is real” Plastic Bag” is a song about searching for an escape from personal problems and hoping to find it in the lively atmosphere of a Saturday night party. Ed Sheeran tells the story of his friend and the myriad of troubles he is going through. Unable to find any solutions, this friend seeks a last resort in a party and the vanity that comes with it. Rob Temple runs the social-media empire Very British Problems from the comfort of his own sofa, but what happens when the four walls of your living room become your world? Best quote from the book....when he decided to become flexitarian!! ( veggie, but with the option to add meat or dairy whenever he feels like it!!)

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment