276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Getting Rid of Matthew

£3.495£6.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

The 2 women stay friends with the truth all out there and I love it!! Helen also talks about maybe restarting her relationship with the son who is actually closer to her age! Helen demands more of his time, but initially he refuses to leave his wife Sophie and his two daughters and Helen is left frustrated and alone in her flat with just her TV dinners for company. I have rated this book on the level which I enjoyed it rather than the quality of the writing. The writing is actually pretty good - except for the odd glitch where absent characters suddenly speak in conversations - but unfortunately this type of novel isn't my thing. Helen is single heading towards her 40-s birthday. She is hopelessly in love with a married man, who is also her boss. Helen's job is less than exciting, she is a PA, a glorified secretary with mundane monotonous tasks. Her flats is small and dump, her perspectives in life generally do not make her happy. With that said, I think Fallon also has a deft touch when it comes to characterisation. She writes strong and real female characters, who are bitchy and loving by turn. Those that are mothers have warm and realistic relationships with their children, who are also written well.

A woman is having an affair with a married man. Just as she decides she's getting fed up with it/him (4 years into the affair), he shows up on her doorstep having left his family and now wants to be with her. But let's be clear: Helen is not painted as an innocent woman. She knows her affair is wrong, but while caught up in it the mind works differently: this, to me, felt absolutely real and true to human nature and the way our emotions and minds work. There's such clarity about Helen and Sophie, whose perspectives dominate the narrative (Matthew gets a few bits throughout, but it's largely told from the two women's perspectives). And when Helen "wakes up" to her life, the lies she lives and the damage she's done, she's even more real. How do you get rid of a boyfriend you're no longer interested in, but who seems like they'd fall apart if you tried to break it off? I've certainly experienced that before, and Helen's distaste for Matthew's personal habits once he lives with her, once it becomes "real" rather than an affair, is comical because it's so familiar. Fallon does a fine job of balancing sympathy with "just desserts": Helen does deserve it, after all. She's less-than-amused that this has happened and decides to do everything in her power to repel him and make him want to leave her. This includes buying incontinence pads and leaving them about the house, not shaving...anywhere...ever...you get the idea.Her married lover Matthew comes across as a self-centred, arrogant philanderer, with few redeeming features apart from being rich and handsome, although Fallon ensures that other men in the novel don't get quite such a rough ride.

Rebecca and Daniel are happily married, and love their life together with their two children. They’ve known their best friends Alex and Isabel since they were at University and they’ve always done everything as a Foursome, from getting married to babies and even group holidays. I won't go about recommending it left and right, but if you stumble upon it I'd say you can give it a go and have an ok reading. The book made me laugh and gasp: "Oh, this is sooooo true!!" there are a few good twists and really funny moments, but the main twists are very, very far stretched... Matthew is married to Sophie and they have 2 children. One would think it's a perfect marriage and to Sophie it is. Matthew however has been cheating on Sophie with Helen for 4 years. He finally decides to leave Sophie and live with Helen but now Helen isn't sure she wants him any more. Helen has to figure a way to get Matthew out of her house. She makes friends with Sophie (Sophie has no idea who Helen is) and the fun begins. She was educated at St Bernard's Convent School in Slough, Berkshire, and University College London, where she studied history, graduating with a bachelor of arts in 1982. [3] Alongside her studies, she started writing for the history department's magazine, for the university newspaper, London Student, and for Pi Magazine. [4] Career [ edit ]One night in October 2004, when she couldn't sleep (she is a lifelong insomniac) she came up with the idea for Getting Rid Of Matthew. At the start of the novel, Fallon switches the reader's viewpoint between Helen's life and Matthew's wife Sophie.

Fallon gets her characters into situations that seem impossible to get out of, stretching the limits of the reader’s expectations constantly. I found myself saying, “I have no idea how she’s going to get out of this one” and, “I can’t believe that just happened!” many times throughout the novel. Any book that truly takes me by surprise is appreciated by me, but a book that continuously keeps me on my toes with absolutely no clue as to how the characters’ situations will resolve – or whether they will at all – is refreshingly brilliant. I can’t say this book is a happy read as the plot is all secrets , broken relationships and friendship going awry . My Secret Life: Jane Fallon, author & TV producer, 49". The Independent. 13 March 2010 . Retrieved 28 August 2014.

Select a format:

Jane Elizabeth Mary Fallon (born 9 December 1960) [1] is an English author and television producer. Sharp, Rob (13 March 2010). "My secret life: Jane Fallon, author & TV producer, 49". Independent. London . Retrieved 11 August 2022. Alloy’s romance Purple Hearts, starring Sofia Carson and Nicolas Galitzine, just became the seventh most-watched movie in Netflix history. The film from director Elizabeth Allen Rosenbaum follows struggling singer-songwriter Cassie (Carson) and troubled Marine Luke (Galitzine) as they agree to marry solely for military benefits, in spite of their many differences.But when tragedy strikes, the line between real and pretend begins to blur. Two months later, having been told by the English and History of Art departments that they would give her a place but only for the following academic year, she switched to History because they said "start tomorrow". She got a third.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment