276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Legacy of Ash: Book One of the Legacy Trilogy

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Matthew Ward has frequently been accused of living in worlds of his own imagination, though really he lives near Nottingham with his extremely patient wife and several attention-seeking cats. He had suffered an eight-year defeat on this question but would leave a legacy of ashes for his successor. We then move forward to fifteen years later, and the Prince of Hadari plots to set his army upon the lands of the Tressian Republic to further his rule and secure his seat on the Emperor’s throne.

Unless you are a regular contributor on here or we chat on Twitter, you may not link to any other group such as your own. There is a quest for freedom, there are legendary knights, characters who can wield magic, ethereal beings, and there is the age-old war between light and dark, although this book does give a somewhat fresh perspective on that! According to Johnson and Jeffreys-Jones, Weiner "seem[s] to have no knowledge at all of the solid academic work on intelligence that scholars have published. I was going to compare LEGACY OF ASH to another series that I truly love, but in the end, I don't think it's fair to do so. However, the Council dangles from puppet strings, promising nothing more than death and destruction for the entire Tressian Republic.Worse, upon arriving in Tressia, it became apparent that Ebigail’s political machinations afflicted more than the Southshires. The insidious Parliament of Crows schemes in the shadows, while to the east the Hadari Emperor gathers his armies. And then Josiri was through the line, his horse’s greedy stride gobbling the last distance to the west gate. Personally I appreciated this so much, because the fantastical is an element that is a huge part of the fantasy genre; the possibilities are endless, so why not celebrate that? There is not a singular plot in this story, but as the book progresses each character adds to the overall plot and the small subplots throughout the book, spinning a complex web of intrigue.

I feel like there’s a fair bit of contradiction in how I feel about it, with characters that were both interesting and lackluster and a story that was both slow and full of action. There’s no question that it requires a bit of commitment, but it rewards the reader with an expansive tale that makes use of its considerable word count to build a vibrant world and tell a complex, thoughtful and character-led story. As a lover of long fantasy, this book felt completely familiar while also providing an intriguing story and even more intriguing cast of characters. The only curse word the novel used was “damn,” (unless I missed any) and Ward wrote any sort of sexual contact in euphemisms. Not only that, but despite the larger scope of characters in this book, all were relevant and had a significant role to play in the overall plot of the book.Your payment method will be charged immediately, and the product is expected to ship on or around November 5, 2019. I later did this with Steven Pacey and now he is one of my favourite listens, though that could also be heavily due to the fact I am listening to Abercrombie’s First Law Trilogy! It’s a suitable backdrop to a classic motif of history repeating itself, not so much in the LoTR/Wheel of Time vein but rather in characters unwittingly making the same mistakes as their forebears, some fighting against the pull of the past, and others willfully choosing paths that will see them become the monsters their predecessors tried so hard to destroy. Plus using so many foreign sounding names of people and places doesn't help anyone with keeping them straight. One by one, Josiri’s remaining allies joined Viktor’s outnumbered army and met the Hadari in unequal battle at Davenwood.

This book is a tome to say the least; rounding up at 764 pages, this is one hell of an ambitious epic fantasy, and one that completely enchanted me. Her favourite authors include; Tolkien, Jen Williams, John Gwynne, Joe Abercrombie, Alix E Harrow, and Fonda Lee.This holistic representation of each side of war is refreshing as it is common in fantasy novels to present its narrative in a simplistic good versus evil structure and only giving the perspective of one side, normally the good. Ward did an incredible job of keeping each character distinctive in their personality and their motivations. Ruling families -- once protectors of justice and democracy -- now plot against one another with sharp words and sharper knives.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment