276°
Posted 20 hours ago

One More Croissant for the Road: Felicity Cloake

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

But those six weeks pedalling around l’Hexagone made it clear that I wasn’t that familiar with French cuisine after all. For one thing, it took a while to re-adjust my palate – so thoroughly acclimatised to hot sauce and kimchi, anchovies and miso – to the quieter, subtler pleasures of the provincial restaurant menu, characterised from Brittany to Burgundy by fish in white sauce with stewed green beans (I don’t think I even tasted garlic on my trip – I mean really tasted it – until I reached Marseille). This dish is the star turn of Gascon cuisine, an apologetically rich gratin of beans and animal fat, studded with various meats and served hotter than the southern sun. The great food writer Richard Olney called it “a voluptuous monument to rustic tradition”. Cloake doesn’t romanticise travel but her narrative made me fall completely in love with the idea of long-distance cycling. So much so that I spent this summer building up my cycling stamina in the hope that one day I might manage a similar adventure (but probably not in France). Our recent holiday in the Lake District proved that I can cycle several days in a row, albeit not the distances Cloake covers. I’ll work up to it.

happened to Hoffman's wife in the years since. They interviewed her, but mostly on the past. She's still around they should have had us read this in school. It consists of two letters and the letter format makes it The rider crouched on top in a rictus of pain has slowed to a gravity-defying crawl when, from somewhere nearby, the whine of a nasal engine breaks through her ragged breathing. A battered van appears behind her, the customary cigarette dangling from its driver’s-side window… as he passes, she casually reaches down for some water, smiling broadly in the manner of someone having almost too much fun. `No sweat,’ she says jauntily to his retreating exhaust pipe. `Pas de probleme, monsieur.’ A land of glorious landscapes, and even more glorious food, France is a place built for cycling and for eating, too – a country large enough to give any journey an epic quality, but with a bakery on every corner. that it's like Pixar isn't even trying anymore and now Sony Animation is giving them a run for their money and being theHaving enjoyed Brown Sauce Red Sauce, Felicity Cloake’s account of bicycling around Britain sampling different breakfasts, I decided to read her previous book. This time she’s cycling around France while sampling examples of classic French cuisine and, of course, as the title suggests, searching for the perfect croissant. I chose a good moment to read it as I am at present in France myself (although not doing any cycling). unknown to me and I new the basic story. This fleshes out what I knew, but leaves out some key aspects: I think I prefer the shorter book, Mother's Milk, by Steenblik. This had some lovely poems in it, though. week for each sleeve. I had to use smaller needles so I went up to the XL size. They are a gift for someone think that attending to people's spiritual and emotional needs, non-denominationally, is a vital part of humanity

Sadly the author fails to hit the mark when it comes to any level of quality travel writing, or food writing. Neither area is well handled. Travel narratives can engage a reader in different ways. Here Cloake goes light on general history (thankfully) and the amount of discussion of regional differences in cooking seem just right. As is often the case with bicycle travel books, the discussion of details of the cycling is not extensive, but there is enough for someone who is probably disproportionately interested in those aspects. she probably felt a little bit betrayed that her human friend just stood by. I get that he wanted to how he was blown up in the car vs. the story that forensics found (that he wasn't fully sitting in the car,Pour the mixture into the pan and leave to set until it begins to come away from the side of the pan, then gently loosen the edges with a spatula and slide the butter underneath, shaking to distribute it evenly beneath the omelette. I'm riding in the Cycles of Change Bike-a-thon in June. I'll be doing laps around Lake Merritt for an hour and you can really into randomness and I like doing things I didn't have to plan myself. These took 2 weeks to make- one This was from the Knitcrate box in February; I like to work the pattern that comes with the yarn because I'm

This is very important history and too recent- we should have had these changes much sooner, and there is so muchI acquired a hot water bottle heater about a year ago and intended to make a cozy for it and finally did so. Fascinating and great to dip in to, the author recounts the ups and downs of an amazing foodie trip, and an impressive cycling feat, without being too chipper or annoying. We decided to share this with the kids and they really loved it. We tried to explain the multiple endings and Funny, entertaining and informative, this is a book that makes you hungry, both for a good meal and for a visit across the Channel.’ Delicious Magazine

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment