276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Hostage: The emotional 'what would you do?' thriller from the Sunday Times bestseller

£7.495£14.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Hostage is 1 of 4 similarly themed novels (that I’m aware of) touching ground this summer, and the 3rd (and last) one I read. Building to a climax, the passengers were exposed for who they real was along with their actions, thus showing how people can be manipulated when their weak spots are laid bare. I loved the multiple POV, starting from Adam the husband at home, to Mina getting ready to fly as well as some of the passengers. There are a variety of settings: Adams work, the journey to school, home and the flight. We gradually learn about the uneasy family dynamics of Adam, Mina and their five year old daughter, Sophia. A good book you can enjoy reading at any time but it takes an exceptional book to lose yourself in when there’s a pandemic going on. Hostage is an exceptional book to invest time and emotions in. Set on a non stop flight from London to Sydney involving Mina a member of the cabin crew who gets involved in an impossible situation of saving her child or a plane full of people we are treated to a non stop thriller

I absolutely hated this book and though I could list all the reasons why in this review, I'm afraid it would have too many spoilers that would anger fans and potential readers. It may seem premature to label a book one of the top reads of the year in early March - yet I have no qualms in doing so here. Mina and Adam’s marriage has hit a really bad patch, and Mina isn’t sure it will survive, doesn’t know if she even wants it to. Her 5 year old adopted daughter Sophia, is also a challenge, and quite honestly, life isn’t looking too great, but things are about to take a further nosedive, when Mina receives an anonymous note onboard from a passenger, telling her that he/she will ensure that the inaugural flight never reaches its destination, and furthermore, that Mina will help them to carry out their threat - or else her family will pay! A propulsive read-HOSTAGE will have you questioning 'what would you do?' at every turn." - Karin Slaughter This book is brilliant, Mina is interesting, Adam is someone I want to dislike but I just dont and as for their daughter Sophia - whilst I can appriciate her behavious is maddening she is just brilliant.Tensions high from what's happening on board to what is going happen next, gripping, tense, nail biting, powerful and fast paced, strong characters.

Mina is a flight attendant living separated from her police officer husband, Adam. They both have secrets but they have a strong enough relationship that they can amicably share custody of their young daughter in the family home. Mina is part of the flight crew working on a record breaking 20 hour non-stop flight which is the first time for any airline. Soon after the flight takes off, Mina receives an anonymous note from a passenger and it becomes evident there is a scheme on board the flight that Mina is caught in the middle of. The atmosphere on board the inaugural non-stop flight from London to Sydney is electric. Numerous celebrities are rumoured to be among the passengers in business class and journalists will be waiting on the ground to greet the plane. One of the best books I have read in a long time, I highly recommend Hostage if you like a fast paced thriller with wonderful twists and turns and a stinger in its tail! It would be fabulous if Hostage could be made into a film or tv drama - it’s the kind of book that would translate brilliantly!

That’s the choice before Mina, a flight attendant. In an attempt to avoid marital conflict and get a break from domestic troubles, Mina volunteers to work the inaugural twenty-hour long-haul flight from London to Sydney.

Whew! What a roller coaster ride which had me holding on to my arm rest, anxiety riddled and fully entertained. As you can tell by the title HOSTAGE it’s plain but not at all simple and straightforward as to why or how this hostage takes place. It soon unravels though.I sat up to the small hours reading this because I didn’t want to put it down, the tension escalating with each chapter. What I didn't like is the audiobook! The publisher needs more than one narrator if the reader has one voice a.k.a NO VOICE TALENT. She shouldn't be cast for a multiple POVs story. I totally thought this is a LGBTQ couple and Mina calls her partner husband (yea Adam), but no wait...they were trying to have a baby so must be a he. Forget trying to differentiate any of the passengers. I didn't even try. Nine-year-old Sophia sounds just like mum and dad...what da hell...? It was also really effective having short chapters interspersed from the perspectives of passengers on the flight. I enjoyed getting to see their differing reasons for being on the flight and the experiences they have each had in their lives. They had such a clever relevance as the story developed too which I loved. I also liked getting to learn about other passengers from Mina’s interactions with them throughout the flight. Hope for the best, they tell you, but prepare for the worst. Stress was a fish bone lodged in my throat and for months I breathed shallow and fearful, as though I might choke. I still get that feeling now, triggered by a photograph, a memory, a hospital corridor. The boys were breathing, feeding, putting on weight. They wouldn’t be home by Christmas, but perhaps soon after

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment