276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Bridges Of Madison County

£4.495£8.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

I wouldn't disparage anyone who DOES like this book, obviously, but to say it wasn't my cup of tea would be...WILDLY kind. How to describe the experience? Let's see. It's like eating a Twinkie, which is bad enough, but let's say that particular Twinkie got deep fried in the shrimp basket. The Bridges of Madison County is set up as being told in the present day as a true story about the past. Two adult siblings ask the author to investigate and write about their deceased mother’s love affair. This is the story presented: One man.One Woman.The sultry heat of an Iowa summer.And the brief encounter whose all-encompassing passion will last a lifetime." Ebert, Roger (June 2, 1995). "The Bridges of Madison County". Chicago Sun-Times . Retrieved September 10, 2018.

The Bridges Of Madison County - Penguin Books UK

The narration is simple, poetic yet effective and incandescent. Each sentence is carefully worded and you cannot help notice some symbolisms. By design, Waller knew what he wanted: a simple yet heartfelt love story maybe to differentiate his work from the horrors of Stephen King, courtroom dramas of John Grisham or the espionage adventures of Robert Ludlum. One can likened The Bridges of Madison County to the description of the tune Robert's friend composed for him after Robert told him Francesca's story: I wanted to keep it simple, elegant. Complex things are easy to do. Simplicity's the real challenge. A friend sent me a copy a kajillion years ago, so I dutifully read it. I still adore the friend, and have liked plenty of other books she recommended, but I was actually ANGRY with her for WEEKS for causing me to have read this book. This was my all-time "worst book I ever read (to the end)" until I read "The Devil Wears Prada." I want a love like this, but one that can happen. Not one tainted with already present responsibilities. Ie: I am NOT supporting adultery, I banish the thought. She should have divorced and moved on-- be brave if true love finds you. Thereafter, the narrator locates a musician friend of Robert’s, who says that Robert had told him of their love affair, and he composed a musical piece for Robert about it, which Robert loved to listen to in the months prior to his death. Many readers saw his portrayal of Francesca as submissive and undeveloped beyond her roles as a wife and mother. Meanwhile, his portrayal of Robert as “the last great cowboy” can be said to be an old-fashioned portrayal of masculinity.Though neither of us was aware of the other before we met, there was a kind of mindless certainty humming blithely beneath our ignorance that ensured we would come together.” Staff. "Just the Winners, Please: Who Won the 68th Annual Tony Awards" Archived 2014-06-09 at archive.today playbill.com, June 8, 2014

The Bridges of Madison County - Wikipedia

This book was laughable. Francesca is a housewife living in Iowa where no one--not her children, her husband or her neighbors--see her for the beautiful, fascinating worldly woman she is. Until that fateful day when Robert Kinkaid, a handsome, fascinating worldly man shows up on her doorstep asking for directions. And talk about great timing! Her husband and teen-aged children just happen to be out of town for the next four days. How convenient. I read that book in a day, I couldn't put it down. It was probably one of the greatest works I have ever read and possibly will ever read. Waller had previously written a song about the dreams of a woman called Francesca. Sometime later, he was photographing bridges, and put the two together. He said he wrote the book in eleven days.I don’t get why a photographer, albeit a “ shamanlike” free spirit, sees himself as “ one of the last cowboys”, devoted to “ the old ways”, let alone why it was such a big deal.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment