276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Murder Room

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

P.D. James – or Phyllis Dorothy James, Baroness James of Holland Park, as she known in her “real” life – passed away in 2014 at the age of 94, so unless her estate grants rights to a modern author, we won't be seeing any new additions to this series. Okay, Mr. Capuzzo, how do you know about the lingering aromas? Is the ventilation in the room that poor? As for the waiters 'shouldering cups of .. blancmange,' how large were these cups? Is it possible they were shouldering trays containing the cups? Is the image in the middle of the room a Star Wars 3D image, or did they project it on a screen? If it was in the middle of the room, how did the people on the other side see it?

The writing was smooth and balanced, not too wordy, and not too much probing into the psychologies of the characters. James can be really tiresome with her detailed descriptions of places and characters and too much exposure to their inner minds. I've experienced that time and again, but mercifully, here we see somewhat more "tamed" writing without too much enthusiasm showed for details. I also found the writing to be quite sensitive which I truly appreciated. As he sets off hunting the woman responsible for a series of grisly murders, Thorne has no way of knowing that he will be plunged into a nightmare from which he may never wake. A nightmare that has a name. Thorne’s past threatens to catch up with him and a ruinous secret is about to be revealed. If he wants to save himself and his friends, he will have to do the unthinkable. The problem is that mixing up details like this, or presenting them this clumsily, casts doubt on anything Capuzzo says that I can't confirm with personal knowledge (or, if I'm really curious about it, research). Where else did he make assumptions or mix up his papers or lose part of the sense of his story by moving chapters around? This book was created with good intentions, has an interesting narrative, and is probably worth reading if it sounds interesting to you, but the editing is some of the shoddiest I've seen in a while.The Adam Dalgliesh novels were published between 1962 and 2008, and while Dalgliesh is a Scotland Yard detective living in London, many books in the series are set elsewhere in the UK. how fascinating William Fleisher, Frank Bender, and Richard Walter are, but how uneven the author was in covering our three main characters (need more cool Fleisher stories, yo) I hope Mark Billingham continues to write engaging plots that enthrals his readers, I’m sure there’s still a lot more sadistic murders for DI Thorne and his colleagues to solve. In every one of the Dalgleish series I have read, we hear all about Kate Miskin’s previous housing. Capuzzo is a masterful writer and storyteller…Who will benefit from reading this book? Anyone who reads it. For starters, personnel in every law enforcement agency across the country; students studying government, sociology, psychology, judges, lawyers and law students; state and federal statesmen and women; physicians; voters; and especially you, because crime and disappearances can really happen to you and to those you know.

The Murder Room is all that a murder-mystery should be. Intriguing and clever mystery plot, an exciting story, an interesting set of characters, including the suspects, and well-balanced writing. After my previous disappointment, I approached this novel with caution and without expectations, but I was pleasantly surprised and am happy to find that, at last, this is one book in the series that I could claim to have truly enjoyed. In all the eleven preceding books of the series, I found some complaint or other which stopped me from fully enjoying their stories. This was true even for A Certain Justice which for me had the cleverest plot in the Dalgliesh series so far. But now with The Murder Room, I can say that series gave me at least one book to enjoy without a grumble. Dystopian Fiction Books Everyone Should Read: Explore The Darker Side of Possible Worlds and Alternative Futures So this is a history of the Vidocq Society, which is a social club for elite detectives. They get together once a month for a gourmet lunch and a cold case, and in general help victims' families try to get justice. It's also a partial biography of the three men, Frank Bender, William Fleisher, and Richard Walter, who founded the Society. I found Capuzzo's attempts to bring his three principals to life annoying and would have preferred a far tighter focus on the cases and a less fancy, more chronological approach. He does a fine job of recounting the cold cases and the process by which the Society do or do not succeed in convicting the various murderers. With impressive access and a powerful narrative presence, Michael Capuzzo delivers an intimate portrait of the greatest crime fighters of our time. The Murder Room is as addictive as the most inventive of thriller novels, but let us not forget that these are true stories; the monsters in this book are real, and so are the dedicated men who hunt them. Thank you to the author, publisher Little, Brown, and online book club The Pigeonhole for the chance to read this. This is an honest and voluntary review.

Become a Member

The book is not always easy reading. Baroness James has a taste for the longer sentence. They are perfectly constructed, but the meaning is not always evident on a first reading. I found myself rereading some parts to be sure that I had the meaning correctly and this does not make for relaxing reading. This is carried over into the dialogue. Everyone speaks grammatically and even the n'er-do-wells sound as though they're auditioning to be BBC newsreaders. Police personnel always speak politely to each other and there's little, if anything in the way of banter. I came to "The Murder Room" fresh from reading one of Ian Rankin's Rebus novels with all its gritty realism and the contrast could not have been starker. The investigation is complicated for Dalgliesh by his love for Emma Lavenham, but their relationship, at a sensitive stage for them both, is continually frustrated by the demands of his job. As step by step he moves closer to the murderer, is the investigation taking him further away from commitment to the woman he loves? The BBC adapted the book for a two-part, three-hour TV production released in 2004, starring Martin Shaw as Dalgliesh and Janie Dee as Lavenham. The production was released on DVD in the U.S. in October 2005. What (David Simon's) Homicide was to that era, The Murder Room by Michael Capuzzo is to modern murder solving. It's an exhilarating read with complex characters, devastating cases and breathtaking breaks and turns.Don't be surprised if it also becomes the basis of a TV show or film.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment