276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Command: How the Allies Learned to Win the Second World War

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

There is no doubting Murray’s smarts, nor his ability as a comic, but in taking the populist route he is selling everyone short. The Oxford Literary Festival has in my mind become the leading literary festival of the year. The organisation, the roster of speakers, the ambience and the sheer quality of it all is superb. May it now go from strength to strength each year stretching its ambition more and more. I believe it will. Robin Hood Airport tweet bomb joke man wins case". BBC News Online. 27 July 2012 . Retrieved 9 September 2012.

Al Murray review – the ultimate Brexiteer remains on the Al Murray review – the ultimate Brexiteer remains on the

I came away buzzing and reassured that we still have in this century a wide ranging community fascinated not just by famous authors (I’ve rarely seen so many concentrated in one place) but by challenging ideas and questions. Command is everything popular history should be: authoritative, full of deep wisdom and knowledge, genuinely fresh and original in approach and content, and both compelling and entertainingly written.’ James Holland

Get Notified

About the Author: Al Murray is one of the most successful comics in the UK with his alter-ego The Pub Landlord and has had four previous bestselling books, The Pub Landlord's Book of British Common Sense, The Pub Landlord Says Think Yourself British, Great British Pub Quiz Book and Watching War Films with my Dad. One of the most popular live comedy acts in the country, Al has sold out arenas nationwide, including London's O2 Arena. He has earned numerous awards and accolades, such as the British Comedy Award for his ITV1 series Al Murray's Happy Hour, the Perrier Award and two Olivier Award nominations. On 14 January 2015, Murray announced his formation of the "Free United Kingdom Party" (FUKP) [39] and declared his candidacy, deploying his Pub Landlord persona, for the seat of South Thanet [40] running against UKIP leader Nigel Farage, as parliamentary candidate in the 2015 general election. [41] [42] Murray's agent, Dan Lloyd, told the BBC: "it's definitely happening". [41] The party's logo is an upside-down pound sign, not dissimilar to UKIP's purple and gold pound sign. [43] Murray said: "it seems to me that the UK is ready for a bloke waving a pint around, offering common sense solutions", adding: "let it be known that like many of the parliamentary hopefuls in the forthcoming election, I have no idea where South Thanet is – but did that stop Margaret Thatcher from saving the Falkland Islands? No!” [44] Written in an accessible style, not the dusty history books of the past, it has been carefully researched and represents a work of real substance. I would imagine that his understanding of the subject and real empathy with the ordinary solider proves popular with members of the armed forces and veterans alike.

Al Murray - Wikipedia Al Murray - Wikipedia

I loved the whole atmosphere of the Oxford Literary Festival. From breakfast, alongside some of the attendees, who were talking books with each other a mile a minute, to the public event at The Sheldonian where everyone was lively and engaged – I felt I had arrived in a kind of literary heaven. Al Murray's passion for military history and the Second World War in particular has always run parallel with his comedy and was brought to the fore with several acclaimed and award-winning television shows and the recent huge success of his podcast We Have Ways of Making You Talk which he hosts with fellow bestselling military author James Holland. In his first serious narrative book, Command showcases Al Murray's passion for this pivotal period in the twentieth century, as he writes an engaging, entertaining and sharp analysis of the key allied military leaders in the conflict.Murray, best-known for his character the Pub Landlord, has also made award-winning television shows on military history and has seen huge success hosting a podcast with fellow bestselling military historian James Holland, We Have Ways of Making You Talk. Command sees Murray analysing key military leaders of the Second World War, including some of the lesser-known officers. Through them, he tells how the allies rebounded from early defeats at Dunkirk and Pearl Harbour to victories at El Alamein and the D-Day invasion. Often as an author, I only occasionally get to meet the public who buy and read my books. The Oxford Literary Festival was a special opportunity for me and certainly one of the highlights of my career – it was an honour I will never forget.

Command: How the Allies Learned to Win the Second World War

Alastair James Hay Murray (born 10 May 1968), more commonly known as Al Murray, is an English comedian, actor, musician and writer. Murray was educated at Bedford School, [9] and St Edmund Hall, Oxford, where he read Modern History. [10] He later said of his time at school: "When I was nine I was sent to boarding school, which I despised. The first five years were hideous because I wanted to be at home. I guess I resented my parents a little and it put tons of distance between us. One of the things I took from boarding school is that it made me emotionally self-sufficient." [11]Election of a Member of Parliament: South Thanet Constituency". Thanet District Council. Archived from the original on 7 May 2015 . Retrieved 26 April 2015. Landlord pulls in stars". Manchester Evening News. Archived from the original on 25 January 2007 . Retrieved 12 February 2007.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment