276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Call The Midwife: A True Story Of The East End In The 1950s

£4.995£9.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

I loved Trixie, she had such a strong and endearing personality. I especially loved her no nonsense attitude and her refusal to pander or listen to anyone else's rubbish… She made a change from the usual doormats in literature. This is the last book in the trilogy which has been developed by the BBC into the television show “Call the Midwife”. This book more closely resembles the first one, with an emphasis on stories about the nurses and the nuns of Nonnatus House, who delivered thousands of babies in the slums of London’s East End in the 1950’s. Born 25 September 1935 in Clacton on Sea, Jennifer Worth was raised in Amersham before moving to Poplar aged 22 to train as a nurse. It's reported that she chose Poplar because she wanted a challenge.

The second series opened with a record overnight audience of 9.3 million UK viewers, [52] going on to achieve a consolidated series average of 10.47 million viewers. [32] This was almost 2 million above the slot average, and by some distance the most popular UK drama in every week of transmission. [53] When viewing figures from BBC's iPlayer video streaming service and a narrative repeat were included as part of the BBC Live Plus 7 metric, [54] the total number of viewers per week was found to be almost 12 million. [55]

The midwives that Jennifer trained and worked with were mostly nuns. Some were peaceful, some were fierce. One nun, Sister Monica Joan, was very elderly and becoming senile, retired in Nonnatus House, where the nuns lived and operated. There were several funny anecdotes about her—at least they are funny now as they are read, I'm sure they were incredibly frustrating at the time!

She marries a Scottish man called Philip Worth. Philip was staying with his pregnant cousin Jeanette who was a patient of Jenny’s. He was an artist. They would leave Popular together and marry. They have two daughters together, Susannah and Juliette. Philip suggests Jenny should write a memoir about her experiences. Call the Midwife (First book in the Midwife trilogy) Worth, Jennifer (September 2012). Call the Midwife: A True Story of the East End in the 1950s. Orion Publishing Group, Limited. ISBN 978-0297868781. (2002) I have lovely memories of Sister Julienne,” Worth's daughter Suzannah Hart told RadioTimes in 2017. “Sister Julienne would write letters to me and [her sister] Juliette, with little stories and beautiful illustrations down the side in felt pen or watercolour. She’d come and visit us too, and towards the end of her life, by which time the community had moved to Birmingham, my mother would visit her every week.”Compton, D.G (2012). "Book review: In the Midst of Life". Dignity in Dying. Archived from the original on 11 April 2012 . Retrieved 23 January 2012. Call the Midwife creator 'not bored' after six series". The Guardian. ISSN 0261-3077 . Retrieved 22 February 2017. Worth, Jennifer (2007). Eczema and Food Allergy: The Hidden Cause?: My Story. Merton Books. ISBN 978-1872560182.

Worth, Jennifer (6 January 2005). "A midwife responds to Mike Leigh's Vera Drake". The Guardian. London. ISSN 0261-3077. OCLC 60623878 . Retrieved 23 January 2012. This was a wonderful memoir of a young woman's new life into the midwifery world. It is quite candid in its approach to midwifery, the struggles of women (mostly the poor), and dawn of modern medicine. It is hard to believe that there were never maternity wards in hospitals until the 1950's. BBC announces two further series of award-winning drama Call The Midwife". BBC Media Centre. 13 April 2021 . Retrieved 13 April 2021. There are also lively stories of Sister Monica Joan, who discovered the joys of taking a cab ride instead of the bus, and we learn about the woman who ran the local pub. The end of the book discusses how the neighborhood changed in the 1960s, and why the midwives and nuns eventually closed their practice.While I enjoyed the insight into the lives of several midwives during the 1950s, I was disappointed that there were so many inappropriate things in this book. Nudity, expletives, crude talk, graphic sexual content, alcohol, tobacco usage, etc. really dampened my enjoyment of this book. I also didn't appreciate that the author believed older women should be allowed to be crass and rude simply because they'd lived a long life. Since when does longevity grant anyone the right to belittle or degrade other people? In Titus 2, older women are advised to "be reverent in behavior... that the word of God may not be blasphemed." Yet in all probability it will be as a major historical document that her trilogy enjoys its most enduring reputation. By the late 1950s slum clearance and comprehensive redevelopment were starting to transform large parts (including Poplar) of the East End, far more effectively than the Luftwaffe had ever managed; and by the end of the 1960s they were almost wholly unrecognisable from the intimate, squalid, overcrowded, intensely human environment that had sprung up during the 19th century and then stayed largely unchanged. On 11 February 2013, Ben Stephenson, BBC Controller for Drama, announced that he had commissioned a 2013 Christmas special, and a third series of eight episodes to be broadcast in 2014. [10] The fourth series aired in the US in 2015, finishing its eight-episode run on 17 May. [11] A Christmas special also aired in 2015. Worth asks, “What woman worthy of the name Mother would stand on a high moral platform about selling her body if her child were dying of hunger and exposure? Not I” (p. 162). Is it biology or psychology that drives women to extreme measures to protect their children while fathers often deny either paternity or their paternal responsibilities? There was a particularly fascinating (and disturbing) section on prostitution in the area, which Worth had to deal with when she befriended a young girl who had been lured into a brothel. Worth also mentions the horrible workhouses in London, which she learned about while caring for a traumatized patient who had lived there for decades. When Worth asked an older nun about the workhouses, she was told: "Humph. You young girls know nothing of recent history. You've had it too easy, that's your trouble." I think Worth's later memoirs talk more about this, so I expect to hear many more horror stories.

Shadows of the Workhouse (Jennifer Worth, RN RM, first published in 2005 by Merton Books. Republished in 2009 by Phoenix/Orion). I regret that I have not been able to get to know the men of the East End. But it is quite impossible. I belong to the women's world, to the taboo subject of childbirth. The men are polite and respectful to us midwives, but completely withdrawn from any familiarity, let alone friendship. There is a total divide between what is called men's work and women's work. So, like Jane Austen, who in her writing never recorded a conversation between two men alone, because as a woman she could not know what exclusively male conversation would be like, I cannot record much about the men of Poplar, beyond superficial observation."There was no law, no lighting, bedbugs and fleas", she recalls. "It was a hidden place, not written about at all." Worth, Jennifer (2009). Farewell to the East End. Phoenix. ISBN 978-0753823064. (Third book in the Midwife trilogy) By 1974 she was teaching piano and singing at the London College of Music, performing throughout Britain and Europe. Writing her memoirs Sister Monica Joan was meaner than I expected, she was actually kind of a bully to Sister Evangeline. In the tv show she's far more lovable and everything she says and does seems harmless, in this she was horrible.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment