276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Walking the Wainwrights: With Stuart Marshall

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Of course to fully appreciate the above you really need to possess the guides, they are readily available in most good bookshopsor directly from their publishers Frances Lincoln. The guides have all been updated with a second edition by Chris Jesty. A life's goal for some, fun activity with no pressure for others, but I'm sure we've all heard of the Wainwright's and might want to attempt one of the hikes at some point! Birkhouse Moor - Catstye Cam - Helvellyn - Nethermost Pike - Dollywagon Pike - Seat Sandal - St Sunday Crag - Birks - Arnison Crag

Martindale New Church - Hallin Fell - Birkie Knott - Steel Fell (Pikawassa) - Martindale - Matindale Old Church - Boredale Valley - Boredale Hause - Steel Edge - Place Fell - Low Moss - Garth Head Farm - The Hause - Martindale New Church Important Note: I provide maps, statistics and route files in .gpx and Google Earth .kmz data forms for each walk in the compilation. Presently the 'Walking the Wainwright's' book is not available. Listed below are two alternative Wainwright's completion books, the first to be done in 45 walks and the second in 64 walks. This is a complete set of all the Wainwright's in one place and split in edible chunks. Most of these hikes are still quite hard with the rare exception of an easier route. Shipman Knotts - Kentmere Pike - Harter Fell (Mardale) - Mardale III Bell - Branstree - Selside Pike - Grey Crag - Tarn Crag (Longsleddale) The hardest walk in this collection is 12½ miles long and you can complete them all without any special equipment or knowledge. All you need is some good quality walking boots and clothing, food and water, accurate & up-to-date route instructions and the desire and stamina to do something truly memorable.

I printed and laminated all the walks and used them for each fell. The grid references were particularly useful as I mainly use my Satmap GPS on the walks. (I also take a map). Monks Bridge - Tongue How - Worm Gill - Caw Fell - Iron Crag - Whoap - Lank Rigg - Whoap - Crag Fell - Grike - Blakeley Moss - Kinniside Stone Circle For the uninitiated, a Wainwright refers to one of 214 fells in the Lake District named after Alfred Wainwright, and hill bagging (also known as peak bagging and mountain bagging) refers to having climbed a particular hill, and the objective for some people is to climb as many as you can.

The Wainwrights are a group of 214 fells (hills and mountains) in the Lake District. They are all connected by featuring in Alfred Wainwright’s famous guidebooks: A Pictorial Guide to the Lakeland Fells. The guidebooks have been in continuous publication since the first book was released in 1955 (the last was published in 1966 – they took him many years to write) and have sold over two million copies. When the walks were first penned, I was fortunate enough to be offered help with the challenge. This meant I could include a handful of linear walks where two cars can be used. This is crucial to some of the routes so I am eternally grateful. Without this offer I am certain the challenge wouldn't have gone ahead. Indeed, if you are really dedicated - you could easily complete all 59 Walk the Wainwrights walks in a single year - something very few people manage and an achievement to be truly proud of.Choosing the most appropriate routes was surprisingly difficult and took a great deal of time and effort to achieve. But the overriding emphasis is on the quality of each of the 59 walks we have chosen to ensure that you'll get the true flavour of the Lake District from every angle, every corner and every view point. Rannerdale Knotts - Whiteless Pike - Wandope - Grasmoor - Whiteside - Hopegill Head - Grisedale Pike - Eel Crag (Crag Hill) - Sail - Scar Crags - Causey Pike - Outerside - Barrow Lastly I want to touch on the subject of how can I take in the splendor of what Lakeland has to offer whilst collecting so many summits at one time. Surely things aren't meant to rushed; and that I agree on. Last year I was spending up to twelve hours per walk on the fells were at times I witnessed sunrise and sunset during the same walk. I witnessed seasons come and go which left a hole in my heart once completed, which is just the reason why I have set myself this new and exciting challenge. I couldn't think of a better reason to spend so much time in a place I love while experiencing all that Lakeland has to offer.

Nab Scar - Heron Pike - Stone Arthur - Great Rigg - Fairfield - Hart Crag - Dove Crag - High Pike - Low Pike What you need is a series of circular walks that connect all 214 Wainwrights together in a series of 59 day walks that includes all the latest route information but that are not exhaustingly long so anyone can complete them and enjoy the experience.

If you’re looking for more of a challenge, then Yewbarrow and Middle Dodd are where you’ll want to head. Although they are not the highest at 628m and 654m respectively, the ascents are steep making them a real physical challenge. And that would be a real shame because the 59 Walk the Wainwrights walks we have selected visit some of the truly loveliest spots in the Lake District. Places where you should take time to linger and take in the stunning scenery. Places where perhaps you will get a little insight into what drew Alfred Wainwright himself to the area over and over again. Great Mell Fell - Little Mell Fell - Gowbarrow Fell - Hart Side - Sheffield Pike - Glenridding Dodd Pelter Bridge - A591 - Rydal Mount - Nab Scar - Heron Pike - Greenhead Gill - Stone Arthur - Great Rigg - Fairfield - Hart Crag - Dove Crag - High Pike - Low Pike - Low Sweden Copice - Rydal Park - Rydal Mount - A591 - Pelter Bridge

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment