276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Other Mother: A wickedly honest parenting tale for every kind of family

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Comic Maureen Younger, who is hilarious and has a unique approach to common sense. Like the time we arranged to meet in Southwark. After waiting 10 mins outside the tube station I phoned to find out where she was. “London Bridge,” she said. Apparently I hadn’t specified where in the borough of Southwark so she’d taken a guess. You can’t fault her logic. The funniest dream I’ve ever had … Donaldson, Brian (26 October 2018). "My Comedy Hero: Jen Brister on Victoria Wood". list.co.uk . Retrieved 28 May 2019. In 2018, Brister took her sixth show Meaningless to the Edinburgh festival, where she had a sell-out run. This was the first show she had toured around the UK. We needed ten years to go from "We want children" to the birth of our first child. We went to fertility clinics, internet forums, and ultimately found our donour in a friend. I didn't give birth to my daughter, but stood beside her isolette in the NICU (she was a preemie) and was the first to touch her. The fear I had of losing her when my wife was bleeding during her second trimester is the moment I realised I was irrevocably a mum. I did give birth to my son. I really enjoyed this book. From the first few lines, everything about it is drenched in the love that Brister so obviously has for her family, which is beautiful. The way she writes highlights her love for them even when, at times, things are (quite literally) shitty, and you just can't underestimate how heartwarming and reassuring that is.

Latitude Festival 2006 [ permanent dead link] Brister also appeared at the Latitude Festival 2006 & 2018 From the heartbreak of failed IVF and the often-uncomfortable realities of being pregnant with twins to the horrific truths about childbirth or in Chloe’s case caesarean sections, there is very little Jen Brister doesn’t cover in her account of becoming parents. Despite her optimism about becoming a mother, Jen has to contend with being the “other one”, i.e. the non-biological mother of her children. She fears her twins not loving her as much as their biological mother and observes that she does not have the “glow” of a real mother like her partner. The descriptions of her eventual acceptance of this “otherness” makes the reader realise that temporary loss of identity is a confusion that everyone can sometimes have in life. Nevertheless, the book ends with temporary tranquillity in the characters’ motherhood. Motherhood is just an example of the mixed experiences life can bring, and you never know what comes next. This began as an intriguing look into the dynamics of same-sex parenthood, looking at how it can feel to be the parent who’s not pregnant or who didn’t bring the kids into the world. I found the honesty around Brister’s relationship to feel like fresh air, and she didn’t hide from sharing everything, even things which may not have been flattering but were real.

Matthews, Nammie (31 May 2018). "BN1 chats to… Jen Brister". bn1magazine.co.uk . Retrieved 28 May 2019. Gilson, Edwin (1 June 2018). "Brighton comedian Jen Brister on #MeToo: "I found out things I never knew" ". The Argus . Retrieved 28 May 2019. Burns, James (6 August 2012). "Review: Jen Brister, Now and Then". funnywomen.com . Retrieved 4 July 2023. A brand new comedy short, “Past Caring” written by Jen and Rosie Jones will be aired on SKY TV later this year. We’d chosen to go down the IVF route and use sperm from a bank rather than from someone we knew. I felt completely fine about becoming a parent without the biological connection, but I did have some neurosis about whether my children would like me. I’ll be honest with you: lots of people don’t. I needn’t have worried, though, because as soon as they were born, I realised that these gorgeous _(_prune-faced) little lads needed me more than I could have ever imagined, and I was compelled to rise to the challenge of being their parent.

I had one of those asymmetric haircuts for a while. I thought I looked so cool. I remember going to my mum’s house and her answering the door saying: “I think your hairdresser hates you.” The funniest joke I’ve ever heard … This book explains a lot more about her life than I knew. Yes, she's a mother of, as it happens, twin sons (now around 4 or 5 years old), but the meaning of the title is that she's a lesbian in a committed relationship, whose girlfriend was the bio-carrier of the boys, so Brister has always seen herself as their 'other' mother. I have always hated the idea of becoming a parent. The identity of motherhood is sometimes bound up with stereotypes of chatty boringness, a loss of self-identity, and continuous complaints. Those perceptions were challenged after reading Jen Brister’s The Other Mother. Bottom line, it's a book which in no way sets out to make her especially likeable, but through which her likeability seeps anyway, almost against her will. It's a book of laughter, logic and love which gives the hearty finger to pretentiousness and guff - which frankly feels like just the right mood with which to scream towards 2020. Recommended, this one. If you're a parent, some of it will strike shivers of remembrance or cameraderie fown your spine. If you're not, you'll still enjoy it while feeling slightly smug. Brister studied drama at Middlesex University, London, where, in the mid-1990s, she took a course in stand-up comedy, the only one of its kind at the time in the UK. Other famous graduates include Alan Carr, Dan Renton Skinner of the Dutch Elm Conservatoire and Shooting Stars, and Clare Warde of the Runaway Lovers. Brister's first gig was at the end of her third year at university in 1996, [7] at the King's Head in Crouch End, London.With the rebel alliance of MPs attempting to prevent a no deal Brexit before parliament is prorogued next week, who are the women to watch, what are they thinking and how will they act this week? We're joined by Helen Lewis, staff writer for The Atlantic and Katy Balls, deputy political editor of The Spectator to discuss. Another in our series about young people at risk of getting into trouble and the people trying to help them. At a busy private stables in rural Worcestershire Steph works with girls who have been excluded from mainstream education – they have been offered a Changing Lives Though Horses course run by the British Horse Society as alternative way of educating/reaching/calming them. Jo Morris met Steph and the riding teachers Dan and Karen there with Britney, Emma and Libby. Paskett, Zoe (5 December 2018). "Jen Brister interview: 'I was strangling my career, but I don't give a f*** anymore' ". Evening Standard . Retrieved 28 May 2019. Brister is also a writer and has contributed to Diva, g3, Standard Issue magazine and The Huffington Post. She has also written for BBC Scotland. [22]

Comedian Jen Brister writes about her personal experience of motherhood from the time she and her partner Chloe decide to have children, through the birth of their twin sons and those early sleepless nights, up to the boys reaching four years old. She shares the highs and lows of that time, the expectations of others and also her own misguided expectations, and how what she has learned in that time has shaped her current perspective. I dreamed that I was Gary Barlow’s girlfriend and we were really happy, which was weird for two reasons: 1) because I’m a lesbian, and 2) because I always fancied Howard. The funniest meal I’ve ever eaten … Jen Brister’s writing is not only open and honest about her insecurities about being the ‘other’ mother but also about the insecurities and fears all parents can relate to. She delves deep into the struggles she and her partner have, particularly during pregnancy, childbirth and the early stages of bringing up the twins. My wife and I have children with the last one coming under the wire when I was 4 days shy of 43. How often do I see myself and my family so truly depicted in stories? Never. The Other Mother deconstructs the romanticisation of motherhood, especially within a household that does not seem to fit into the mould of a “traditional family”. As a lesbian couple, Jen and Chloe go through the painful processes of sperm selection and IVF, only to transition to the ever more challenging process of parenting. This journey is filled with as many miseries as it is laughter. Throughout this book, the complexities of motherhood are explored in great detail with a captivating sense of humour (including cleaning babies’ nappies in public places!). The author made me vividly feel the “realness” of a life I was previously unsure about.I never remember jokes. Saying that, my son told me a hilarious joke about a helicopter and some jelly … No, it’s gone. The comedian Jen Brister talks about what it was like becoming a non-biological mum. She had twin boys with her partner Chloe four years ago after several rounds of IVF, and it was Chloe who gave birth. She talks about the reaction of friends and professionals, and what she felt like herself having babies in this way - experiences she has written about in her book The Other Mother.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment