276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Brightstorm: 1 (The Brightstorm Chronicles)

£3.995£7.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

It was equally exciting and sad. Arthur and Maudie have been my trusted companions and have grown into young adults by the end of Firesong, but I’ve loved delving into another aspect of the world. One of the thrilling thing about creating a fantasy world is that there are any number of possible stories to be told in any number of locations and points in time. Brightstorm gives a series of unfortunate events around the world in 80 days and provides the story with a steampunk twist. The book has quirky characters, skyships, and discerning animals to give an epic and fantastic action-adventure tale. Thus began my reading of Brightstorm. Perhaps that is why I was not thrilled with the beginning of this book. I didn’t get swept up in the steampunk craze that began a number of years ago. I admire the creativity in all the costumes and the art, but not many of the stories enticed me to read them. But the cover on this one…Did you see the cover on this book?? It is simply beautiful! If you have a young reader interested in adventure, books about animals, and airships, this is a perfect book for them. This amazing book by Vashti Hardy keeps the reader engaged and hooked as you go on an epic adventure. This is a fantastic story about sky travel and mystery! Maude and Arthur Brightstorm are twins and from an exploring family. When their dad disappears on an expedition, they know that something isn't quite right. They join another explorer to find out what has hall to their dad.

Space explorers, whether on the ground as scientists or the astronauts themselves, are a hive of amazing inspirational stories.This book tells the stories of 50 women who have contributed to space exploration from the past to modern day.This book is based on the diaries of those who sailed to the South Pole on board The Terra Nova with Captain Scott in 1910. In the story, a member of the crew, Tom Crean, searches for somewhere on the ship where his pet rabbit can make her nest and have her babies. Another thing I like about this story is a character called Felicity. She has enormous feet. Her feet can predict things. It is quite silly and quite fun. He writes a number of very likable characters. The Eastern Isles are not easy to find and holds a lot of secrets. The twins are for the first time separated to live in places they know nothing about. Will they later be reunited? Will they be able to find out what Eudora is up to before it’s too late?

This is not as good as the author’s other books, for me. Turning the environment into a sentient being isn’t a particular original concept—plenty of science fiction television shows, as well as other books, have done it before and much better. I could call the conclusion from a mile away. Once again another amazing land created by Vashti Hardy. I don't know how she creates these worlds - but each time it feels so real and you become so immersed in the story. I loved Orin and his journey - it was exciting and rather fast-paced. Cody, his companion, was incredible and I loved their friendship. It even got a little emotional by the end too, but oh so wonderful! I also love the world Vashti paints too, so much thought and care went into it (including time) and I could visualise this world as being so real, as if it could happen.This book is the best book I’ve ever read and I definitely recommend it! I think anyone 9+ would enjoy this book very much! It is so good! I will definitely be reading the sequel too as this is my new favourite book! Discover an explorer of a different kind in this beautiful and captivating wordless picture book. A lonely girl draws a magic door on her bedroom wall and escapes through it, then uses her red marker to create things to help her on her way, such as a balloon and a flying carpet. A great reminder that we are all explorers of our own imaginations. 7. Survivors byDavid Long, illustrated by Kerry Hyndman Twelve-year-old twins Maudie and Arthur’s world comes crashing in when their explorer dad is reported dead in his mission to get to South Polaris, and they race to restore the family name.A real edge-of-your-seat Victoriana romp.

Author Vashti Hardy knows a thing or two about what makes a thrilling adventure for children - that's what makes her book Brightstormsuch a rip-roaring read! I did a spoiler-free interview with author Vashti Hardy on my YouTube channel, which you can watch here: https://youtu.be/GFD21aGDSVE CROWFALL falls squarely into the cli-fi sub-genre, probably sci-fi leaning rather than fantasy (though, like all Vashti Hardy's books, it's in that science-fantast blurred spot between them.) Orin discovers his leaders are exploiting the island they live on, and have damaged it so badly that it's about to fail. Rather than trying to solve the problem (because that means giving up their benefits), they're going to abandon ship. A pretty easy to understand allegory for our world! The twins are so determined to find him, and their newly discovered aunt is also in the search. Arthur, Maudie, and Harriet Culpepper doubt that the investigation is for covering something else. What might Eudora Vane be looking for in the Eastern Isles? Arthur and Maudie are are children of a popular explorer, Brightstorm. Their father had gone on an journey to the South Polaris when his ship crashed, killing him and the crew.What a wonderful book this one is, with so many important themes and messages about nature and technology, as well as our relationship with both, but told in such a fantastical way, in a way only Vashti Hardy knows how! The female characters are intelligent and very strong, and even though Arthur is physically impaired with only one arm, he still pursues his mission. The secondary characters are phenomenal and exciting and added flavor to the story. The technology, machines, characters, inventions, magic, and wolves make the book a fascinating read. Twins Arthur and Maudie Brightstorm receive word in Lontown that their famous explorer father has died in a failed attempt to reach the southernmost point in the world. Not only that, but he has been accused of stealing fuel before he died! Vashti Hardy is an award-winning United Kingdom writer of children’s books. She taught in primary school for some time and has much interest in children’s stories. She holds a first-class honor teaching degree in English and an MA in creative writing from the University of Chichester. The two end up answering an advertisement to assist a crew in new exploration, hoping to discover the truth. They escape slavery, join a ragtag crew of a Skyship captained by Harriet Culpepper, and start a journey to South Polaris to retrieve their father’s reputation and investigate what happened to their father during the expedition.

Vashti loves adventures and invention and has always been excited by real-life explorers from history. With the use of journals, Vashti creates fantasy worlds during her free time. After quitting teaching, she became a copywriter and digital marketing executive.With bold and bright illustrations, this book is a great way to find out about some unsung heroes and to celebrate the achievements of women around the world. 3. The Polar Bear Explorers' Club byAlex Bell, illustrated by Tomislav Tomic They are devastated by the news and confused, and they don’t know what to believe. After investigation, the Lontown Geographical Society has found Ernest Brightstorm guilty of destroying the expedition of Eudora Vane, his competitor. A mysterious clue makes the twins question the story they’ve just been told. To discover the truth, they’ve to go on a lifetime journey. All across the USA, people are showing up dead. The deaths don't appear to be connected in any way until one particular death occurs and gets the Secretary of Defense's attention. He arranges for a task force to investigate. Maud is a brilliant engineer. Arthur loves to read and learn and discover. Of course, the children still hold hope that perhaps their father survived the expedition south. So when they get the opportunity to go on an expedition south, they jump at the chance to fulfill a life long dream and maybe even find their father, or at the very least, find out the truth of what happened on that trip. How was the Story? Education Shed Ltd, Severn House, Severn Bridge, Riverside North, Bewdley, Worcestershire, UK, DY12 1AB

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment