276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Where the River Runs Gold

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

The journey ahead is fraught with danger, but Shifa is strong and knows to listen to her instincts - to let hope guide them home. The freedom of a nation depends on it . . . About This Edition ISBN: Celebrations include various events coordinated globally by earthday.org. Around 1 billion people in more than 193 countries take part. Extract Three: JUSTICE (Taken from Chapter 19) Ailish handed Shifa a misting gun. They have us spray the strawberries with it to make them stay perfect for longer, Ailish explained. As she worked the chemical residue settled on her tongue. Shifa wrinkled her nose and pursed her lips. Ailish laughed. Watch the wind doesn t turn or your face ll stay like that! You ll get used to it! That would be the most dangerous thing I could do, Shifa thought, get used to it. The sense of injustice that had been growing in her since she d entered the agora was burning ever fiercer now. She cast around her fellow recruits. I m a child, we re all children, she reminded herself. Hot and exhausted from long hours of work and far away from home. She thought about the Paragon children who would eat these perfect strawberries, decorate their homes with birds of paradise and would never know the conditions they were grown in. If the cost of a beautiful life for one child meant enslavement for another. how could you call it freedom? Lottie had been right to have no faith in the system. The whole concept of Freedom Fields was a lie. p171 Shifa and Themba are raised by their father Nabil as twins but Shifa is constantly watching out for Themba who is the more trusting and gentler of the two. Themba although never explicitly mentioned, is coded as autistic and the author beautifully depicts him as a boy who simply sees things in a different way. He is a wonderful artist and constantly takes to drawing and painting when he feels stressed. I particularly loved how he came up with rhymes to help himself remember more information. His utter innocence and ability to forgive people who have hurt him just tugged at my heart. PROTECT THIS CINNAMON ROLL. Where the River Runs Gold Sita Brahmachari Introduction Suitable for: Ages 9 11 Includes: Extracts from the text + corresponding discussion questions and activities Themes: Climate; Justice; Stories; Love Contents EXTRACT 1: Climate Chaos (taken from Chapter Two) Objectives: Explore the issue of Climate Change; draw a sketch of a Graffitree and complete a creative piece of writing inspired by the natural world. Subjects: Literacy: Creative Writing, Geography, Science, Design, Art and Technology EXTRACT 2: Stories (taken from Chapter Six) Objectives: Explore the theme of storytelling in relation to different characters in the text; share a meaningful story with your classmates explaining its significance to you. Subjects: Literacy: Reading for Pleasure, Drama, PSHE EXTRACT 3: Justice (taken from Chapter Nineteen) Objectives: Analyse the theme of injustice in the book and in the world today; create a Social Justice Recipe listing all the ingredients that make a society fair for all. Subjects: Citizenship, PSHE, Design, Art and Technology EXTRACT 4: Love (taken from Chapter Twenty-Nine) Objectives: Consider the relationship between love and trust in the story and in society as a whole; design a card or write a poem with the purpose of telling someone that you love them. Subjects: Literacy: Creative Writing, Poetry, Citizenship, PSHE, Design, Art and Technology

Having had an interest in climate change (now crisis) and global issues/affairs from the age of 12, I went onto study Geography and World Development at A Level and then Politics and International Relations at university. Due to this, Where the River Runs Gold spoke to me on a level no other fiction book has before. Having studied the theories of Rostow, Boserup, and Malthus, this book echoes these theories in an accessible way for children, highlighting the brink of human history that we are currently edging towards. Although the book is based in a dystopian future, the storyline is so close to what we are already experiencing in the world today and I feel elements of the story are not far off happening in the near future.

Extremely ravaged by the hurricane Kronos, the city of Kairo is not the same anymore. Bees have vanished and pollination can only be carried out artificially through hands for which children are enforced to work on the fields. Shifa and her brother, Themba, live in Kairos City with their father, Nabil. The few live in luxury, whilst the millions like them crowd together in compounds, surviving on meagre rations and governed by Freedom Fields - the organisation that looks after you, as long as you opt in. A ‘climate-fiction’ story provides an intriguing setting and a ready-made goal (finding clean water / air / land / food / justice). Pupils can write survival stories, journeys and revolutions. 2. Get gardening Aimed at children aged 9+, Where the River Runs Gold would be useful in a classroom context as an example of wonderful descriptive language or perhaps extracts could be used for class discussion, but as a narrative, it sadly falls a little flat. The society has been divided into three classes with the Paragons ruthlessly reigning at the top and the Outlanders left out to scavenge for themselves in the outskirts. The Freedoms are the most oppressed in the name of development necessities. The social hierarchy mirrors our modern day turmoils where the privileged always dominates the needy and a dystopian outlook only heightens the matter.

Chelsea Taylor was just a teen when she left her parents property in the township of Barker. As a promising pianist, Chelsea had won a scholarship to study at Adelaide's Conservatorium- a sacrifice for her hard working parents. Where the River Runs Gold is a passionate book about the need to protect nature and save the environment, lest we fall into a state of dystopia like the characters in the book. I felt like it would have been nice if there was a moment where we got details from Nabil's perspective of how the world started to unravel or how the Freedom Fields Family were an inspiring foundation at first. A story told by Nabil or a diary entry that Shifa finds would have been perfect. Finally, there were some loose ends which I really wanted tying up - like did she get to see Yara, Themba and Luca again, did she ever find out who her real mum was, and why wasn't she arrested after being spotted on the roof of the train. It is easy to revel in the writing of Fleur McDonald, she is a formidable talent in the field of Australian rural fiction. Not only does she do rural fiction extremely well, the added bonus of a great line of crime, intrigue and suspense simply suspends the reader. Where the River Runs comes highly recommended to all passionate Aussie readers.The climate and biodiversity crisis are the biggest challenges we face, and there are difficult times ahead, especially for younger generations. The other problem is that it doesn't seem to occur to anyone to wonder why a company whose mandate is to feed as many people as possible is wasting space and workers' time on lilies, roses and bird of paradise flowers. Sunflowers I can understand, as the seeds are a food source, but as far as I know the others just look pretty. Shifa evens notes that the smell has been bred out of them. Make time to take your class outside to any wilder areas in your school grounds, or visit local green spaces. Like most dystopian books, society is divided: the Paragons (i.e. the rich ones), the Freedoms (i.e. the poor ones) and the Foragers. It is unclear exactly who the Foragers are, perhaps people who have not rejected this societies way of life? I was left wanting to know more about them. Exactly how this society works and came into existence is not explained.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment