276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Book Of Certainty

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Petey is all excited that knowledge will pass, and that we only know a little bit. The problem is that this is about the future and how FULL it will be. IT is actually pathetic that we are living like children with limited knowledge NOW - this isn't something to boast of Petey. Seriously. Put aside childish things (and thinking) and read the entire text in context. Eventually we will be FULLY CERTAIN of everything. WE should be questing for When The Perfect Comes. Only an idiot writes books applauding doubt - when doubt is coming to an end. That kind of faith is not marked by trust in the Creator. It is stressful and anxiety laden, and it doesn't make for healthy relationships with others, including those closest to us." (204) Enough. Peter Enns has abandoned “the faith that was once for all delivered to the saints” (Jude 3). In his own words, “That horse has left the stable” (191). He’s done with “lengthy sermons [at] the center of worship” (193). He’s done with the exclusivity of Christ (135-139). He’s bought into all the old arguments against Scripture and the Gospel – and presumes to have discovered a more ancient path. His way is a “mystical faith,” “a faith that remains open to the ever-moving Spirit and new possibilities” (208), a “transrational” faith (193). “As I was bathing in my inner agnosticism, I was drawn to authors and others who were explicitly outside of the Christian tradition or not as easily recognized as being in it…”

Enns offers a model of vibrant faith that views skepticism not as a loss of belief, but as an opportunity to deepen religious conviction with courage and confidence. This is not just an intellectual conviction, he contends, but a more profound kind of knowing that only true faith can provide.This is where Enns’ book is incredibly strong. I have not read his previous books, so I can’t compare them, but this book feels, at times, like an incredibly personal memoir. And I think what is most helpful about that aspect of this book, is it normalizes the pain an fear that comes from wrestling with these difficult questions that often present themselves in our lives at inconvenient and uninvited times. Robles, J. A. (1981-01-01). "Review of Mathematics, the Loss of Certainty". Crítica: Revista Hispanoamericana de Filosofía. 13 (39): 87–91. JSTOR 40104258.

Sutton, Geoffrey William (2016). "Book Review by Geoffrey Sutton — The Sin of Certainty: Why God Desires Our Trust More Than Our "Correct" Beliefs". Encounter: Journal for Pentecostal Ministry. 13– via ResearchGate. The sections of chapter six comprise his explanations of the five legitimate arguments against Christian faith: Peter Enns says "And with that, I was nostril deep in a faith crisis - which, I don't mind saying, is embarrassing to admit. It wasn't fair. I wasn't ready."

The Book of Certainty

Faith is not only directed toward God but toward other people. Followers of Jesus are to be pistis toward each other--meaning 'faithful' toward each other. As Paul puts it, '...the only thing that counts is faith [ pistis] working through love' (Galatians 5:6). He isn't saying, 'Listen, we've got two things going on here: the faith we have inside and then the love we show toward others.' Replacing 'faith' with faithfulness helps us see Paul's point more clearly. He is saying that faith and love are two sides of the same coin. Much of this book was so “spot on” that I’m not even going to comment much on it (He recommends replacing the words “faith” and “believe” in our reading of the Bible with the word “trust” - since the concept that is most often b I've come to see this process as sacred and ongoing. And it also takes courage--more courage and trust in God than I could have understood before." how Christians mistake “certainty” and “correct belief” for faith when what God really desires is trust and intimacy."

This book is an excellent introduction to Sufism, highly intelligent, balanced, lucid, well-written and in places really eloquent.' But it's okay, Peter says that "Thinking for myself wasn't necessary and in fact was frowned upon. The heavy lifting was done for me. I just needed to agree and sign on the dotted line."

Not only can God not be counted on, but life plays out as one cruel joke after another, and then you die. And God is to blame." (loc 1050) To sum it up: I don't need new ideas about God. I sure don't trust my own thoughts on this. But I don't have to - God gave us HIS WORD. He says repeatedly that we can trust it. That we MUST trust it. He shows us endless examples of what happens to people and nations when they become rebellious and no longer tolerate it. And if in doubt - TEST IT. Argue with God about it. But please - know who your Jesus is. There is not a part of Scripture that he does not misread (Note his atrocious comment on the book of Job, pg. 221). Like God the Father and God the Son, we are also called to be faithful. On one level, we are faithful to God when we trust God. But faith-- pistis--doesn't stop there. It extends, as we've seen, to faithfulness toward each other--in humility and self-sacrificial love. You can't just love and trust Jesus blindly and liberally. Or you might get a Muslim Jesus, a Mormon Jesus, A Buddhist enlightenment Jesus, A Social Justice Warrior Dead-Jew 1st century Zealot Jesus.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment