276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Promise Me: The most heart-warming novel of 2023

£4.995£9.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

I love this author, and this book certainly didn’t disappoint. We are taken on a wonderfully heart-warming journey of love and friendships with the main character Lou. Lou is visiting her childhood friend, Sammy when she bumps into grumpy 80-year-old, Edgar Allsopp. Edgar isn’t the easiest man to get on with, but he seems to take a begrudging shine to Lou and makes her an offer she can’t refuse. I loved Lou’s character and connected with her straight away. I’ve worked as a carer and have come across many grumpy old men like Edgar in my time and knew right from their first meeting that they would end up being friends. Aan het einde van dit boek, neemt Jill ons mee in een wel heel bijzonder perspectief. Dit is de eerste keer dat ze dit doet in een verhaal. En ondanks dat ik een traantje moest laten, vond ik dit heel erg speciaal. It's frustrating reading a book full of adults who just don't seem to have their stuff together and not because they are still on their way to figuring themselves out (fair and can happen at any moment/age in your life) but just because they are somewhat cruel, enjoy being spiteful and act as though they aren't aware of how negatively they impact others around them - even though the internal monologue and narration provided, proves that they are all more than well aware. Samen was het een compleet en goed uitgewerkt geheel en was het oprecht weer een heerlijke Jill Mansell! Edgar is a treat. What a difficult and disagreeable old man. Lou does her best with him and we do see a more affable, but still brutally savage Edgar emerge. It is amazing what the love of a good dog can achieve too.

And with that, she discovers so much more about herself, helps the people around her, genuinely just cares to do what's right. Edgar, the old man set upon living life to the fullest before he passes away, does push her to her limits; but, she knows that despite the pay-off she believes she'll receive after, she just wants him to find a bit of happiness, no matter how late in life it comes. In dit nieuwste boek van Jill Mansell maken we kennis met Lou, maar zoals altijd in de verhalen van Jill, ook met andere interessante personages. I loved every second I spent reading this book. It is warm, realistic and life affirming' ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐Op zoek naar een baan, woonruimte en wat rust in haar leven, loopt ze per toeval tegen de brompot van het dorpje Foxwell aan wanneer ze haar beste vriend Sammy bezoekt. De immer knorrige Edgar heeft echter wel een voorwaarde, waar Lou over moet zwijgen. Kan Lou zich aan die belofte houden?

Ook zorgt ze altijd voor een fijne afronding aan het einde en dat was bij ‘Het zonnetje in huis‘ ook zeker weer het geval. Dit verhaal bracht mij pure ontspanning. Het kwam precies op het juiste moment. Rijkelijk gevuld met feelgood, doorspekt met humor, soms wat voorspelbaar én toch ook een beetje hartverscheurend. Jill Mansell heeft weer een succesformule op het papier weten te vangen die het begin van de lente inluidt. Jill Mansell is a incredibly talented author who has delivered flawless books over and over again and her latest novel Promise Me is no exception. We have the warmth and depth of emotion that we are accustomed to in Jill’s novels but there is also a modern spark to this storyline too. Wie had kunnen denken dat de excentrieke Edgar Allsopp de oplossing zou hebben voor Lou’s problemen? Hij biedt haar een baan en een dak boven haar hoofd in het dorp Foxwell in de Cotswolds. Jill Mansell (born 15 June?) [1] is a British author of romantic comedy. Her books have sold over fourteen million copies worldwide.Lou is a good person at heart and is determined that she will make Edgar begin to enjoy life, and slowly, she does begin to make changes, although Edgar is still rude, still grumpy and still hard to please. I love a story which features a cantankerous character and eighty-year-old Edgar was the perfect complement to Lou’s sweet demeanour. It was a joy to watch the relationship between these two develop into something more than employer and employee. This is my first book by Jill Mansell, but it certainly won’t be my last. I loved this book so, so much. Jill has always been one of my favourite authors and I personally think Promise Me is her best book to date! Praise for Jill Mansell: 'What a gorgeous book! Jill has a great gift for characterisation - nuanced, interesting, believable people but created with a charming lightness of touch. Thanks to Jill's warmth, wisdom and emotional intelligence, this book was a huge pleasure to read' - Marian Keyes Edgar's final decision was supposed to redeem him for making other decisions out of spite...it doesn't.

Throw in two handsome brothers and a adorable is cranky doggo and you have the recipe for a fantastic feel good romantic book. And along the way, you re-discover the meaning of friendship, re-kindle first crushes, and genuinely learn that despite the first impressions someone makes on you, everyone is capable of change and no matter how unsavory their behavior may be, deserves a little bit of kindness and happiness. All you have to do is say yes . . . The heart-warming, funny and unputdownable new novel from the bestselling Jill Mansell

Lou is een weekend op bezoek in het pittoreske dorpje Foxwell als ze op de parkeerplaats van de supermarkt kennismaakt met de chagrijnige Edgar Allsopp, die, nadat hij haar heeft beschuldigd van een poging tot beroving, nogal wat dringende verzoekjes voor haar heeft. Deze excentrieke tachtiger woont helemaal alleen in een groot landhuis en heeft een inwonende hulp nodig, en Lou lijkt hem de perfecte kandidaat voor die baan – of de enige, omdat hij al veel werknemers heeft verjaagd. Lou staat daar niet echt voor open, maar als ze haar baan en haar huis verliest en Edgar een wel heel bijzondere regeling voorstelt, besluit ze het toch een kans te geven. Zal ze weer wat vreugde in zijn leven kunnen brengen? We lezen het verhaal vooral vanuit Lou, maar we krijgen ook de hersenspinsels van andere personages mee. Lou is lief en behulpzaam en al snel ontmoet ze Edgar Allsopp. Een grumpy old man met een klein hartje. De interactie tussen Lou en Edgar verwarmde mijn hart en ik betrapte mezelf erop dat ik dit boek met een glimlach op mijn gezicht aan het lezen was. Daar heb ik dus helemaal geen zon of fluitende vogeltjes voor nodig. What a sparkling, joyful read! Jill is the absolute Queen of creating characters you immediately want to be best friends with!' - Philipa Ashley Jill weet als geen ander personages met elkaar te verbinden middels verschillende verhaallijnen en dat vind ik persoonlijk echt een grote kracht in haar verhalen.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment