276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Split: The most gripping, twisty thriller of the year (A Richard & Judy Book Club pick)

£4.495£8.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

This was definitely the most 'popcorn thriller-y' of all her books that I've read. It's edgier than your standard fare, but it ain't no Dead Scared or Now You See Me in terms of hella disturbing vibes. I can see why this is her highest rated standalone. It's definitely more for the masses. I would recommend this as a solid intro to Bolton's signature writing style if you don't want to dive head first into her grittier reads.

The Split” by Sharon Bolton – Book Review | Fictionophile “The Split” by Sharon Bolton – Book Review | Fictionophile

year-old Megan takes the blame, leaving the others free to get on with their lives. In return, they each agree to a 'favor', payable on her release from prison.Overall, I think Sharon Bolton is a master of this genre as yet again it’s a book that is impossible to put down. I wasn’t sure how she’d follow The Split but she sure has!

The Split - Macmillan The Split - Macmillan

Ever since reading Donna Tartt's The Secret History, my favourite theme has remained a guilty secret amongst school or uni friends. Here we have Xavier, Felix, David, Amber, Talitha, and Megan, prefects at an independent school in Oxford who have sat their GCSEs and are awaiting starting university. Megan is the outlier; though Head Girl at the school, she is a scholarship student. Bored, they are seeking thrills on the motorway, taking turns driving fast in the oncoming carriageway for a couple of miles till they reach the next exit slipway. When it's Dan's turn, disaster strikes, an oncomig Vauxhall Astra goes off the road avoiding them, catches fire and explodes. It appears their golden futures are ruined. But Megan offers to take the blame. She will admit to having been the lone driver, but in exchange the rest of them will promise to fulfil one request from each when she has served her term. They accept this bargain but when it turns out that the victims were a mother and two small children and CCTV evidence makes it appear that Megan had been habitually driving dangerously on the motorway, she is sentenced to a life tariff, with a minimum of twenty years in prison. And now she's out again, with her list of demands and overflowing with anger at their neglect of her whilst she was in stir.Return to the worlds of The Craftsman and Lacey Flint in this first short story collection from Sharon Bolton, International award-winning author of The Split. Another super suspenseful thriller from Sharon Bolton! And this one is set in the icy wilds of South Georgia, an island in the Southern Atlantic. However, first we meet a number of important characters in Cambridge where this tale begins:

The Split by Sharon J. Bolton | Goodreads The Split by Sharon J. Bolton | Goodreads

S.J. Bolton has won several awards for her writing. For example, in 2010 she won the Mary Higgins Clark award for her second novel, which is entitled ‘The Awakening’. The Mary Higgins Clark Award is a prestigious award for writers of crime and mystery fiction. It is named after Mary Higgins Clark (the pen name of Mary Theresa Eleanor Higgins Clark Conheeney), a US author of mystery and suspense novels who was born in 1927 and it is awarded annually.Then there’s this bloke called Freddie Lloyd, just released from prison for murder and is trying to hunt Felicity down. She is very aware of this, and he is persistent, and vicious. Homeless people play a significant part in this story, which is good to see – providing a window into how our homeless brothers and sisters live. Although a terrible inferno ravaged their home to the ground, Gillian still strongly believes that her daughter is still alive. To start. What we have here is a bunch of highly privilege students, with the exception of one of them who comes from a working class, single parent household. They are all the best of friends. Well, they were when the book starts. Sharon Bolton has recently become one of my favorite authors - her books are always atmospheric, eerie, and darkly twisted - all elements that I love in a psychological thriller. I have to say though (and I think I am in the minority here), that I did not love this one. Having taken up swimming in the Thames, she draws closer to Detective Mark Joesbury, and even finds happiness as she begins recovering from the terrible events of the last few months.

Sharon Bolton - Wikipedia Sharon Bolton - Wikipedia

But a therapist from Cambridge has been worried about Felicity. He is on his way to the remote island to try and get to her before Freddie.

Felicity literally ran away to the end of the world to escape the traumatic events of Cambridge. But even Antarctica isn't far enough to truly be safe from the horror of her past. We first meet Felicity, a well known glaciologist who is currently stationed in South Georgia. The story is divided into parts, South Georgia Present Day is Part One. She is worried about the last tourist boat that is arriving. There is someone in her life that she is very afraid of and she worries that he will find her here, even so far from the mainland. If her worst fears are confirmed she has a plan. .. Before finding out their A Level test results, six friends are spending their night drinking by the pool, which is the norm for them. They foolishly decide to continue a dare where one of them have to drive the wrong direction on a highway for approximately 2 miles. Daniel is the only one who hasn’t had a turn yet. Unfortunately, this stupid stunt results in the horrific death of a woman and her two young daughters. He is aware that the victims are all boys, just like him, and that their lifeless bodies were discovered on the nearby river banks.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment