276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Photographing The Lake District

£14.975£29.95Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

SIMON: One of the most exciting parts of photography for me is the exploring part - I love the feeling of discovering something, making a composition work and then enjoying the resulting image that feels unique, personal and creatively fulfilling. Exploring in the hope of finding something can feel counterproductive if you're not time rich, but I'd aim for just one photo that I'm particularly happy with. Strap on your walking boots, enjoy a hike and be open minded. There are still plenty of areas which see very few photographers. What is the best season to photograph the Lake District? As already mentioned there are various spots to park along the lake edge but please do not park in passing places or obstruct traffic. Close to Ambleside, this peaceful tarn and fell offer lovely views toward Grasmere, and the craggy Langdale pikes.

I’ve usually photographed this area in very still, calm conditions and, similarly to Buttermere, the reflections of the surrounding fells can make for some very interesting images. Although the wider, panoramic approach definitely works here too, I liked the more abstract feel of trying to capture the weird shapes and symmetry of the nearby crags and fells for this image. LEE: It does rain quite a lot throughout the year due to its geographical position. Like with most landscapes in the UK, I prefer to shoot in late spring and autumn, but if you’re visiting for the first time, I would think about how you want the scenery to look and make your decision on what time of the year to visit based on that.The views across the water toward Coniston Old Man are lovely and there are a couple of shapely conifer trees along the shore. Being small and quite sheltered, this is a lovely little spot to visit on blowy days when larger bodies of water are rippled. This hidden gem is particularly photogenic during autumn or on a crisp, frosty morning. 7. Coniston There are some fantastic elevated views to the southern end of Rydal Water from Whitemoss Common, and the effort needed to reach them is minimal. Park in the Whitemoss (pay and dispay) car park, on the right hand side of the road as you travel along the A591 from Ambleside. You can walk along the south western shores of the lake and along the shingle you will find a good mixture of boulders, fences going into the water, gnarly old tree roots as well.

While from Waterhead in Ambleside, which is situated at the northern most end of the lake, there are some great photographic opportunities looking south down the lake, with boats often moored here for added interest. It is no surprise that the Lakes attracts more visitors than any other National Park in the UK, with over 15 million annual visitors. Therefore, when possible, avoid holidays and weekends – and be aware that many of the car parks are pay and display. Okay, it’s not so little. This National Park covers 2,362 square kilometers and showcases the country’s largest lakes, tallest mountains, and most stunning scenery. As you might guess, the Lake District is named after16 glacial lakes that lie in long ribbons among its fells, moors, and verdant valleys. If you’ve read my description of the best time to photograph Wastwater you’ll already know I highly recommend not being restricted to time of year, or time of day. I would apply this recommendation to all the locations I suggest. Work with what you have at the time – there are numerous possibilities to create some magic here at any time of year, any time of day. Better to focus on compositional opportunities than to worry about if there’s a better time. With camera in hand, right now, there is no better time! Detailed OS maps featuring the locations (and the best pubs), written directions and smart phone usuable ///what3words and scannable lat-long QR-codes make getting to a location straightforward.There are several hiking trails in the leafy park ranging from 0.5 miles to 2 miles and family friendly facilities including picnic spots, toilets and a café. A car will be your friend in the Lake District as arriving at most spots by public transport will be challenging and will rarely coincide with the times you want to arrive for best light.

No autumn trip to the Lake District would be complete without visiting the spectacular Buttermere Lake. The drive over the Honister Pass to get there is amazing in itself and, when conditions are right, this has to be one of the UK’s most iconic locations at which to capture the colours of autumn. Hallinn Fell, Gowbarrow Fell, Silver Crag, and Place Fell provide elevated views of the area, but most photographers will want to stay close to the water’s edge to shoot reflections and foreground.The above image was taken from Waterhead, Ambleside, on a particularly misty November morning. A 10 minute walk from here to Borrans Park (passed the piers and jetties and the Water Edge Inn) takes you further to the tip of the lake and offers up a different perspective – a worthwhile detour from here.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment