276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Magic Flutes

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

I like the sacrifice of everything toward the greater good of music, and that Beethoven's button business-genius. The soft meringues are then served floating on a pool of custard and if you are very lucky, some kitchen magician will have placed a brittle frizz of caramelized sugar atop it all. Yes, we have a lovely young couple who must be permitted to get together in the end, and yes, the girl is a princess.

Tessa has turned her back on her past and made the opera the focus of her entire life, while Guy has all but nullified his humble origins by molding his life around the pursuit of wealth and power. We see her weeping with exhaustion once or twice, and - later on - making a silly decision in pique. An ancient (now crumbling) Austrian aristos’ family seat is procured by Foundling to impress fiancée with, and tricked out via Foundling’s bottomless chequebook to put on a performance of The Magic Flute. I love that once they know Who She Is and Tessa has to make her Grand Speech to the opera company to be allowed to continue working herself half to death on their account, she uses lines from arias (that they’ve sung) to drive home her point that everyone is equal.No one there knows who she really is, or that a fairy-tale castle is missing its princess, and Tessa is determined to keep it that way. I can see how it draws comparison to Austen and Heyer, because there is something similar in the pacing, the level of detail about the society surrounding the leads, the gentle judgments of the foibles of many characters, and the innocent veneer softening what was surely the author's broader knowledge of how much suffering was taking place in various strata of society. Pamina is brought in and Sarastro instructs Pamina and Tamino to bid each other farewell before the greater trials ahead, alarming them by describing it as their "final farewell".

But it is the situations that arise and the language describing them that made me cry so often: Tessa sells Schloss Pfaffenstein to Guy for a great deal of money.Guy plans an amazingly romantic gesture for his first love – holding up a boombox to the nth degree.

If you sometimes do, there are no explicit sex scenes and the novels are written in a very sweet and adorable manner.

If I had read this book before I read A Countess Below Stairs it would have been one of my favorite books. There is one point near the end of the story where they find themselves alone in the same place for the first time in months and months and their quiet conversation is exquisite. The music is by Herr Wolfgang Amade Mozart, Kapellmeister, an actual I[mperial] and R[oyal] Chamber Composer. Most recent publications: the reissue of "To Marry an English Lord,"one of the inspirations for "Downton Abbey," and the historical novel "Leaving Van Gogh.

While part of this story is an absolutely perfect girl falling in love with an absolutely perfect man, which seems to be the exclusive providence of fairy tales and simplistic romance novels, The Reluctant Heiress defies categorization as solely or primarily one of these genres. KÔLAM”, his first album as a leader, gives voice to his innovative and contemporary vision of Indian music. Journey to the River Sea won the Smarties Book Prize Gold Award, was runner-up for the Whitbread Children's Book of the Year and the Guardian Fiction Award, and was also shortlisted for the Carnegie Medal. The allegorical plot was influenced by Schikaneder and Mozart's interest in Freemasonry and concerns the initiation of Prince Tamino. During the scene of her showing Guy what brings her to a cemetery in Vienna, a red squirrel does scamper up to her feet.He has made his fortune several times over, in point of fact - yet has never forgotten his down-to-earth unpretentious foster mother who raised him. The three ladies suddenly reappear and instead of giving Papageno wine, cake and figs, they give him water and a stone, and padlock his mouth closed as a warning not to lie. I had not intended to reread this until I started thinking about my neglected shelf of Eva Ibbotson books the other day. The narrative alternates between Tessa and Guy's stories as they work their way toward meeting one day in the bowels of the theater when Guy walks in on a weeping Tessa, who (an absolute martyr when it comes to opera) has just chopped off all her beautiful hair to provide a wig for the diva to wear in that night's performance. Herr Gayl, theatre painter, and Herr Nesslthaler as designer, flatter themselves that they have worked with the utmost artistic zeal according to the prescribed plan of the piece.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment