276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Journey Under the Midnight Sun

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

When a man is found murdered in an abandoned building in Osaka in 1973, unflappable detective Sasagaki is assigned to the case. He begins to piece together the connection of two young people who are inextricably linked to the crime; the dark, taciturn son of the victim and the unexpectedly captivating daughter of the main suspect. Over the next twenty years we follow their lives as Sasagaki pursues the case – which remains unsolved – to the point of obsession. Keigo Higashino ( 東野 圭吾) is one of the most popular and biggest selling fiction authors in Japan—as well known as James Patterson, Dean Koontz or Tom Clancy are in the USA. The Devotion of Suspect X was the second highest selling book in all of Japan— fiction or nonfiction—the year it was published, with over 800,000 copies sold. It won the prestigious Naoki Prize for Best Novel— the Japanese equivalent of the National Book Award and the Man Booker Prize. Made into a motion picture in Japan, The Devotion of Suspect X spent 4 weeks at the top of the box office and was the third highest‐grossing film of the year. Too many characters with confusing names. Many of the characters are non returning. They do their bit in their story then never reappear. Despite this, if you’re familiar with other books of Higashino‘s in English you might find yourself frustrated by certain aspects here. For a start, the story is episodic in nature, perhaps due to the fact the original was serialised in a literary magazine. This leaves us grasping for links between chapters, which don’t become apparent until half way through. The timeline can be a struggle as well, with references to computer technology, video games, baseball and Japanese current affairs dropped in to hint at when the action is occurring. While you might be familiar with the bursting of the Japanese asset price bubble, or Super Mario Brothers, most of us probably don’t know when the Hanshin Tigers broke their title drought, or when the findings of the inquest into Minamata disease were handed down.

Journey Under the Midnight Sun - Kindle edition by Higashino

Journey under the midnight Sun is mixture of obsession, voyeurism, love, trust, betrayal and has been narrated so vividly. Just imagine all the parameters combined with mystery what would be the impact.The most amazing part of this book is not the plot itself! Instead, try concentrating on the details that Higashino-sensei gave you (e.g., what kind of books did the officer saw when he entered the boy's room for the first time at the beginning of the fiction?) and you would be able to so In 1999, he won the Mystery Writers of Japan Inc award for the novel Himitsu (The Secret), which was translated into English by Kerim Yasar and published by Vertical under the title of Naoko in 2004. In 2006, he won the 134th Naoki Prize for Yōgisha X no Kenshin. His novels had been nominated five times before winning with this novel. this is a drama with a story that i doubt i will ever find it again, i love it as much as i hate it, and i have this kind of mixed up feeling while watching it, what they did is really bad and wrong but i really want them to be together and happy bcuz they suffered enough for their whole life and their relationship is really beautiful (exclude the crime). The novel begins in Osaka in 1973 when a man is found stabbed to death in an abandoned building. Detective Sasagaki, the lead officer investigating the case, follows several leads and meets two young children: Ryo, the son of the murdered man, and Yukiho, the daughter of one of the murdered man's acquaintances. Ultimately, Sasagaki is unable to solve the murder. The remainder of the novel is spread over the course of nineteen years. Structurally, the novel may seem like a series of short stories at first. Each chapter introduces and goes into the mind of a new character. However, every character is somehow linked to either Ryo or Yukiho and unusually strange crimes continue to occur. In general, Journey Under The Midnight Sun is a structurally fascinating book. Though the story is almost entirely focused on these two characters, we only ever get to experience them, in passing, through the eyes of the medley of characters that get caught up in their machinations. It’s how Higashino maintains the mystery, with each new character offering a couple of new insights into what’s going on, but it’s all one step removed, and only ever contributes to one elaborate jigsaw puzzle. For the longest time the picture simply doesn’t form. It is almost frustrating because, again, Journey Under The Midnight Sun is a very long book, but the delayed gratification in finally understanding the full picture is all the more worthwhile for it.

Journey Under the Midnight Sun - Keigo Higashino - Google Books

Born in Osaka, he started writing novels while still working as an engineer at Nippon Denso Co. (presently DENSO). He won the Edogawa Rampo Prize, which is awarded annually to the finest mystery work, in 1985 for the novel Hōkago (After School) at age 27. Subsequently, he quit his job and started a career as a writer in Tokyo. Also Known As: Midnight Sun Journey , Journey Under a Midnight Sun , Into the White Night , Byakuyakou , びゃくやこう These are styleframes of its title sequence, the texts showed in the designs is a quote from the novel:Very intelligent story about the personal development of a young but rotten girl to a society high-flyer with the help of a shadow. Who more and more lives in the computers he is so masterly using for creating mayhem and personal gain. A voyage of 19 years from budding criminals to adult ones, giving the readers a great insight into the development of Japanese society from the 1980ies on. A society that is depending more and more on always higher sophisticated computers. Adapted from the novel "Journey Under the Midnight Sun" (白夜行) by Higashino Keigo (東野圭吾). Edit Translation

Journey Under the Midnight Sun Quotes by Keigo Higashino Journey Under the Midnight Sun Quotes by Keigo Higashino

One thing found it confusing or misread, how potassium cyanide and sulfuric acid acid turned into a gas and killed Imeada not Ryo ,how Rayo able to do this, that part I found bit mushy. It didn’t bother me. It excited my curiosity. And I believe there is no greater sin than to leave one’s curiosity unsatisfied.” Book Genre: Asian Literature, Crime, Cultural, Fiction, Japan, Japanese Literature, Mystery, Thriller

The story primarily concerns itself with the effects of this incident on two people: Ryoji Kirihara, the pawnbroker's son, and Yukiho Nishimoto, Fumiyo's daughter. The novel avoids directly revealing the two's thoughts to the reader, instead preferring to reveal information second-hand through the viewpoints of multiple other supporting characters whose lives intersect to form a complete picture of the story's events. Tunnel vision is no way to make it as a researcher. Your assumptions are your worst enemies. Trust them too much, and you’ll fail to see what’s right under your nose.”

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment