276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Tao Te Ching: An Illustrated Journey

£7.495£14.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Minford, John (2018). Tao Te Ching: The Essential Translation of the Ancient Chinese Book of the Tao. New York: Viking Press. pp.ix–x. ISBN 978-0-670-02498-8. Ellwood, Robert S. (2008). The Encyclopedia of World Religions. Infobase Publishing. p.262. ISBN 978-1-4381-1038-7. Compiled and adapted from the Chuang-tzu and the Chung Yung, with commentaries The Penguin Press 2009

Things change before our very eyes, whether our eyes are open or shut. A butterfly becomes a man, a man becomes a question mark, a question mark becomes a winged creature, carefree, doing whatever it likes. Thus identity melts away, and we are left with something more valuable: a self—a non-self—that includes it all. Kirkland, Russell (1997). "The Taoism of the Western Imagination and the Taoism of China: De-Colonizing the Exotic Teachings of the East" (PDF). University of Tennessee. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2 January 2007. The first biographical reference to Laozi is in the Records of the Grand Historian, [24] by Chinese historian Sima Qian ( c. 145–86 BC), which combines three stories. [25] In the first, Laozi was a contemporary of Confucius (551–479 BC). His surname was Li ( 李), and his personal name was Er ( 耳) or Dan ( 聃). He was an official in the imperial archives, and wrote a book in two parts before departing to the West; at the request of the keeper of the Han-ku Pass, Yinxi, Laozi composed the Tao Te Ching. In the second story, Laozi, also a contemporary of Confucius, was Lao Laizi ( 老莱子), who wrote a book in 15 parts. Third, Laozi was the grand historian and astrologer Lao Dan ( 老聃), who lived during the reign of Duke Xian of Qin ( 秦獻公, r. 384–362 BC). Dropping Ashes on the Buddha: The Teaching of Zen Master Seung Sahn, Grove Press, 1976, ISBN 0-8021-3052-6Tao Te Ching: A New English Version, translated by Mitchell, Stephen, New York: HarperCollins, 1988, ISBN 978-0-06-180739-8 .

Mendelsohn, Daniel (October 8, 2013). "What Do You Look for in Modern Translation?". The New York Times. Klaus, Hilmar (2008). Das Tao der Weisheit. Laozi-Daodejing (in German and English). Aachen: Mainz. 140 p. bibliogr., 548 p. {{ cite book}}: CS1 maint: postscript ( link)The title "Daodejing", with its status as a classic, was only first applied from the reign of Emperor Jing of Han (157–141 BC) onward. [20] Other titles of the work include the honorific " Sutra (or "Perfect Scripture") of the Way and Its Power" ( Daode Zhenjing) and the descriptive "5,000- Character Classic" ( Wuqian Wen).

Of course, the nothing is out of the question as well, since there’s already a word for it. Not one? Not nothing? This leaves you in an ideal position: speechless, delighted, and ready to say the most nonsensical things, if only they make sense. Damascene, Hieromonk; Lou Shibai; You-Shan Tang (1999). Christ the Eternal Tao. Platina, CA: Saint Herman Press. Three-quarters of the Tao Te Ching rhymes, "according to...reconstructed phonetic values of Ancient Chinese." [26] Mitchell pointed me to the doorway through which I've found whatever peace and spirituality I now have. Which isn't to say that his works are religious. They are philosophical, pragmatic, minimalist, pure, and delightful, but not religious.The Lay of the Love and Death of Cornet Christoph Rilke by Rainer Maria Rilke, Graywolf Press, 1985, ISBN 0-910457-02-6 He doesn't know it, but Mitchell is my long-distance guru. I've benefited from his two Tao-related texts as well as from his The Gospel According to Jesus. I've benefited from the works of Byron Katie, his wife, with whom he co-wrote Loving What Is and A Thousand Names for Joy. And I've benefited from books he recommended: Self-Realization: Life & Teachings of Sri Ramana Maharshi and Spinoza's Ethics.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment