276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Legacies

£7.59£15.18Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

After a devastating car accident takes away 15 year old Spirit White's family and a fire destroys her home while she's in the hospital recovering, the mysterious Oakhurst Academy steps in and welcomes her into their fold. Apparently one of her parents once went to school there, therefore she is a so called legacy, and is also a powerful magician, which isn't necessarily news Spirit wants to hear right now. Each season of Legacies has built upon the previous one, delving deeper into the characters’ personal journeys and expanding the show’s mythology. From the introduction of ancient creatures known as Malivore monsters to the rise of new supernatural threats, the series continues to evolve and captivate viewers with its gripping storylines. Just because they’re keeping it a secret?” Addie had demanded indignantly, and Loch had replied: “Yeah. Think about it. We’ve got a Chess Club, a Tennis Club, a swim team, a Kendo Club, and every other kind of club and team I can think of here at Oakhurst. If there were an Honors Society for wizards-a legitimate one-don’t you think they’d tell us about that, too? If only so we could fight over who got in?”

JULIE PLEC: First of all, it is my hope and desire that The Originals lives on [for] many more seasons to come, precisely for those kinds of opportunities, that we can take this world that we have developed, with the Mikaelson family, and occasionally have a little drive-by or a repopulation with these characters that we love. I'm not going to say anything about how this season ends, or the series ends, but there is definitely opportunity for that moving forward.The Legacies is a twisty YA thriller that strikes an addictive balance between glitz and darkness. Think The Inheritance Games meets Gossip Girl with a dash of Euphoria. Goodman introduces us to the Legacy Club, a secret society for New York's richest elite. Every year, prospective members are tapped for an initiation week culminating in the glamorous Legacy Ball. Most new members are shoe-ins, children of existing Legacies and powerful families. But this year, the nomination of scholarship student Tori Tasso threatens to expose the dangerous secrets protected by the Club's elite, and not everyone will make it out alive... Wish fulfillment – this is one element of Legacies that brought me out of the story over and over again. I understand, the place is luxurious and they’re given everything. However, the time spent describing consumer items would be better spent on the actual setting (and would alleviate a lot of confusion in the story world). The practice sessions with Burke might as well not even have happened for all that the author didn’t even tell us what happened. Ex. Spirit groaned theatrically, shaking her head, and stepped toward him on the practice mat again. You agree that 'rich people doing shady shit get exactly what they deserve' is a genre (and a very entertaining one) Six seniors from the prestigious Excelsior school are tapped to join THE LEGACIES. The best, brightest and most talented. Future leaders, judges, politicians, award winning artists. Many of their hotshot parents belong. Bernie, her best friend Isobel, their boyfriends and scholarship student Tori are among the new members. THE LEGACIES have secrets. Their parents have bigger ones.

Another thing that constantly grabbed attention away from the action was the mishandling of cultural references and teen communication. Technology use didn’t fit the age group, the IM speak was horrific, and there was an Anna Nicole Simpson reference. That’s almost too old for me, and I’m 27 (not the target market). Mess.The first season follows the events from February 25, 2028 til April 19, 2028, the second season follows the events from June 2028 til March 2029 and the third and fourth seasons follow the events of that spring. Another thing I do want to point out is that this book suffered from some weird assumptions and editing mistakes. Assumption-wise, I’m referring largely to a throw-away scene in which a character talks about creating holy water, and how it’s easy to make because really it just involves water being blessed by a believer. And Spirit’s thoughts essentially go, “Huh, I didn’t know he was a Christian.” At no point was a specific religion brought into it, and blessed water exists as part of different practices in multiple non-Christian religions. So it was a weird assumption, and I’m not sure if it speaks more to character bias or author bias. Could go either way.

My hope is The Originals will stay on and that I can bring some of these characters over there," Plec says of the Vampire Diaries spinoff. But if that doesn't work out, there's another option. "I could see our universes coming together in five years, 10 years, when people miss the shows," she says. "There's still stories to be told for The Originals that our characters here very smoothly and seamlessly fit into, so if we don't get to do that while The Originals is still on the air, I think that one day, if somebody wanted it badly enough, it could exist." And anyone at all who saw one of them in the wrong place at the wrong time—or saw something they shouldn’t, like their research notes on the Whatever could betray them innocently by accident, just by mentioning it to the wrong person. Once the demon-or-demons is inside the spell-trap . . .It-or-they will chase me . . . The spell-trap will hold it-or-them . . . You have to wait by the spell-trap for the demon-or-demons to enter it, and as soon as it-or-they’re caught . . .The biggest problem with this book is that it feels like half a novel. Spirit and friends do get to the bottom of why the students disappeared, but that felt more like a single episode of a TV show rather than a complete story arc. There were hints dropped of a much larger plot, one that seemed far more interesting than what everyone else was dwelling on. Why the headmaster of the school has a split personality, going from yelling tyrant to kindly doddering old man depending on the scene. Why, after what seems like a fairly routine disappearance, everyone starts acting like a war is beginning A war may be beginning, but those disappearances were either related to the Wild Hunt plotline, or else that whole plotline (and thus over half the novel) was a diversion and just pure coincidence. Why Spirit’s magic doesn’t manifest.

Kids have been disappearing for 40 years, which sets the stage for a drawn out mystery at the school that took place in a time frame short enough for one of the staff to have witnessed it. Guess what that reminds me of. You got it folks, Harry Potter! The Chamber of Secrets . . . and the kids have to find the monster before any more kids are petrified. In this case, the kids have to find out what the Whatever is in time to prevent any more deaths from happening. And then there is the school, Oakhurst. It's a boarding school out in the middle of nowhere specifically for magical orphans. I can't even type that without laughing. Because what tugs more heartstrings than an orphan? An entire school of orphans! To be fair, I can understand why you wouldn't want orphaned people with magic just out in the world, because that could be bad. But where do with the other magical people get trained? Because as far as I understood it, only orphans go to this school. The inspiration for Legacies stems from the creative minds of Julie Plec and Brett Matthews, who sought to continue the legacy of The Vampire Diaries and The Originals through a new generation of characters. Drawing upon the rich lore established by L. J. Smith’s novels and previous TV adaptations, Plec and Matthews aimed to create a series that would not only appeal to long-time fans but also entice new viewers into the supernatural world. L. J. Smith is the author behind some of the most beloved young adult book series of the past few decades, including The Vampire Diaries, The Secret Circle, and The Forbidden Game. Her works have inspired numerous TV adaptations, including the hit series The Vampire Diaries and its spin-offs. The Legacies is a story of intrigue and hidden secrets. We open with the knowledge that a body has been found at the Legacy Ball, and the story takes us through the days building up to the event.

Become a Member

This story focuses on a high-society club that has a lot of secrets and mysteries surrounding some of the members, especially the new initiates. Every year there are a group of teenagers from the best schools in New York that are nominated and then accepted into this club, that's essentially secret, and then they are forever "one of them." This year seems to be the same until one of the main character's mom goes missing (and she is one to be involved with everything), there's an unexpected nomination, and some teenage drama in the mix as well. While reading about rich people drama isn't something I do too often, when I do read it every now and then it usually is interesting, but Goodman made it even more fun. I had high hopes for The Legacies. Unfortunately, those hopes were dashed by 52% What killed it were the shallow, self-serving characters, and the party central daily atmosphere. Add in teen angst, drug use, and parents that don't really care about their teens except for the prestige of them becoming a Legacy Club member, and you have a recipe that takes away from the real mystery/murder. I was hoping for some love, but Burke apparently liked Muirin and would have more if she wasn’t so mean. I actually sensed more chemistry between Burke and Loch than anything. I always love following a whodunit story, and this one has three POVs - each being very interesting. There’s also a dual timeline.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment