276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Full English: A Sunday Times bestseller

£10£20.00Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Maconie said he started two urban legends: that Bob Holness, UK host of the game show Blockbusters, played the sax solo on Gerry Rafferty's hit single " Baker Street" [1] [12] and that David Bowie invented the board game Connect Four. While at St John Rigby College, Maconie formed a band named (after several iterations) Les Flirts, [1] featuring Maconie on guitar/vocals, Nigel Power on bass and Jem Bretherton on drums. I love the fact that you could be on a posh liner crossing the ocean and people from Stoke-on-Trent would be turning over the plates to see where they were made. Maconie's March 2012 book, Never Mind the Quantocks, [11] is a collection of more than 50 essays from his monthly column in Country Walking magazine.

The full English - Stuart Maconie The full English - Stuart Maconie

He completed, on 20 June 2009, all 214 Wainwrights in Cumbria [29] and is an honorary member of the Wainwright Society, having given their Memorial Lecture in 2006. Because I think he is a rare example of someone who has almost disappeared from English cultural life. His other books include the hit love letter to the north, Pies and Prejudice; Adventures on the High Teas; The Pie At Night, and The People's Songs, which accompanies the Radio 2 series of the same name, currently being repeated on Sunday evenings. Still, I do wish that sometimes we could take a step back and say, ‘Why can’t we be more like Norway?

It’s a Saturday dusk, always an evocative time, redolent of the theme from Sports Report and Doctor Who. Maconie previously worked as an English and sociology teacher at Skelmersdale College, Lancashire for one year in 1987–88. I would say that it is the very lack of obvious drama or spectacle that sets the beauty of our land apart. He makes his way to the Bridge Tavern – Maconie has wisely decided that a town’s boozer is the best way to detect its pulse – where a local man having a smoke outside nods towards the door and greets the stranger.

The Full English - Off The Shelf The Full English - Off The Shelf

Maconie has also presented musical specialities for BBC Radio 4 and the new-style "populist" BBC Radio 3 and has appeared on television and in films. Maconie does, however, quote the infamous passage in the Priestley book in which the author, roaming through Liverpool’s poverty-stricken Irish community, noted that “the Irishman in England too often cuts a very miserable figure. If there is a queerer village in all England than this, I have never seen it,” he said about Shotton Colliery, in Co Durham. The book of his walk, The Long Road from Jarrow spent five weeks in The Sunday Times Best-Seller list, and The Observer said 'He is as funny as Bryson and as wise as Orwell'. I was especially interested in the industrial heritage of the Potteries and how hard people's working lives must have been.

Throughout, Stevens deliberates on the concept of greatness as defined by the role of the butler in English society: “And yet, what precisely is this ‘greatness’? In Hanley he visits the Bethesda Chapel and pops into Terraces Menswear, while in Burslem he has a quick soft drink in the Clayhanger pub and laments the fiery passing of The Leopard. His previous work, The Nanny State Made Me (Ebury Press 2020) examines the positive impact of the Welfare State through the prism of his sixties and seventies childhood as well interviews with the countless beneficiaries of its work.

Stuart Maconie | PBJ Management Stuart Maconie | PBJ Management

He was a music reporter for Mark Goodier's Evening Session on BBC Radio 1, alongside Andrew Collins. Maconie later said, "I'm sure someone must have used the expression before me about the Hollies, or the Beatles, back in the '60s. Maconie quotes an English Journey sparingly, but it becomes clear that Priestley allowed his moods and eye to dictate what he recorded.

But, as Maconie Dick Whittingtons his way through England’s parishes, the reminder of empire is everywhere.

The Full English: A Sunday Times bestseller: Maconie, Stuart The Full English: A Sunday Times bestseller: Maconie, Stuart

The whole book was so much fun to do because there are so many interesting places in our own country. He has also had a successful career as a DJ working at various BBC radio stations, generally championing alternative music.Maconie has subsequently written volumes addressing social class, such as Pies and Prejudice and Adventures on the High Teas, as well as political history and British travel. Like many of his generation, he delighted in being smashed by wave after wave of English pop-music invention that has rolled through every decade since. The broadcaster, then, is one of England’s proud northerners who have thrived in the southern metropolis before finding their way back. I'm sure that if anyone had mistakenly said that Lemmy from Motörhead was from Hanley rather than Burslem he would have put them right.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment