276°
Posted 20 hours ago

My Fourth Time, We Drowned: Irish Book of the Year, Winner of the Orwell Prize and Shortlisted for the Baillie Gifford Prize 2022

£10£20.00Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Hayden, Sally (3 July 2019). "Opinion:They Hoped to Reach Europe Before They Were Massacred". The New York Times– via NYTimes.com. Probably the most important and touching book I’ve read this year… It’s horrific and nobody comes out looking good, least of all us citizens of Europe, who have allowed terrible things to go on in our name.” — Five Books Hayden’s powerful book relays the harrowing stories migrants have shared with her from their experiences in various Libyan migrant detention centers, from enduring near-starvation conditions to torture and even death…an accessible, critically reported account…” – – The Washington Post

What current book, film, TV show and podcast would you recommend?: I recently read So Distant From My Life by Burkinabè writer Monique Ilboudo: a novel about the relationship between Africa and Europe that could be read as a companion piece to Tayeb Salih’s 1960s classic Season of Migration to the North. Kafka retold… Read this great book shedding light on a monstrous crime.” — John Sweeney, author of ‘Hunting Ghislaine’ My book of the year last year, this year and next… What a devastating book about the catastrophic inhumanity of European migration policy. It’s a journalistic masterpiece. Shattering stories. It absolutely demands to be read … Essential.” — Max Porter, author of ‘Grief Is The Thing With Feathers’ A book that might move me to tears?: Bushra al-Maqtari’s What Have You Left Behind, about the devastation of the war in Yemen, which I recently reviewed for The Irish Times; and Alexa Hagerty’s Still Life With Bones, on the exhumation of mass graves in Latin America. It comes out next year but I was sent an early copy.Maar nu gaan dezelfde akkoorden met Tunesië, wat een buurland van Libië is, gesloten worden met waarschijnlijk exact dezelfde resultaten, dat kan je uit dit verhaal al afleiden. What is the most beautiful book that you own?: A first edition of David Copperfield, which was a gift from my grandmother. I haven’t followed her before, but thought to learn about this, since pretty much daily, it’s reported in the UK news about refugees, migrant crisis, asylum seekers, boats entering from France, people dying trying to cross Sea(s), as well as the bad conditions in detention centres. It was about time for me to dig deeper and learn more. Hayden beschrijft hier de Afrikaanse migratie via Ethiopische en Libische smokkelroutes, de oversteek van de Middellandse Zee naar hoofdzakelijk Italië. Ook de verdragen die de EU met de Libische kustwacht afgesloten heeft en wat de gevolgen hiervan zijn komen ruim aan bod. Het is geen verhaal om vrolijk van te worden en het toont nog maar eens aan hoe complex en quasi onoplosbaar dit probleem is.

Published in the UK since 1935, Geographical is the official magazine of the Royal Geographical Society (with IBG). A powerfully written amalgamation of narrative nonfiction and investigative journalism, My Fourth Time We Drownedis compelling reading for a wide audience.”— Mail & Guardian This is powerful political journalism, and needs to be read as such, as she says to Moraes, the chair of the European Parliament's Civil Liberties, Justice and Home Affairs Committee in 2018: Zeno, Ade. "I messaggi dall'inferno libico e la disgustosa ipocrisia dell'Ue"[The messages from Libyan hell and the disgusting hypocrisy of the EU]. EditorialeDomani.it (in Italian).

Thursday 14 July 2022

Intrepidly reported and vividly written, this sobering account shines a spotlight on an underreported tragedy.” —Publishers Weekly

A brilliant, unparalleled investigation of one of the most underreported scandals and monstrous crimes of our time.” — Responsible Statecraft A deeply researched and harrowing chronicle of the experiences of many refugees fleeing dictatorships, violence, persecution, and war. The book is the culmination of a one-woman fact-finding mission to uncover the myriad abuses faced by migrants hoping to make a better life for themselves in Europe.” — Foreign Policy Good journalism of this sort should, at the very least, make the reader angry. Excellent journalism should not only make one angry, it should make the reader feel the pain and the fear intrinsic to the reportage. It should make the reader want to act, to yell, to raise their fist, to do anything but throw up one’s hands in despair. In My Fourth Time, We Drowned, Hayden does all that and more.” —Counterpunch Magazine

Hayden introduces her story with her receiving a Facebook message from a Libyan jail in August 2018, going on to briefly describe the situation for refugees/asylum seekers/economic migrants in Libya. Kafka retold by an Irishwoman in Africa. Read this great book shedding light on a monstrous crime.” —John Sweeney, host of Hunting Ghislaine with John Sweeney Small Things Like These takes the reader to an Irish town in the weeks leading up to the Christmas of 1985, and into the life of Bill Furlong, a coal and timber merchant confronted with an ethical dilemma that has lain dormant in the town for years. With great tenderness, skill and poise, Claire Keegan asks questions of huge moral and political importance: what should we do when we encounter what we know to be wrong? Where, and to whom, do we owe the greatest loyalty? And when does collective silence become complicity?

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment