276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Is This Love or Dopamine?: A deeply unofficial study of dating in the digital age

£7.495£14.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

It can be responsible for painting quite the rosy picture of the object of your affection and helping you avoid negative emotions in some ways while you feel infatuated with this person—be they a coworker, friend, a high school acquaintance, or a new partner. All these things we’ve been talking about – such as adrenaline and dopamine — are quick highs, designed to get us interested. You may feel like you've found your soul mate and like the connection between the two of you is unlike anything else. Iona’s done us all a favour by chronicling online interactions that prove our sneaking suspicion that romance might actually be dead.

Studies show that when people view pictures of their romantic partners, multiple areas of the brain are flooded with dopamine, triggering those euphoric feelings. However, it's normal for the first wave of chemicals that influence love to cool off as a relationship matures to be replaced by neurochemicals that foster attachment and connection. Like dopamine, oxytocin is produced by the hypothalamus and released in large quantities during sex, breastfeeding, and childbirth. Really fun read and i’d highly recommend to anyone looking for a laugh - I think it would also make a lovely gift for any Gen Z friend/anyone on dating apps. The chase aspect of this type of dating can activate a strong rush of dopamine and perhaps sex hormones as well.Because of the brain's neuroplasticity, an association is formed between that pain and the release of euphoric endorphins to make you think they are closely related and necessary.

I also cant handle books with useless footnotes that try to be funny about the authors inner monologue but its just not funny, in fact its cringe.

g. when presented with misogyny, she repeatedly says "I'm not going to explore that in any depth because it's too stressful", which I get, but given the platform she has I think it was maybe an opportunity missed. Dating is the wild west and Iona shows us that when words online are all you've got, they do in fact REALLY MATTER. When a relationship ends, especially if the other party ends it, the brain's levels of dopamine and serotonin are temporarily lowered. With the advent of the internet and dating apps, which have presented us with more options for potential partners than ever before, our reward system has the potential to be sidetracked by every new opportunity.

In other words, this hormone is responsible for activity in the brain’s rewards center—the same brain regions associated with drug addiction. And addicts going into withdrawal are not unlike love-struck people craving the company of someone they cannot see. Some people are hesitant to seek the advice of a therapist regarding their relationship because they're worried it's admitting there's something wrong or it makes them feel vulnerable. With online platforms like BetterHelp, you can book sessions online anytime, anywhere with an internet connection. By completing your purchase, you agree to Audible's Conditions of Use and authorise Audible to charge your designated card or any other card on file.

You should not take any action or avoid taking any action without consulting with a qualified mental health professional. We’re all becoming a lot more emotionally literate now because we’re on TikTok finding out about psychology and feelings and stuff.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment