276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Escaping Hitler: A Jewish Boy's Quest for Freedom and His Future

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

stars because although I did find it super interesting, I found some parts quite technical and I did kind of just want the book to be finished in some places. Today, 18th October 2021, I visited the headstone of Joe and his wife Jean, set in the peaceful beauty of Earlham Cemetery in Norwich. Her publications include Los Poetas y El General: Voces de oposición en Chile bajo Augusto Pinochet, 1973–1989 / The Poets and the General: Chile's Voices of Dissent under Augusto Pinochet, 1973–1989 and Huyendo del Infierno Nazi: La inmigración judio-alemana hacia Chile en los años treinta. He has written several books including The Fisherman's Apprentice and the Monty Halls' Great Escape series, and is a regular contributor to magazines and newspapers.

During an emotional ‘foot-stepping’ journey in September 2013 the author visited Günter’s birthplace, met with a school friend, discovered the apartment in Koblenz where he fled following Kristallnacht in 1938, drove the route of Günter’s walk through Europe and retraced the final steps of his parents prior to their deportation to a Nazi death camp in Poland during 1942. The ending was sweet and drew a good conclusion to the story, promoting a sense of reflection for the reader. Escaping Hitler: A Jewish Boy's Quest for Freedom and his Future BIOGRAPHY OF JOE STIRLING by PHYLLIDA SCRIVENS published by Pen and Sword Books on 5th January 2016. Escaping Hitler is the personal story of Eva Wyman and her family’s escape from Nazi Germany to Chile in the sociohistorical context of 1930s and 1940s, a time when the Chilean Nazi party had an active presence in the country’s major institutions. Phyllida Scrivens brings the ninety years of Joe's remarkable life together in an accessible and entertaining narrative.Some of the most extraordinary stories of courage and endurance in the Second World War concern the freedom trails, the dangerous escape routes out of Nazi Occupied Europe. The young Jewish boy, Günter Stern, was well treated by his teachers, his parents inviting his school friends to play with him.

You can change your choices at any time by visiting Cookie preferences, as described in the Cookie notice. The final days in Hitler’s bunker are revealed in atmospheric detail, as the Red Army closed in and the inevitable end loomed menacingly nearer with the passing of every hour.But it was not only the escapees and evaders who showed courage but the partisans and other civilians who at great risk not only to themselves but reprisals against their families and in some instances entire villages. This work concentrates on the last few days of Hitler, his Berlin bunker, and those who remained with him during the days leading to the bitter end of the war. Every year, an untold number of articles and books are published, and television programmes and internet pages are produced, by respected historians through to amateur conspiracy theorists. On the sad occasion of the death of The Duke of Edinburgh, Prince Philip, I would love to share this story about his visit to Norwich in July 1975 as it appears in my first book Escaping Hitler (published by Pen and Sword Books in 2016).

The early extracts from Joe Stirling’s interviews with his biographer Phyllida Scrivens, with which every chapter starts, convey a chilling reminder of Germany’s descent over four years from a reasonably tolerant respectable decentralised society into the intense nationalism, brutality and fascism of the Third Reich.

He had reason to believe, from listening to my talk and matching the details with those from his family folklore, that his great-grandmother BERTA SCHÖNEWALD, may be been on that same deportation train on 22nd March 1942, heading to her death in Sobibor death camp. Anyone who openly criticised him or the Nazi party, they didn’t go to court or anything, they were political prisoners and locked up in the camps – these were not Jews, no Jewish people were making speeches against the Nazis. So today I will silently think about Joe and his parents, Alfred and Ida, just two of so many who were murdered by the Nazis. I miss him every day and always enjoy giving “his talk” to groups around Norfolk, sharing tales of his childhood in Nazi Germany, his freedom walk through Europe and his achievements in later life, so many recorded in my biography Escaping Hitler (Pen and Sword Books 2016). Knowing Joe’s story as well as I did, I could imagine his parents, their life in the rural Rhineland village of Nickenich, their horrific experience of Kristalnacht, and the journey they took to their deaths in Sobibor Death Camp.

A number were given Hitler’s personal assistance in the form of transport out of the city center and even to the two airports still open to the Luftwaffe. The account presents the reader with an air of approaching doom as Hitler and a number of his staff openly talked of their suicide – rather than be taken prisoner by the Russians. The author embarked on a 'foot stepping' journey in September 2013 visiting the key places in Joe's early life in Germany and Northern Europe.I remember so many birthdays – visiting his home in Norwich to find stacks of brightly coloured greetings cards from friends around the world, and wrapped parcels from his many loving family members. If you then add in sales directly from book exhibitions and individual readers approaching me online or via the telephone, total direct sales amount to 891 and counting! It is co-incidences and remarkable encounters like these that make biography such a fascinating and rewarding genre. People who never asked for the plaudits or glory, they simply thought they were doing what was right.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment