276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Desert Queen: The Extraordinary Life of Gertrude Bell: Adventurer, Adviser to Kings, Ally of Lawrence of Arabia

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

It took the India Expeditionary Force a long time to take Baghdad. A large force was trapped at a bend in the Tigris River, and the Siege of Kut eventually led to the surrender of 13,000 British and Indian troops, over half of whom died in captivity. When Baghdad was finally taken in 1917, the Arab Bureau set up shop there under the stewardship of Percy Cox, who was another key mentor for Bell. She loved the multicultural mix of this ancient city and made it her home from then until she died in 1926. Despite the discomforts of brutal sun and chilly nights, fleas, scorpions, snakes, and blowing sand, she truly loved the desert. For her it meant escape: Kudos to Janet Wallach for sparing no blushes and giving a very engaging portrait of her, that allows us to see the full picture and the full impact of her actions and beliefs, an impact that that is felt today in the 21st century.

Gertrude Bell, a daughter of wealthy British parents, has no interest in the social life of the London elite. Balls, receptions, and a life of privilege bring her only boredom. Aspiring to some usefulness in her life, Gertrude decides to join her uncle, who occupies a high diplomatic position in Tehran. There the young lady not only encounters the Near East but also falls in love with an embassy employee, Henry Cadogan. However, their romance does not last long as her parents consider the young man a poor matrimonial choice for their daughter and forbid the marriage. Devastated, Henry dies by suicide, unable to renounce his true love. For the remainder of her life Gertrude Bell completely devotes herself to exploring and writing about the Near East and her knowledge of the tribal leaders is used by the British to establish the Kingdoms of Iraq, Jordan and Saudi Arabia. At the Paris peace conference of 1919, she and Lawrence lobbied hard but unsuccessfully to make Faisal a king of Mesopotamia, but they differed over how fast it would take for Britain to relinquish control. While at one point she referred in letters to Lawrence as her “beloved boy”, at another point she tagged him as “an inverted megalomaniac.” After so much focus on deciding the fate of Germany and Ottoman holdings in Europe, the leaders at the conference postponed final decisions on the Arab lands beyond Central Arabia, instead choosing to leave British and French occupation in place and large areas under their temporary administration. It was impossible to sort out the conflicts between the secret Sykes-Picot Agreement between England and France in 1916 and the promises of an independent Arabia from Palestine to Persia made to the Hussein family in 1915. At a powwow called by Churchill in Cairo in 1921, Bell and Lawrence had to accept the outcome that the French were to retain control of much of Greater Syria and Lebanon in exchange for British mandates in Palestine, Jordan, and Mesopotamia. Abdullah Hussein was made king of Jordan and Faisal, recently deposed in Syria, as titular king of Iraq. As oil had been discovered in Mosul, that province with a Kurd majority was added to the new nation. Bell essentially became an advisor to Faisal and worked to persuade various leaders to support him in a referendum of support that was held. AFM 2012: Jude Law Joining Werner Herzog's 'Queen of the Desert' ". The Hollywood Reporter. November 2, 2012 . Retrieved December 2, 2013. ON THE SET FOR 3/10/14: A HOLOGRAM FOR THE KING, STARRING TOM HANKS, STARTS PRODUCTION" . Retrieved April 8, 2014. Bell argued for indigenous governments with British support. “…a British decision to withdraw from Mesopotamia…might lead to disaster: ‘If we leave this country to go to the dogs it will mean we shall have to reconsider our who position in Asia. If Mesopotamia goes, Persia goes inevitably, and then India. And the place which we leave empty will be occupied by seven devils a good deal worse than any which existed before we came.’” Bell’s “domino theory” argued that not being engaged in Mesopotamia would lead inevitably to the end of the British Empire.

To make the St Clement’s jelly, soak the gelatine leaves in cold water for 5 minutes to soften. Using a vegetable peeler, peel 6 strips from a lemon and 6 strips from an orange and put these into a saucepan with the sugar and 400ml/14fl oz water. Bring to a simmer over a medium heat, stirring occasionally until the sugar has dissolved. Remove from the heat and discard the peel. Squeeze the water out of the gelatine and stir into the pan until dissolved then leave to cool. Squeeze the lemons and oranges, so you have 150ml/5fl oz of both lemon and orange juice. Stir into the pan then strain the jelly through a fine sieve into a jug and chill until cool but not set. James Henry Mills in Stourbridge said his pudding of choice would be Eton mess. “Let’s face it, our current political situation is a mess,” said the 77-year-old retiree. “The PM is an Eton boy and Eton tends to churn out our leaders who over the years have made a right mess of things.”

However, Gertrude Bell was a truly amazing person and that saved this book. What a fascinating life she led, in such fascinating times. I loved the second half of the book because it dealt as much with the "drawing lines in the sand" part of organizing the modern Middle East as it did with GB. Melvin, who lives with her long-term partner, James, and their rescue-dog, Bella, said she found out that the Queen had lemon posset at her wedding and decided her pudding had to be based on a lemon flavour. Mills said he is one of the people who remembers the Queen’s coronation but is coming round more to the idea that “she’s becoming increasingly irrelevant”. A random find at the local Goodwill, I had been meaning to read a biography when I saw this book. I wasn't quite sure how interested I would be in Gertrude Bell, but she ended up speaking me to me very clearly.

About

I learned about the transformation of Mesopotamia into the new nation of Iraq. I learned about the transformation of the Middle East as a result of the First World War. I learned about Gertrude Bell. I needed the depth of this book to really understand. I am glad I read this book rather than what I originally sought: Hero: The Life and Legend of Lawrence of Arabia, but which I could not get. The life of Gertrude Bell was for me even more interesting than that of the renowned T. E. Lawrence. She deserves much more recognition than she has been given. Although I enjoyed Dreamers of the Day, this book, Desert Queen: The Extraordinary Life of Gertrude Bell: Adventurer, Adviser to Kings, Ally of Lawrence of Arabia, gives much, much more. There is no comparison between the two even if I have given both four stars. Keep in mind that one is fiction and the other non-fiction! Representative of the Syrian revolution champion standing in front of Nicole Kidman". November 29, 2013 . Retrieved December 2, 2013. Recipes gifted by Fortnum & Mason. Log on to BBC Good Food www.bbc.co.uk/food; Fortnum & Mason www.fortnumandmason.com and The Big Jubilee Lunch www.thebigjubileelunch.comto enjoy for the commemorative weekend and beyond, alongside recipe cards and expert baking tips.

Berlin Review: Werner Herzog's 'Queen Of The Desert' Starring Nicole Kidman, James Franco, Robert Pattinson, And More". Indiewire. February 6, 2015 . Retrieved February 7, 2015. It is completely biased to Bell's point of view. If she says something happened a certain way, then that's the way it happened. We are almost never provided with an alternate opinion. Sometimes, of course, there is literally no other record to go to for another point of view (like when she is kidnapped by Bedouin in the Empty Quarter), but still. Melvin, who has baked since the age of six, said she was inspired by her gran and her nan. “My gran is with us but sadly my nan is not, they are both extremely important to me. My gran taught me how to bake but my nan’s signature dish was a trifle. A wonderful, poised lady, just like our queen, she used to make a wonderful trifle, but hers was laced with sherry and decorated with kiwifruit and flaked chocolate but this trifle is elevated and fit for the Queen herself.”The wife of Prince Harry likes to treat herself to a tasty dessert sometimes too and previously shared the recipe for one her favourites – chocolate petit gateaux – on her now-closed lifestyle blog The Tig. Robert Pattinson begins filming 'Queen of the Desert' in Morocco next month" . Retrieved December 2, 2013. a b c d " 'Homeland's Damian Lewis To Star With Nicole Kidman In 'Queen Of The Desert' ". deadline.com. October 21, 2013 . Retrieved December 2, 2013. Queen of the Desert (2016)". The Numbers. Nash Information Services, LLC . Retrieved July 18, 2016.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment