276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Monument Maker

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

From there we move to Africa, to Edinburgh... and this is only the beginning. But it is clear from the start that, despite the great detail, Keenan is not primarily concerned with people or place. There’s something else going on. The prose often reads like a stream of consciousness with a dreamlike quality that can be deceptive, and Keenan’s uncommon way with grammar and punctuation are an important part of the process. Great care has clearly been taken with every single comma and clause as it takes great skill to make writing seem this effortless. David Keenan is pushing boundaries and pushing readers, but no more than he does himself. A towering achievement. I intend that this book should be as a mausoleum for the two of us, and the state of our bodies, guesswork, now, buried, still entwined in each other, our very bones confused, our skulls fused in some unimaginable cataclysmic attempt at ultimate union, which is what sculpture is, which is what these language marks, carved into white by a pressure in my brain that I know can only find release in the idea of being caught up in something eternal …” WENDY ERSKINE Prepare for a reading experience like no other. Visionary and prismatic, gloriously hallucinatory although grounded in the material, Monument Maker's grand sweep takes in distant historical subterrains, a shimmering summer of the present, the transient, the eternal, the profane, the divine. David Keenan is a blazing, deviant, fearless force and just a total one-off

I love the Lincoln Memorial. I love the walk up to it beside the Reflecting Pool. I love the pearly steps and the magnitude. I love looking out from the top, seeing the Washington Monument, a full panorama of the National Mall, and the Capitol beyond. It's one of my favorite destinations in D.C. Yet until this book, I had never heard of Daniel Chester French, the man who made Lincoln larger than life.

If you do nothing, you will be auto-enrolled in our premium digital monthly subscription plan and retain complete access for 65 € per month. This book is absolutely fantastic and essentially beyond my powers of description. Although there is a lot I can say about it, this book’s great value is bound up in the experience of reading it. In my view, Keenan is phenomenally successful in his stated (paraphrased) aim to create a space and/or narrative that is outside of time or something that is not/not of oneself. There wasn’t a single time, in the week that I devoured this book, where I did not very actively look forward to my next frolic through Keenan’s clouds and meadows of language. Daniel Chester French, one of the most prolific and acclaimed American sculptors of the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, is best known for his design of the monumental statue of Abraham Lincoln in the Lincoln Memorial, Washington, DC.

The IdeaBook’s collection of customized gravestones, monuments, and tombstone designs includes images that depict the most essential interests, beliefs, connections, and work to represent what departed loved ones were most passionate about. IdeaBook images feature themes that convey aspects deeply related to the history of the departed, including: Keenan makes his writing sound like spiritual visions expressed through acts of literary exorcism; William Blake meets Linda Blair. Such was his all consuming obsession with his book it put his mental health in danger. LENNY KAYE In a dizzying gyroscopic vortex of inner archeology, David Keenan sifts through spiraling past lives to unearth his provocative vision of the future. A colossus of imagination Written over the course of 10 years, MONUMENT MAKER represents the apex of Keenan's project to create books that contain uncanny life and feel like living organisms. It is a meditation on art and religion, and on what it means to make monument; this great longing for something eternal, something that could fix moments in time, forever.

David Keenan is pushing boundaries, and pushing readers, in his towering new novel Monument Maker

Arranging for a memorial is a difficult task. The emotions of saying goodbye to departed family members, partners, friends, and loved ones are made harder by the decisions we have to make on how to commemorate them for future generations. Biography buffs, artists-in-the-making, and New Englanders will especially enjoy Monument Maker, but I encourage any readers to not overlook this hidden gem. Military or patriotic symbols. Flags, armed forces symbols, military planes, and other patriotic icons.

THE SCOTSMAN Keenan is the kind of writer who can look forward to being lovingly over-interpreted into perpetuity This book tells the story of Dan French who was the sculptor that created the Lincoln Memorial. The book starts with Dan as a small child and how he struggles to find what he wants to do growing up. When he finally discovers his love for art and sculpting he begins studying different styles and artists to help him grow his talent. The book also talks about how the Lincoln Memorial was created. At the end of the book, there is a timeline and other resources about Dan French. The hi-energy gonzo-ness of his writing suggests an author fuelled by stimulants when he sits down to write. I imagine Keenan in his study reaching for the whisky, the opium pipe, and heaven knows what to a blast of full volume trash-metal and Wagner. You may also opt to downgrade to Standard Digital, a robust journalistic offering that fulfils many user’s needs. Compare Standard and Premium Digital here. Look for beauty, not ugliness. Look for goodness, not evil. Look for cheer, not trouble.--Dan Chester French

Specific design elements on headstones can convey different ideas and suggestions about the lives they honor. Shapes that follow traditional construction styles can represent modesty, strength or common values. Alternate tombstone designs can support other, more personal meanings, like individuality, diversity, or unique ideas. Rustic and boulder. Headstones cut to have a “natural,” rough finish around the edges, resembling stone or a boulder. Monument Maker is also a riveting meditation on music, religion and art. Rembrandt is called the creator of the loneliest paintings in the history of art because they are suffused by the shadow of death but none of its lighting. Francisco Goya’s The Third of May 1808 in Madrid is astutely said to be lit by an impossible moon. It presents a highly accessible challenge for the reader in rewarding rerereading of separate sections and individual books. Keenan revels in producing highly innovative literary fiction that is also wonderfully entertaining.

The short answer is he didn’t. It was the voices in his head that wrote it. And I don’t mean the voices of the writer’s imagination; we’re talking other worldly voices. Supernatural stuff. He hears dead people.Standard monuments. Traditional and vintage grave marker designs as seen in cemeteries all over the world, in a wide range of alternative shapes and cuts. Gravestones with angled, curved or special cuts reflecting more diverse, less conventional design elements. A book within a book within a book, a meditation on art and religion, and on what it means to make monuments. A hallucinatory epic and a forward-looking history of the world, Monument Maker was written over the course of ten years and represents the apex of Keenan’s project to create books that are themselves teeming with organic life.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment