276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Kingdom by the Sea (Essential Modern Classics) (Collins Modern Classics)

£3.495£6.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

The only way for an American to get to know England is to make friends with the English, go into their houses and meet their friends. However, something was off -- my mood or the tone of the writing, but whatever it was, I didn't mesh with this memoir as I had wanted. The Kingdom by the Sea: A Journey Around Great Britain, originally published in 1983, [4] is the account of a three-month-long journey taken by novelist Paul Theroux around the United Kingdom in the summer of 1982.

The book has many themes loss, survival, relationships, nature and all are dealt with sensitively and wisely. While he was traveling during the 80s, I can definitely say that some of the places he described either aren't that way now, or weren't given a fair shake. SUMMARY: A young boy is separated from his family during an air-raid on England, and thinking his family is dead, makes a life for himself on the road picking up a dog and living by his own wits and the kindness of others during World War Two.I did enjoy some of his descriptions of the crazy hotels and interesting observations on the British. He passed Dulcie’s door, heard Mam and Dulcie muttering to each other, Dulcie sleepy and cross, Mam sharp and urgent. He wants to discover the real Britain, so travels mostly by walking or using the train and talks to people he meets along the way.

I was intrigued by his book about walking around the coast of England over a three-month period in 1982.Overall, another enjoyable read from Theroux and I look forward to the next of his on my list to read! He cleans up the carriage willingly with thoughts of the family at the back of his mind, also leaving a one-pound note in thanks. It felt like it cheapened the whole story to have Harry's family miraculously survive -- but instead of being glad to have Harry back, they're cross that Harry no longer fits in, having been changed by his ~journey~. The occasional use of "Aah" instead of "I" is surprisingly effective at conjuring up a Geordie accent. Margaret Thatcher, the then prime minister, decided that life cannot continue to be what it was for the British.

Trotzdem: gerade wenn man viel unterwegs ist um Länder und Leute kennen zu lernen, sollte man das doch auch in der Heimat tun. But Jack (his son) always said that anyone of ill-will could soon smash a door or a window open, and he'd be in a rage by the time he'd got inside. The Kingdom by the Sea, Theroux's grumpy, funny account of this journey, was published the following year (1983) and caused outrage in many of the seaside towns the author had passed through and seemingly written off.He experiences yobs on trains, fights between mods and skinheads, grotty seaside guesthouses and a rail strike. The repetition of these points doesn't build to any greater theme or purpose: it's as if Theroux just didn't re-read his manuscript and hadn't realized that he'd used the exact same phrasing against the exact same target five times before. In a quiet way the British were hopeful, and because in the cycle of ruin and renewal there had been so much ruin, they were glad to be still holding on -- that was the national mood -- but they were hard put to explain their survival. I could relate intimately to the pivotal character - with his youthful perspective on the world and people around him.

His novels include The Lower River and The Mosquito Coast, and his renowned travel books include Ghost Train to the Eastern Star and Dark Star Safari. When on a worrisome walkabout once, I almost slept under an upturned boat just like the character (I found a warmer hostel. There are some wonderful moments that struck notes with me -- for instance an encounter with Jonathan Rabin, who told me once during a signing event that he and Theroux were friends and often shared galleys before final publication. Theroux's departures from resorts (to Liverpool, Belfast, Ulster) are among the most interesting parts of the book.

Indeed Harry has grown a lot over these two months, finding his kingdom by the sea and aching to stay forever. His favourite spot is the remotest corner of Scotland where the sight of sheep stranded on a deserted beach sandbank as the tide comes in,leaving them to drown, warms the cockles of his heart. Theroux must have known that these holiday camps are a sick joke throughout the rest of the country, catering to a small section of the dwindling working class and its teen-age children.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment