276°
Posted 20 hours ago

LEGO The Lord of the Rings: Gimli Minifigure

£18.06£36.12Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

I think minifigure designs took an enormous step forward around 2011 and 2012, becoming far more intricate and more focused on accuracy to any source material. However, this comparison shows another interesting update since then. The use of dual-moulded parts was inevitable, but the simpler torsos seemingly reflect a conscious change in style. Anubis Guard • Charlie the Funland Robot • Dada-Doo • Daphne • Fred • Mummy • Mumsy-Doo • Scooby-Doo • Shaggy • Velma Adventure Core • Animal King Turret • Atlas • Cake Core • Cave Johnson • Chell • Doug Rattmann • Frankenturret • GLaDOS • Mantis Man • P-Body • Sentry Turret • Space Core • Wheatley Beorn \ Cave Troll \ Gollum \ Great Eagle \ Gwaihir \ King of the Dead \ Mirkwood Spider \ Shelob \ Soldier of the Dead \ Smaug \ Treebeard \ Warg

Boromir's minifigure has undergone a surprising degree of change since 2012, despite featuring the same attire. Once again, the torso design is visibly simplified, while the legs are now entirely dark blue. I understand the reasoning behind the original dark bluish grey section, but prefer the uniform colour.Around the base of the tower, and in the gallery, looking over the shards of Narsil, we have a number of statues, presumably of elven heroes from the past. They are not specifically identified. They all have the same torso, a double-sided head and either straight or wavy hair. There are 3 figures with regular legs, and three with the miniskirt. Aragorn is solid, although the arms are clearly gray in the movie not nougat. Not a big deal though because I do think the colors blend very nicely on the minifigure I'm just gonna copy and paste what I wrote on the Rivendell announcement article, where I did my own comparisons based on the pictures:

PurpleDave Using a Sharpie to recolour LEGO is very much a case of the lesser of two evils. While I will just about consider it for elf ears and a bit of decolletage, larger areas are more than I feel comfortable with. After relinquishing the ring, Bilbo was 144 years old. The lines on his face betray his age. Bilbo is portrayed in a tan west, with a white shirt. I feel there is inadequate contrast between his feet and the tan of his legs. On the reverse of his head, there are signs that he still longs for the Ring. The dual moulded legs that he sports were initially used for Dobby the house-elf in Harry Potter collectable minifigures in 2018. The stubble and beard is well suited to the character’s appearance in the movie. He has a wry smile and a slightly angry look. Again, the older expressions are more aggressive than the new ones. The new Ranger Sword is longer than the old longsword, and has a more detailed mould for the blade, cross piece, handle and pommel! The older figure had tan legs, with a grey tunic. The top end of the Evenstar jewel that was given to Aragorn by Arwen can be seen hanging beneath his shirt. Both of these figures are excellent, but the one included in Rivendell is more appropriate for the setting. The Statues Minifigures: x1 Aragorn, x1 Gimli, x1 King of the Dead, x1 Legolas, x1 Moridor Orc (bald), x1 Moridor Orc (bald with armor), x1 Pirate of Umbar, x2 Soldier of the Dead (two variations)Aragorn \ Bain \ Bard \ Boromir \ Corsair Pirate \ Gríma Wormtongue \ Éomer \ King Théoden \ Lake-town Guard \ Master of Lake-town \ Rohan Soldier Gimli was arguably the most impressive of the original Fellowship of the Ring minifigures, given the exceptional decoration on his helmet and the complexity of his beard. I am surprised that the older helmet has been replaced, although the new piece looks fantastic too. The beards differ as well, but the most significant change is the use of medium legs, of course. In The Lord of the Rings trilogy, Gimli is portrayed by John Rhys-Davies who also provided the voice of Treebeard. In addition, Davis also played Sallah in the Indiana Jones films and made an uncredited cameo as Glóin in The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring. Aragorn • Boromir • Cave Troll • Citadel Guard • Durin's Bane • Fell Beast • Frodo • Gandalf • Gimli • Gollum • Gothmog • Legolas • Merry • Mordor Orc • Oliphaunt • Olog-hai • Pippin • Sam • Saruman • Sauron • Shelob One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them. Let’s explore all of the LEGO Lord of the Rings sets ever made!

I do feel that while the elven hair element is excellent, I wonder if it is a little overused. The facial lines that defined the cheek-bones of the elves in previous years have gone, and Legolas, the female and male elves and Arwen all have heads that have been previously well-used on regular humans. This is less of an issue for the hobbits. Does it matter? If nothing else, it means that you can now consider almost any general face an elven one. Apu Nahasapeemapetilon • Bart Simpson • Chief Wiggum • Comic Book Guy • Coyote • Edna Krabappel • Grampa Simpson • Groundskeeper Willie • Hans Moleman • Homer Simpson • Itchy • Jebediah Springfield • Julius Hibbert • Krusty the Clown • Lisa Simpson • Maggie Simpson • Marge Simpson • Martin Prince • Mayor Quimby • Milhouse Van Houten • Mr. Burns • Ned Flanders • Nelson Muntz • Principal Skinner • Professor Frink • Rainier Wolfcastle • Ralph Wiggum • Santa's Little Helper • Scratchy • Snake Jailbird • Snowball II • Springfield Nuclear Power Plant Worker • Squeaky Voiced Teen • Waylon Smithers, Jr. Folks have mentioned Gandalf's staff; I can see their point but I'm more wiling to accept the generic piece. To me, the more egregious failing is the continued use of grey for Gandalf's hat! It was specifically described as "blue" in the book and also clearly blue in the movies too, even if it was a more washed-out and faded blue. Sand blue would have been a much more appropriate colour here and would have been a suitable "upgrade" from the original run of Gandalf minifigures. I had wondered if they would opt to use the more detailed wizard hat that was recently introduced; the hat would have been fine but the incorporated hair component would not really have been right for Gandalf so I'm glade the opted to stay away from this as the original wizard hat from the early-'90s works perfectly well here! The differences between the minifigures are interesting, I prefer some aspects of the 2012 figs, and some of the improvements in the new fellowship.

Aragorn

Facial expressions have also become less comical on the whole, while features like cheekbones are de-emphasised. The retention of some features is notable too, as the Hobbits' hairstyles are unchanged and Gandalf remains familiar too, despite the modern robe.

I think I definitely like better the new versions of Boromir, Merry and Pippin; aside from several small details feeling more authentic too, their new expressions also feel to me like they capture the movie portrayals of the characters more accurately. Elrond and Legolas too; I like better that Elrond's crown(?) is printed on his head this time, and while I wasn't convinced by Legolas' new design at first, when comparing the two, I feel like his original minifigure's expression looks uncharacteristically severe and disapproving, so for me the new version works better. The dual-moulded legs definitely improve all the Hobbits, too. The council seating chairs are absolutely brilliant designs using sausages and ice cream pops. They’re all connected in a row because only a few of them align with studs on the base. The pedestal is also a perfect design, made of tan shulker boxes from the Minecraft theme, each nesting inside the next at a 45° angle. So you’ve got two choices. Swap out the legs for solid-color versions, or invest in fine-point yellow Sharpies (the only way you can tag the inseam)." Arwen Evenstar \ Elrond \ Galadriel \ Haldir \ Legolas Greenleaf \ Mirkwood Elf \ Mirkwood Elf Chief \ Mirkwood Elf Guard \ Rivendell Elf \ Rivendell Statues \ Tauriel \ Thranduil

Gimli

The Council of Elrond features columns and Elven archways, a stairway and trees with autumn-colors. Place the One Ring on the podium. Use the launch function to send Gimli flying toward the podium as he attempts to destroy the Ring. Set measures about 5 in high and 9 in wide. 12. The Wizard Battle 79005 On contrast to Boromir, Legolas' costume remains quite similar to the original, albeit with certain updates to the colours. The dual-moulded legs are certainly welcome and I like how the modern hair component extends over his shoulders. Even so, I still think the blonde colour seems rather pale. If there’s one Lord of the Rings set to rule them all, Rivendell is certainly the One! The most ambitious set in the series to date, Rivendell captures the scene and the formation of the legendary Fellowship of the Ring. Members of the group seek to find the Ring of Power and destroy it. Relive the moment all of the key players gather for the first time at the scenic Elvish sanctuary. I would have thought yellow head fans would like the newer ones, as they have removed the flesh printing from the torsos (unlike the older ones). " Balin \ Bifur \ Bofur \ Bombur \ Dain Ironfoot \ Dori \ Dwalin \ Fíli \ Gimli \ Glóin \ Kíli \ Nori \ Óin \ Ori \ Thorin

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment