276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Four Streets: Volume 1

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

The publisher said a “small delay is necessary to allow for the huge volume of material the author has consulted, the number of high-level sources spoken to and the required legal process needed to share her story”.

Dorries’ source said: “An MP gave a young female a date rape drug; the next thing she knew was she woke in a country hotel the following morning. He wanted her out of the room because, he told her, he had visitors coming for breakfast.” Johnson is quoted saying: “We just aren’t doing enough to fix our energy supply problems, we aren’t doing enough to build nuclear reactors. HS2 has become a total joke. Levelling up has been all but forgotten. What’s happening to gigabit broadband? I don’t hear and don’t know what’s happening to all the infrastructure stuff. We hear nothing on skills. The whole social care reform has been junked and so much work went into that. Leave Brexit to one side, there was a massive agenda we had as a government to transform the country, and it doesn’t seem to be happening in any form of articulated way. I’m particularly concerned that there’s no grand economic strategy for growth. Why? Where is the vision for the country?” Reviewer Sarah Ditum tore into it for trying to be a ham-Irish Trainspotting, written with lines like ” Jaysus, would yer so believe it not?” and, “That’ll be grand for the boxty bread.”A recent episode saw a pompous Englishman set sail for Heir Island, in West Cork’s Roaring Water Bay, to collect examples of folk tales; he ends up ensnared in an illegal drinking den while islanders spout cod-antique nonsense at him. I squeaked with excitement because that bit of fiendishly wiggly coast is where our family always heads on holiday, the latest excitement being that the tiny island now has its own pizza place, PizzHeiria. We know, too, that 148 Tory MPs then voted no confidence in Mr Johnson, because the result was announced by the 1922 Committee. It amounted to 41 per cent of Tory MPs.

The first problem is the time frame, it's not clear how long of a time period this book is supposed to cover. There is a 2 year time period from the point where we are introduced to Alice's character and when her role in the story really starts. But then that's followed by a mention of the child being in nappies to jumping to mentions of school. There is no clear indication of the differences in ages between Kitty and Nellie, but it's mentioned near the end that Kitty is 14 and they appear to both be caring for the other kids. There are no mentions of any big events like birthdays or Christmas to help explain. Dominic Cummings outed himself on Friday as someone who was in the firing line, tweeting an approach for comment from the Daily Mail, which is serialising the book. The Johnson ally also has a problem with the defence secretary. “Grant’s overly voluble Cabinet contributions always created an eye roll from colleagues,” she writes. Boris Johnson greets Nadine Dorries before the Conservative leadership hustings in Wyboston, Bedfordshire, July 2019. Photograph: Leon Neal/Getty Images You might know her as the former culture secretary who loves nothing more than a confrontational broadcast interview and isn't much a fan of the BBC.He spectacularly failed to impress at the Cabinet table. He never shone in any department and was now running on air… monotone, startlingly unimaginative.” When I chose this book to read I was oblivious to the fact it is written by Nadine Dorries, an MP known for taking part in some reality show I never watch, which was just as well as I was not influenced by the authors previous fame and did genuinely find the book engaging. The setting was well described and the hardships palpable. Dorries creates characters you learn to love and hate. The tragedy, laughter, spirit of community and religion are well depicted throughout the novel. The political analysis in The Plot has more puppetry than Tracy Island. Oliver Dowden (whom Nadine Dorries succeeded as Culture Secretary) is a “puppet” of Mr Smith. Lee Cain (the Downing Street director of communications) was “a total puppet” of Mr Cummings. Rishi Sunak was “their dream puppet”. But a question occurred to her about Michael Gove and the conspirators: “Is he their puppet or a puppeteer?”

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment