276°
Posted 20 hours ago

City of Ghosts: 1

£4.495£8.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

The strength of this book is in the writing, which has an immersive scene-setting similar to Cruz Smith at his early best. His inquiries take him from Leningrad to Moscow and involve victims of the Soviet gulags to the highest offices in the land. I wish I could travel back in time and hand myself a copy of this when I was younger as it is such an incredible read and it was a book I would have loved with all my heart and soul.

If they have fleshed out morally grey characters and an intriguing story line I’ll be a goner before I can say: “What? There was a little bit of foreboding at the end of the book so we’ll see what’s going to happen next. As the characters are revealed, you are drawn in to a world full of desperate barely surviving survivors of war, atrocities, betrayals and hopelessness and that are made all the more realistic in the descriptions of their frailties, flaws, dreams and memories of happier times. Man spürt als Leser, wie der Krieg noch die ganzen Nebenfiguren sowie die Landschaften beeinflusst hat.

I don’t know how her other YA and adult books are but after giving “City of Ghosts” a try I’m convinced that I’ll like her other series as well. This was a quick read and a little girl seeing ghosts wasn't uninteresting but I wouldn't recommend it unless you are 12 or under, or usually love MG. I also enjoyed that Cass can actually see ghosts, and interact with them, even though no one else in her family can. Instead of summer at the beach, Cassidy’s parents have dragged her on a trip to Edinburgh to film their new TV show.

Like, Cassidy does have a cat named Grim, but they aren’t brought up very much, and when they are it is in their carrier. I also LOVED that this was set in Edinburgh; if I’m correct, each book in the series takes place in a different city, which I think is super cool. We work closely with publishers and authors to ensure that we offer the best books on the market for your child.There are numerous references to the debilitating siege of the city, the reverberation of the incredible stress and want that this caused, and yet the fierce sense of survival that arose in the populace to overcome this torrid time. Everything seemed dimmed down, but I guess it had to be because the audience that’s being catered to now has changed. It’s pretty obvious who the villain is before we even reach the halfway point and you keep wondering how the ultra-smart detective can’t see the obvious. That is, until her parents, who are ghost hunters, by the way, get a once in a lifetime opportunity to film a show about the most haunted spots in Scotland. Corruption is rife, abject poverty strongly in evidence but largely ignored by the higher echelons of power, and Creed paints an incredibly convincing picture of a society and city still bearing the wounds of the Second World War.

The books are perfect for middle-grade readers and fans of Neil Gaiman and Laini Taylor - they are ghostly stories of friendship and adventure that are haunting and mysterious, without being too terrifying.Of course, this book is by Victoria Schwab, and I don’t know if the woman is altogether comfortable with writing a story without any sadness. Surprisingly, Nikitin becomes his ally in pursuing rapists and murderers among Stalin's top ranking leaders. Fazit: Wer also Lust auf eine Reise in das kalte Russland in der Nachkriegszeit hat und dabei einen spannenden sowie sehr komplexen Plot verfolgen möchte, sollte sich mit diesem Thriller vertraut machen.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment