276°
Posted 20 hours ago

XHDATA D-808 Portable Digital Radio FM stereo/SW/MW/LW SSB RDS Air Band Multi Band Radio Speaker with LCD Display Alarm Clock External Antenna

£44£88.00Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

I think this may be the first time a radio with so many features and such a high sensitivity comes in such a small package – all handheld scanners with SW and SSB were an expensive atrocity on shortwave, the late ICF-7600 was slightly bigger, less sensitive and SSB was not its strength.

The hobbyist either sinks or swims according to his own personal choices of DXing times, frequencies and recording decisions during limited propagation openings—all with the added challenge of depending on very basic equipment.In the “Gander Radio” example above, the narrow filter on the PL-660 couldn’t keep 4XZ’s CW signal on 6607kHz in check, while the D-808’s 2. A theory could be that this happens when an off-band signal (and/or the AGC causing “clipping”) makes an AD-converter run out of bits. Using a Panasonic RF-B65 which had NO bandwidth options, I was able to hear and record a full sign off and ID. Direct frequency input needs to be initated with the “Freq” button though, and in some cases (shortwave frequency <10 In the dark, it is impossible to get a tactile location of the buttons which makes it difficult to use in unlighted areas.

Now you have an inductively coupled input for the LW/MW antenna of your choice, and the inductance that the SiLabs chip wants to see at it’s input will remain unchanged. My hunch is they are using the same chip set possibly minor difference is software and battery management hardware. I guess you mean what portable I’d suggest and I’m afraid I can’t answer this – many of the best performers on LW are probably vintage radios, even though this is about MW, not LW you could check https://radiojayallen.This works because the audio signal to noise ratio increases so much with moderate volume that when you reduce the audio through the amp the noise levels become absolutely inaudible. Most of my radio listening of late is done with a Sangean ATS-909X (2015), Eton Grundig Edition Satellit (2017) and Hammarlund SP-600 JX-21 (1957). The internal (and very slow changing) thermometer of the D-808 indicated an internal temperature drop of 12°C within 10 minutes and if there was a drift at all, it drifted less than 10Hz.

Other reviewers have noted the excellent performance of the D-808 on the AM band, and this is probably one of the main reasons. Changing bands is not exactly fast either but at least toggling between USB and LSB works instantaneously.In construction very similar to that of the CC Skywave, the D-808 separates into two main circuit boards, connected together by a plug-in ribbon cable. The 1 kHz filter seems to be the only one with an offset lower skirt (=less bassy sound), which can be useful in some cases. On the other hand it has great frequency stability, great selectivity and sensitivity and I can hear what I want to hear anyway. batteries have a very high energy density at a very low weight, and in the D-808 they meet a radio with a very moderate power consumption.

The Skywave SSB model has a reputation of being one of the most sensitive Ultralight radios, but the D-808 clearly outperformed it on both low band fringe station (550-KARI) and high band fringe station (1700-City of Auburn TIS) reception. Tecsun started providing this on small receivers years ago, and in the PL-880, the excellent though flawed portable that also took the listening world by storm, and in the recent 330, 990x and 501x. New Radios are few and far between these days and likely to get rarer with SDR becoming more common but as much as I like SDR I like to listen to radio without a computer and would like to see higher quality radios in the future.As regards performance, I find that I can get some random oscillations near local FM stations which could be generated internally.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment