276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Arch-Conspirator

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

But when murder blights their lives again, will Kreon respect the right of Antigone’s beloved dead to be reborn? stars until the very last 20 pages and then it sort of almost made me cry which usually shoots a book up to five stars for me, but I wasn't feeling it for this one, so I gave it 4. I know Roth is not to blame for this, due to the novella being a modern retelling of a story long since told, but I was still left lacking. The world building was cool, and could've been explored further to enhance the themes of autonomy, life versus death, power etc.

Arch-Conspirator by Veronica Roth Book Review | Arch-Conspirator by Veronica Roth

One man, High Commander or no, doesn’t have the right or the power to declare cruelty to be morality just because something has affected him personally. I did appreciate seeing the ancient world remade into a futuristic one and this was only a novella-length story, so perhaps should not have wished for too much to be included, but I did still hope that a bond with the principal characters and for more fleshed out personalities to be included. As many reviewers have already pointed out, this is a retelling of Antigone in a futuristic sci-fi world. I've had to read an Antigone retelling for my Comparative Literature class, I've now read this retelling, and I'm going to see a theatre production of it next week. Though while it was occasionally cumbersome, at least Arch-Conspirator is a bold and daring attempt that hits some fantastic moments of political struggles between characters as Antigone’s actions become a catalyst for a possible revolution in dystopian Thebes.The rest of the story could be more straightforward, but the amount of information is too much for a tiny novella-length story. I really enjoyed Antigone by Sophocles when I read it in college, so it took very little convincing for me to read this novella. Combined with the dystopian setting of the dying planet and the tyrannical rule of the surviving city state, the story gives readers a heroine to root for, a despot to revile, and a thought provoking ending.

Arch-Conspirator by Veronica Roth - BEFOREWEGOBLOG Review - Arch-Conspirator by Veronica Roth - BEFOREWEGOBLOG

Perhaps it wasn’t because we were family—perhaps it was because we were children of Oedipus, warped though we were by our genes.While I didn't necessarily mind not fully diving into the world, I do think this book could've easily been full-length as well. The worldbuilding tightens around the neck in a way that perfectly matches the noose-tension of the dramatic tragedy.

Arch-Conspirator - Macmillan

From dystopian visionary and bestselling phenomenon Veronica Roth comes a razor-sharp reimagining of Antigone. The small chapters are narrated by various characters in the story, although Antigone takes centre stage, for obvious reasons. And while I’m certainly of the mind that you can do whatever you want in retellings, I found the ending to be rather lackluster compared to how dramatic and abrupt the story of Antigone usually ends. Yes, men confuse protection with control and that was good but you have three different types of women dealing with this in their own way but they are just in their head about it and what they are saying isn’t anything new.A dusty dystopian city (Thebes in the original, but it isn’t clear where we are in the reboot) is all that remains after a thinly sketched environmental polycrisis has turned humanity into an endangered species. I understood the main dystopian aspects, but would've loved to know more about them and how they came into place.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment