276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Ravensburger Jurassic Park Danger! - Adventure Strategy Game

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Once that is done, human players will reveal their cards, move their characters accordingly and play optional free actions. The more recent trend of having older movies converted into board game form has seen some surprising, older movies adapted for the tabletop though – and there’s an unusual thread linking them aside from their source material. Die Hard: The Nakatomi Heist is an asymmetrical, one vs many game with one player taking on the role of John McClane and everyone else playing as the thieves. Other board game adaptations take the one vs many approach too, such as The Shining, Home Alone and the game I’m covering here – the awkwardly titled: Jurassic Park: Danger! Adventure Strategy Game. Jurassic Park: Danger!’ is a lightweight one-vs.-many style of game for two to five players, and is primarily based on the second and third acts of the original film. The dinosaurs are already running amok and the humans are desperately running for their lives. All the dinosaur player really has to do to win is cause carnage and mayhem – slowly whittling down potential victims until three of them have eventually been eaten… errr, eliminated. Up to four other players, however, must jointly find a way to have their characters complete certain objectives and survive long enough before two or three of them (depending on the number of players) can make it to the helicopter and claim victory.

Like Dr Grant, we have decided not to endorse this park and we would have gladly paid more for a better product, both in quality and execution. Jurassic Park: Danger feels like 80% of a game, it looks like a game and sounds like a game, but it just misses the mark. Both dinosaurs and humans can move around the board by running, climbing and sneaking, and sometimes need to roll a particular number or higher, to be allowed to perform a certain move on their card.

THE BOTTOM LINE:

Maybe human players could explore the map, discovering the areas they need as they go? Meanwhile, the dinosaur player can look at the whole map so they know where everything is and plan accordingly. This would allow for traps & ambushes, really helping to build a sense of tension for the humans. I didn't have the opportunity to play with four human players, but it seems like that would be an unfair advantage for the humans. Adding another character to chase after as the dinosaur team sounds like it would be way more challenging than having an equal number of members on each team. Even recently, the most popular – or at least most prevalent – licensed games tend to be Monopoly reskins that do nothing to change the game except (yep, you guessed it) amend the text and illustrations. I must note, however, that there have been some decent attempts at changing this, with the Mario and Sonic ‘Gamer’ variants having much more streamlined play and elements such as bosses to deal with. There’s a recent trend in the board games world that’s seen classic movies adapted into tabletop form. Licensed games tend to have a very bad name, for good reason; they’re often rushed to meet the release date of a movie or lazily shoehorned into an existing format – and aimed at undiscerning or just plain unaware consumers. The most common expectation, certainly when I was a kid, was that a licensed game would be nothing more than a roll and move game with some loosely thematic text and illustrations slapped onto the board and components.

The challenge of the game for the players playing as the human characters comes in figuring a way to use the actions on the cards to maneuver around the island, activate the locations, achieve their personal goal, and get to the helicopter pad.Dom’s final thoughts are around the artwork & quality of Jurassic Park: Danger as a product. The puzzle-esque nature is interesting and each tile has its own unique design making for a visually appealing game. The card quality is fine, but the map tiles feel like they will not survive too many playthroughs.

The start location is always only 4 moves away from the escape point, making it extremely difficult for the dinosaur player to stop humans from escaping in the end phase of the game. Thematically, if Dennis “Marathons are for Losers” Nedry can outpace a velociraptor, you should probably revisit your game mechanics. If you like Pandemic though and are considering buying a Pandemic game, I’d highly recommend Pandemic Legacy. It’s a great game and experience to go along with it. That’s because it’s Pandemic but with new elements that get revealed with certain events and decisions you make in one game carry over to the next game. It’s fantastic. As always, we brought a friend along who has never played before to get their opinion on Jurassic Park: Danger. “Good concept, not as great execution” is how Ione summed this game up, and we have to say we agree. Ione really enjoyed how the game has so many characters (almost everyone in the original film is playable) but also felt the game does not always know what to do with them all, making the game feel clunky and awkward at times. Dom’s Final Thoughts Some human characters’ victory rules are interesting. Tim & Lex, for example, need to visit certain areas on the board to get their victory token, and this is one of the really good aspects of Jurassic Park: Danger as it adds another level of planning and difficulty for the human players.I was transported to Isla Nublar and caught up in a world with dinosaurs that exploded my imagination. And it’s remained a favorite movie of mine ever since. As for the dinosaur player, they control all three of the carnivores – TREX, Dilophosaurus and Velociraptor, which the ability to move all three during one turn, depending on their cards and strategy. Each dinosaur has one “special move” that can be used in addition to their card moves, which can help to give the dinosaur player an advantage.

The artwork for each character is pulled straight from the movie and helps give each character a distinct feel. However, the generic meeple is a let-down, as are the dinosaur pieces. It seems odd to be able to make a Jurassic Park game but not be able to use the real dinosaurs, especially as every other aspect of the game seems true to the movie. Andy’s Final Thoughts I’ll also warn you that it’s the longest video review we’ve done. Since it’s a them I love so much, I couldn’t help but dive into detail about all aspect of the game. This also means you’ll benefit from seeing examples of game play situations. That’s when we landed on our house rule to always play with 4 human characters in the game – no matter the number of players. This may mean that one or more players will need to control 2 human characters, but that also makes the game more fun for them as well. First of all, they have a better chance to success. And secondly, the dinosaur player controls multiple pawns on the board, so why not have other players control multiple pawns as well?Both Betrayal & Alien present a new scenario each time you play to keep the game fresh, this could also be applied to Jurassic Park: Danger and would really compliment the tile design of the board. Unfortunately, as it stands, the game is very repetitive and can get boring even after a couple of playthroughs.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment