276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Glow (The Plated Prisoner Series Book 4)

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

I received this book for free from Publisher (via Netgalley) in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review. Read this review and more on my blog. The Book Return Blog I love historical fiction but I have found that just plain historical fiction can be a bit dry. I really enjoy historical-fiction novels that switch between past and present points of view. When this done well, the past and present POV weave together two seemingly unrelated storylines that come together seamlessly.

Little Glow by Katie Sahota (9781913339241/Hardback Little Glow by Katie Sahota (9781913339241/Hardback

Meanwhile, Lydia's chapters are told in letter format to her sweetheart Walter, away at war. She's a painter as well, and works to support the war effort at a watch-face painting factory (did you know there was such a thing? I didn't.) The girls there are glad for the job, but mysteriously, begin to fall ill, and it's not pretty what happens to them. Lydia begins to suspect that somehow, the glowing material they use for the watch paint is connected. The three sisters Liza, Lydia, and Charlotte Grayson who were employed to paint the dials of wrist watches for men of the front line in the First World War. No one has any knowledge of the horror, misery and suffering that will be brought about by exposure to the wondrous new element radium. The local girls all want to work at the radium factory, it pays well and they enjoy the work but gradually L.G realises that all is not well and starts to express her fears secretly in her remarkable paintings. There are such poignant letters sent to a lover who is fighting somewhere abroad, he is someone to confide in, someone to whom the writer can express her dreadful fears.I have a love hate relationship with Glow, an upcoming young adult novel from Megan E. Bryant. Earlier this year, I read The Radium Girls by Kate Moore - an absolutely horrifying account of injustices committed against young women under the guise of patriotism. Before Moore, I cannot recall ever hearing about the dial painters. This book provides a fictional account based heavily on true stories about the girls that met their untimely demise.

Eat. Nourish. Glow.: 10 easy steps for losing weight, looking Eat. Nourish. Glow.: 10 easy steps for losing weight, looking

Glow's present POV is told from the first person perspective of Julie. Julie is a high school senior who is hoping to go to art school. Her future becomes marred due to family issues. Julie becomes fascinated with paintings she finds in a thrift store. She is then pulled into the search for the artist and the paintings past. I have burned down the court of King Midas and from those flames, I will rise and wield my own power. This is not a YA book to be handed to a young child lightly. It is quite horrifying what these women were subject to. The way they were treated, dismissed and intentionally (by all accounts) poisoned. I would say if you wouldn't be comfortable giving a potential reader Night by Elie Wiesel, then I would also withhold Glow. While Night is far more horrific based how humans are treated (and certainly that there are so many humans affected), I could see Glow being just as upsetting to a young teen. Books based on true stories are always a bit intense. When you're no longer creating every detail and the events or type of events that happen are based on real people then the suffering, pains and emotions felt by the characters in the story are more difficult to take.

Even though a couple small areas were bothersome, this is an extremely important story to write, to read, and to share. Glow is an incredible story that sheds light on the hideous greed of some companies who put profit above health, giving opportunity for brave people to sacrifice, and fight for what's right. It was fascinating to learn about this true and tragic event that happened in my home state of New Jersey. I thought that alternating between the past and present was an innovative idea that kept me in suspense and made me want to read more. I thoroughly enjoyed reading Glow and recommend reading this book especially if you enjoy historical fiction and don’t mind a little bit of present day action mixed in. There are some parts that can be disturbing and mature so young or squeamish readers should not read this novel. But with Slade by my side we will fight the monarchs that come for us. And if we need to become the villains, then so be it.

GlasGLOW at Glasgow Botanic Gardens, Glasgow West End | What GlasGLOW at Glasgow Botanic Gardens, Glasgow West End | What

The characters are strong and relatable. Lydia is easily recognizable as a loving sibling. She is strong, determined and courageous. The emotional roller coaster that her character brings to the reader is noteworthy. Julie, in present time, is a fun character who moves the story along with investigations and a side romance. Her drive to figure out the glow-in-the-dark paint gets her in trouble and at the end of the book I had to take deep breaths. The first ever GlasGLOW Relaxed Session will take place on Thurs 2nd November at 5pm giving anyone with sensory difficulties the chance to enjoy a quieter GlasGLOW experience with reduced capacities and a lower sound level.This glimmering, gorgeous book is a gentle story that showcases the amazing celebrations of light across different communities. It is truly a diverse and inclusive book. As well as highlighting many important religious and culture events (without specifically naming any of them), it also includes mixed race families, same-sex parents, children with disabilities, and a range of body sizes. In the past, we learn the story of three sisters, Liza, Lydia, and Charlotte Grayson. Liza is able to get her younger sister Lydia a job as a watch dial painter at the factory where she works. The job entails tipping a paintbrush between your teeth to paint the delicate numbers on watch faces for soldiers off at war. The girls working at the factory use the glow-in-the-dark paint to paint on body jewelry, decorate their teeth, even paint their walls. In all, Glow is an amazing and thought provoking story. Throughout the story, it's easy to feel the pain, the hope, and most importantly, the love these characters posses. If you love science and brave female characters, you simply must add this to your TBR!

Glow - Penguin Books UK

Julie's story is one that while realistic, also got rather annoying at times with how she placed the blame for her choices on others instead of choosing to go to a different school while she saved to go to her dream one. I also really disliked how she treated Lauren, I get it you don't have money anymore, but instead of just pouting all the time, find cheap things to do etc., don't just shut your best friend out and then wonder why they don't come around. As you can probably tell I got pretty frustrated with Julie for most of the book. The ending did redeem her a little bit. I'm struggling with how to rate this book. On one hand, I enjoyed it and flew through it, even though I'd already read one of the books in the bibliography and knew exactly what was causing the mysterious illnesses at the factory from the very start. The story was compelling.

From the window of a cosy house in a seaside town, a lonely little candle looks out onto the world. Throughout the year, the small flame watches on as families use different kinds of light to celebrate Lunar New Year, Diwali, Hanukkah, Ramadan, Halloween and Christmas. This book is told in two parts, present and the past. In the present, artist Julie discovers some old paintings in a thrift store that glow-in-the-dark. In the daylight, the pictures are normal, but when they glow they portray disturbing and gruesome images. Wanting to know more, Julie begins hunting through thrift stores for additional paintings. Her artistic love leads her on a journey to recreate the type of glow-in-the-dark paint the original artist used, but despite Julie's best efforts she is unable to duplicate the results. I received an advanced copy in exchange for my honest, unbiased opinion. Thank you Brandi from Flutter Communications, the publisher, author, and NetGalley, for allowing me to review. Although this is a young adult book I feel that it should be aimed at the older teenager, as the story unfolds we come face to face with the horrific effects of exposure to radium. As it turns out, Glow was a stellar read! Beautifully blending together historical accuracy and two girls's coming-of-ages, Glow was a book I easily devoured in one extra-long sitting.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment